eXtacy

Wednesday Numbers: GOTG 8.8 (-26%), Lucy 1.9, Herc 1.16

If this makes $45m+ this weekend, I think $300m is definitely possible. It will be a struggle but doable. I'm really rooting for this!

Labor day weekend will really help, it might stay flat or even increase that week. 

• Like 1

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes jumped 78.8% on its 2nd friday. 

Rise jumped 87% with similar release date and holds throughout the week so my 75% maybe conservative. 

Why is that the only film you are comparing it to?  Why not compare it to other films as well?  Apes and GotG are not going for the same audience.  

I see a jump between 50-60% this Friday.

Don't you think that the dailies at this point are expected?  Tomorrow it will drop about 8-12% and that too will be normal.  The legs will show this weekend and even moreso next weekend.

I think its Sunday/Monday/Tuesday holds have been enormously good. This is really the first kind of 'fine' day in its run so far. 

• Like 2

Why is that the only film you are comparing it to?  Why not compare it to other films as well?  Apes and GotG are not going for the same audience.  

Guardians of the Galaxy attracted more younger and female audiences than Dawn of the Apes............

• Like 1

Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Ice Age CD and TDKR all had jumps in the 55-65% range.  I think those films are much more comparable to GOTG than Apes is.

• Like 1

I think its Sunday/Monday/Tuesday holds have been enormously good. This is really the first kind of 'fine' day in its run so far. 

I think the holds have been typical, nothing outstanding and nothing terrible.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy attracted more younger and female audiences than Dawn of the Apes............

Exactly, so why would it jump the same as Apes did?

We will see on Friday won't we. I think you'll be wrong again and I'll be right again.  ;)  :P

• Like 3

Well, I am having a hard time understanding the box office this summer, so if I'm wrong it won't surprise me....having said that, I think I'll be right.  :)

• Like 1

Well, I am having a hard time understanding the box office this summer, so if I'm wrong it won't surprise me....having said that, I think I'll be right.   :)

Even if it only jumps 60% on Friday, it's still looking at 44M+ weekend or 53.4% drop. Easily the best drop by 90M+ opener. 

• Like 1

One advantage that GOTG has over TWS is that GOTS is not a sequel, so it should automatically be less frontloaded than TWS. :)

It's still Marvel which has become the new PIXAR brand recognition and built in audience wise. It $11.2m on Thur (10% more than TWS) and had a slightly lower w/e.  Iron Man had $1.5m midnights.  Avengers which opened to $207m had just $18m midnights.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

It's still Marvel which has become the new PIXAR brand recognition and built in audience wise. It $11.2m on Thur (10% more than TWS) and had a slightly lower w/e.  Iron Man had $1.5m midnights.  Avengers which opened to $207m had just $18m midnights.

GOTG is a lot more accessible to families compared to CA:TWS which should help with 2nd weekend hold. 

• Like 1

What are you arguing?

In general Pixar movies have had good legs and aren't too frontloaded. You really can't compare the studios anyway, since Pixar only does animated movies.