filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

People should really stop trying to convince others of why they are mistaken after they've already made their point as to why they didn't like the movie. I get it if the person is a troll, hasn't seen the movie, makes illogical conclusions and statements etc. but when you try to argue that they should find this type of humour funny, that's just retarded. Humour is not a one size fits all.

Agreed and liking the movie basically hinged on liking the comedy in it because the action parts weren't nearly as exciting as the ones in winter soldier, so I can understand why people didn't like the movie even though I did.
  • Like 2

I also didn't find anything amusing about GOTG.  I knew from the trailers and the awful music cues that the film wouldn't be for me (but I see everything I can) and that same tone lasted for nearly 120 minutes.  Could not stand Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana is as bland and wooden as ever.  BTW, why are the villains in the Marvel universe so incredibly weak?  There is never the feeling of any real danger or risk.

Won't spoil but there was a scene in this that I hated almost as much as the out-of-place dancing in DH1.

But I was pleasantly surprised by Vin Diesel and Batista.  Not sure if Batista's odd line readings were intentional or not, but they worked. And the film looked great, too.  

One thing is for certain.  The trailers were not misleading in the least.  

Wonder if anything Marvel is golden or if people like this kind of film specifically?

• Like 1

People should really stop trying to convince others of why they are mistaken after they've already made their point as to why they didn't like the movie.

I get it if the person is a troll, hasn't seen the movie, makes illogical conclusions and statements etc. but when you try to argue that they should find this type of humour funny, that's just retarded. Humour is not a one size fits all. 

In an ideal world, discrepancies in opinions should lead to debates on what can be found in a film, and what they experienced. You won't always change the other person's opinion (Hell, it rarely happens), but it's the real juice of what makes film discussion great.

• Like 6

I also didn't find anything amusing about GOTG.  I knew from the trailers and the awful music cues that the film wouldn't be for me (but I see everything I can) and that same tone lasted for nearly 120 minutes.  Could not stand Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana is as bland and wooden as ever.  BTW, why are the villains in the Marvel universe so incredibly weak?  There is never the feeling of any real danger or risk. Won't spoil but there was a scene in this that I hated almost as much as the out-of-place dancing in DH1. But I was pleasantly surprised by Vin Diesel and Batista.  Not sure if Batista's odd line readings were intentional or not, but they worked. And the film looked great, too. One thing is for certain.  The trailers were not misleading in the least. Wonder if anything Marvel is golden or if people like this kind of film specifically?

I'm a huge fan of Gunn's work, so the odd tones/humor worked for me big time. Basically, GOTG was like watching one of my favorite cult directors get a ton of studio money and told, "Go to town!" For me, it worked and it was a wonderful experience.I'm also a big Marvel fan. At worst, their films are an entertaining distraction. At best, they are, for me, pop culture gems. So I guess the answer to your question is, they're both. And there's nothing wrong with that. ;)
  • Like 1

In an ideal world, discrepancies in opinions should lead to debates on what can be found in a film, and what they experienced. You won't always change the other person's opinion (Hell, it rarely happens), but it's the real juice of what makes film discussion great.

nope, you all need to like what others like or you are all stupid poopie heads

:P

• Like 5

I also didn't find anything amusing about GOTG.  I knew from the trailers and the awful music cues that the film wouldn't be for me (but I see everything I can) and that same tone lasted for nearly 120 minutes.  Could not stand Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana is as bland and wooden as ever.  BTW, why are the villains in the Marvel universe so incredibly weak?  There is never the feeling of any real danger or risk.

Won't spoil but there was a scene in this that I hated almost as much as the out-of-place dancing in DH1.

But I was pleasantly surprised by Vin Diesel and Batista.  Not sure if Batista's odd line readings were intentional or not, but they worked. And the film looked great, too.  

One thing is for certain.  The trailers were not misleading in the least.  

Wonder if anything Marvel is golden or if people like this kind of film specifically?

Ultron should be fairly menacing in Avengers 2. His design looks really cool too

Posted Image

Edited by eXtacy

My only complaint on GOTG was that the villains looked like they came straight from a power rangers shoot. Ronan, Thanos and Nebula looked made for a tv show and not really menacing. Also the Peter-mother angle seemed forced and bland. But other than that, it was magnificent. Visuals were astonishing, action scenes brilliant, and the music was gorgeous.

• Like 2

GET ON UP is anything but a chart-topper, as it fell -63% w/ just $5M in its 2nd tour, $23M total.

Expand

[*] 

A 63% for this kind of movie is actually kind of terrible, especially off an already lackluster opening.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

One of the things I found to be incredibly stupid in the GOTG (and this is apparently one of the parts that people love is)

getting rid of the villain by distracting him with a dance recital.  It was like I was watching Scooby Doo.  If that wasn't Marvel, it would have been ripped to shreds.  But Marvel can do wrong right now.

• Like 5

I don't just like anything marvel poops out. they've made a few lame films like thor 2. can't get enough of dem guardians though. like i said in the gotg thread i haven't watched a movie this many times in theaters in over a decade.

• Like 1

My only complaint on GOTG was that the villains looked like they came straight from a power rangers shoot. Ronan, Thanos and Nebula looked made for a tv show and not really menacing. Also the Peter-mother angle seemed forced and bland. But other than that, it was magnificent. Visuals were astonishing, action scenes brilliant, and the music was gorgeous.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

One of the things I found to be incredibly stupid in the GOTG (and this is apparently one of the parts that people love is)

getting rid of the villain by distracting him with a dance recital.  It was like I was watching Scooby Doo.  If that wasn't Marvel, it would have been ripped to shreds.  But Marvel can do wrong right now.

You know it would have been funny if Ronan say stopped that you scaring me!

The only thing I wish is that TMNT was age appropriate for my toddler son. I try to get excited to spend $30 to go see something like Planes 2, and I just can't! And I don't think he'd make it through GOTG without getting scared during some moments.Like, I basically keep thinking what if TMNT was as all-ages family oriented as The LEGO movie had been? Or, if it had been directed by Lord & Miller?

• Like 1

The only thing I wish is that TMNT was age appropriate for my toddler son. I try to get excited to spend $30 to go see something like Planes 2, and I just can't! And I don't think he'd make it through GOTG without getting scared during some moments.Like, I basically keep thinking what if TMNT was as all-ages family oriented as The LEGO movie had been? Or, if it had been directed by Lord & Miller?

Well since hes a toddler its not the scared parts, more like confused.