JohnnY

Studio Ghibli closing down?

No :( I just saw Princess Mononoke last night too, damn.

Oh BTW JohnnY, can you please change your list to the Top 100 Animated films thread to remove or replace the short films? Thanks

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/15807-bofs-top-100-animated-films-of-all-time-taken-over-from-films-thread/

Oh, there's only one short film in my list (Logorama, 59th position), you can ignore it.

They should sell themselves to Disney.

Or, they could try making sequels to films that did well. I know they are against sequels, but still, it is a way to keep their brand alive.

Well, they have made some sequels, but I'd rather they close doors than sell their souls.

• Like 3

It turns out they're NOT closing down, they're just restructuring to see where to go next, no one has been fired btw. The whole situation is just poor translation.http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-is-not-dead-yet-1615520289

Even so, it's still pretty devastating news to the industry. Pixar's had their issues but they've never completely halted film production.

It turns out they're NOT closing down, they're just restructuring to see where to go next, no one has been fired btw. The whole situation is just poor translation.http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-is-not-dead-yet-1615520289

Yeah, they are kind of temporarily closing down. But what does "see where to go next" even means??? we can't know for sure when or if they are gonna create new stories.

Anyway, they are too famous and influential to close down for good, I believe that eventually they will come back.

It seems like the studio's in a position not unlike Disney 10 or 30 years ago, when the return on investment for their animated films was really slim (or negative) and they weren't sure if they'd keep the division open or possibly start farming it out. I wonder if the latter might happen to a degree, with Yonebayashi and possibly Goro Miyazaki directing efforts that are animated by other studios rather than Ghibli's own employees. They could keep the Studio Ghibli name for such things, at least.

I liked Poppy Hill quite a bit. How bad is Tales From Earthsea really? Was it a huge improvement?

Earthsea is pretty lackluster, but not as dire as many people indicate. Still, Goro Miyazaki probably wasn't ready or skilled enough to direct such a production. Poppy Hill is quite an improvement.