eXtacy

Wednesday Numbers: GOTG 8.8 (-26%), Lucy 1.9, Herc 1.16

Guardians does have one thing going in it's favor. It still has all of the Imax theaters. That may give it the edge. But Turtles will be coming on strong. Will be interesting to see.

Keeping IMAX will be huge but it's going to be losing or splitting lots of 3D theaters because of not just Turtles but those contracts made for Into The Storm (ugh) and 44% of it's business last w/e was 3D.

Guardians does have one thing going in it's favor. It still has all of the Imax theaters. That may give it the edge. But Turtles will be coming on strong. Will be interesting to see.

If Turtles is truly outpacing GI:Joe, which opened to $54M, I don't see how Guardians even has a chance.

• Like 1

If Turtles is truly outpacing GI:Joe, which opened to $54M, I don't see how Guardians even has a chance.

Weekend BO doesn't quite work like that or TA wouldn't have destroyed OW record. Pre-sales gives us an indication but walk ups are just as important. 

Strong Wednesday number. 

8.0M Thursday (-10%)

14.0M Friday (+75%)

19.0M Saturday (+35%)

14.25M Sunday (-25%)

47.25M sub 50% drop.

That Fri jump seems too big for an early Aug Friday especially for a movie that a sizable % of family/kids business.

Edited by TalismanRing

That Fri jump seems too big for an early Aug Friday especially for a movie that a sizable % of family/kids business.

Rise jumped 87% with similar release date and holds throughout the week so my 75% maybe conservative. 

• Like 1

Strong Wednesday number. 8.0M Thursday (-10%)14.0M Friday (+75%)19.0M Saturday (+35%)14.25M Sunday (-25%)47.25M sub 50% drop.

I think it might be on the high end, but I'm super glad its actually within the realm of realistic possibilities. Personally I'm just happy sub-55% seems to be looking good.
  • Like 1

Much like what happened with CATWS & Rio 2, I think TMNT will get off to a fast start with GotG closing the gap on Saturday and/or Sunday.   It'll be an interesting weekend.

Yeah Turtles could be No 1 Friday but come out 2 for the weekend if wom is toxic. 

Edited by Caladbolg

Rise jumped 87% with similar release date and holds throughout the week so my 75% maybe conservative. 

Rise was an older and more adult skewing movie - just like Dawn has shown itself to be. It also opened about 40% lower and didn't have $11.2m Thur from pent up fans of an enormous brand.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Rise was an older and more adult skewing movie - just like Dawn has shown itself to be. It also opened about 40% lower and didn't have $11.2m Thur from pent up fans of an enormous brand.

While I agree with this, I still can see Guardians jumping 70%+ from Thursday to Friday. I don't see 75% though.

Hence I went with 75% jump but let's say it only jumps 65%, it would still make 45M for the weekend. Regardless, it's in for 2nd strongest 2nd weekend of the year and strongest by a 90M+ opener. 

Keeping IMAX will be huge but it's going to be losing or splitting lots of 3D theaters because of not just Turtles but those contracts made for Into The Storm (ugh) and 44% of it's business last w/e was 3D.

I don't think Into the Storm is in 3D.

I'm surprised Into The Storm isn't in 3D it seems like the kind of movie - almost all special effects, not charatcer based etc that would most benefit from it - but maybe it was too expensive with all those twisters.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-weekend-behind-the-scenes-a-fight-for-screens/

Yeah I misread.  Into The Storm has a lock on the PLF screens

The PLFs charge a higher ticket price so distribs always want those screens, especially for the films that have a strong fanboy base. Theaters across the country, for the most part, now are equipped with 3D capability, but not all have the giant screens. To show the impact, Guardians Of The Galaxy had 367 PLF, 352 Imax, and 112 XD (which is part of the same category of screens). 3D accounted for $41 million of its weekend take. Domestically, Imax took in 12% of the gross ($11.6 million) and accounted for eight of the top 10 of Guardians’ best-performing locales. Other PLFs pulled in about 8% of Guardians’ gross ($7.5 million).

Edited by TalismanRing

It would be great to see both do around $45 million this weekend.

I agree! Although I'm not convinced TMNT deserves success yet (will probably see it with my nephew this weekend) I am a part of the August over July 2014 thread.