Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

7 minutes ago, kells said:

What’s wrong with it? Maybe you should post the full review instead of select snippets of it meant to incite a specific reaction. Weird to snark about how someone who identifies with the main character’s feeling of hopelessness reacts to the movie. The book is loved by a lot of people for reasons like that. And sometimes, people get emotional. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I see that someone is trying to keep his reputation as the most over the top fan on this website.

Huh? If anyone's got feet to stand on saying this sort of thing it's those speaking about Avatar 2. I mean it's from James Cameron the man whose already made Avatar AND Titanic... not to mention his earlier works.

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Those moved by tears reviews for BP and Wonder Woman were understandable.

But I didn't know Wrinkle had such a big fanbase?

It's been a classic of kid's literature since it was first published in 1962, and it's been continually in print since then. It was one of the earliest SF novels to have a girl protagonist as well.

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Those moved by tears reviews for BP and Wonder Woman were understandable.

But I didn't know Wrinkle had such a big fanbase?

I actually don’t know how big the fan base is, but I read it when I was younger and was really looking forward to this adaptation. I remember even liking the TV movie. I re-read the book recently and noticed things I didn’t pick up on when I was younger. I just liked the characters and how much they were able to overcome. They were appealing for the same reason Harry Potter was. 

It’s kinda fun to reread some books I read as a kid. Animal Farm took on a whole new meaning between reading it as a 7 year old and as a 17 year old. 

• Like 5

I have never been an A for effort type when it comes to film. Either you delivered something worth while or you didn't. I recall john carter and Tomorrowland's mixed reviews and I think that both are mediocre films. I know that there is a 90% chance that I will feel the same about Wrinkle so there is no need for me to go out and see a mediocre film again. Because Hollywood is racist and only gives people who look like Zack Snyder a million chances, despite my disdain for Wrinkle's completely unearned Time Mag cover hype, I have no choice but to hope it makes at least 300mil worldwide. Hopefully 350-400mil.

• ...wtf 1

54 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

What’s wrong with it? Maybe you should post the full review instead of select snippets of it meant to incite a specific reaction. Weird to snark about how someone who identifies with the main character’s feeling of hopelessness reacts to the movie. The book is loved by a lot of people for reasons like that. And sometimes, people get emotional. 

Even taking that into account. that language was so over the top it comes off like parody.

And ,yeah, when writing is that bad I will snark about it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I have never been an A for effort type when it comes to film. Either you delivered something worth while or you didn't. I recall john carter and Tomorrowland's mixed reviews and I think that both are mediocre films. I know that there is a 90% chance that I will feel the same about Wrinkle so there is no need for me to go out and see a mediocre film again. Because Hollywood is racist and only gives people who look like Zack Snyder a million chances, despite my disdain for Wrinkle's completely unearned Time Mag cover hype, I have no choice but to hope it makes at least 300mil worldwide. Hopefully 350-400mil.

I don't get this "I hate this movie b/c it was highlighted on a magazine cover" feeling.  Magazines are always looking to sell copies.  They will use any excuse to put high-selling celebrities on the cover.  Oprah is one of them...Princess Kate/Prince William and especially the kids are another...I'm sure there are more...

This movie has Oprah in it...so of course, the movie and she will be on covers everywhere.  Who cares?

Of all the things to like or hate a movie for, a magazine cover isn't one of them...  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

What school assigns Animal Farm to second graders?

Good Question, since the whole point of Orwell writing it was as an attack on Stalin's Russia. TO see it just as a kid's story missed the whole damn point.

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

SO we should support a medicore/crap movie just because it was directed by an African American Woman?

I could not disagree more.

And dragging in Zack Snyder is a WTF moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

There was bound to be less excitement for Wrinkle after BP.
The same thing applied to Wonder Woman last year.

Nobody gave a crap about Justice League after Wonder Woman because her solo movie already came out.

.......:I don’t know where to start with this.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

What school assigns Animal Farm to second graders?

It wasn’t assigned, but I read it over the summer. I probably picked it because of the title, and I remember liking it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

About F8, I'm glad for the director's success but the movie was going do great regardless. The Fast franchise is a will oiled franchise at this point and it was never not going to be a hit.

The media's reaction to that movie was "What, another Fast movie?" instead of how important it was because of its black director like BP or Wrinkle.

To be fair Singleton had already done FF2, even if keyboard warriors ignored that at the time as somebody alluded to already, those movies weren’t respectable enough to even comment upon.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

well, Justin Lin. Ang Lee and John Woo made a couple of hits too.

Woo really opened the door for more Asian/Asian-American directors to get Hollywood directing gigs. I’ve argued before this alone (even we before his filmography highlights) make him prime honorary Oscar material.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

It wasn’t assigned, but I read it over the summer. I probably picked it because of the title, and I remember liking it. 

Same, albeit slightly later in life than you. Reminds me of when around that same age I also read 1984 and then laughed when I got older that was required high school reading.