Let's Be Cops (2014)

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's not a particularly good movie, but it's funny, and Johnson/Wayans have the same great chemistry we know from New Girl. Both of them can sustain feature films. Sort of like a shittier 21 Jump Street, which is still a passing grade from me.

It was alright. Got off slow, but then got good. Ride Along had better comedy bits, but this had better serious moments. I thought they were actually handled pretty well and Mossi was actually a menace. Wayans and Johnson were the best part obviously the only reason I went. Love them in New Girl. Key was the highlight and stole all his scenes. Dobrev was great to look at, but her character was like a piece of wood just chilling on the porch. Riggle was great of course as well. Some funny bits, the ACE Hardware was great, and then some slow moments, but it was redeemable. 

B-

• Like 3

I saw the movie tonight and thought it was pretty funny.  Before I went into the movie, I had looked at the reviews on RT and saw that it had gotten some bad reviews, but it was the only movie in the theater playing near me and I just wanted to watch a movie on Friday night, so I went in expecting some cheap laughs.

It turned out to be better than I thought, I'm surprised that at the low reviews on RT.  I thought it was a lot better than "Tammy", "Sex Tape", and "Lucy."  The movie was entertaining to me the whole time, even if it's not a masterpiece of film.  Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. are a funny pair on screen.  Some of the other characters are pretty funny as well.

Overall I'd say it's worth seeing, the entertainment is worth the time.

• Like 2

What a shock...another movie the critics are wrong about.

I didnt even look at reviews and idk what the current score is. I went for Jake and Damon and it delivered. Not sure why people here put so much stock in RT score. I honestly think the RT countdown thing we do every movie is kinda stupid. I feel like it gives members false impressions. Just judge for yourself.I trust social media reactions more than critic ones. People on Twitter said it was funny, so I went. Im not hard to please.

Saw it last night it's actually not a bad movie it was a lot fun and I liked the two lead characters thought they had decent chemistry together for a buddy movie it had a lot of funny scenes especially when they go into the ace hardware store and the big naked fat guy got on Damon wayans jr.'s character why I thought it was hearing wrecking ball playing in the background and it was a lot better than Ride Along while it was nothing perfect it was very funny and a lot of fun I would definitely check it out when it hits DVD and bluray around Christmas. Grade:B

What a shock...another movie the critics are wrong about.

It's hard to really say they're wrong, especially when all the audience ratings are fairly mediocre for this early to.You also have to read some of the reviews, most aren't saying it's terrible, most are saying it's alright but not as funny as it could be and so it's getting a slightly negative rating. Also, critics see a lot more movies than the GA and it's their job to make an evaluation of it. Therefore they are much more prone of being *gasp* critical of a movie. The GA is more likely to enjoy a film because they see less movies and aren't asked to write a review and grade it afterwards.Comedies especially are graded harder because critics see a lot of comedies and many of them use the same jokes, this they aren't as funny when you have seen it done over and over again. The GA doesn't and so many of them they still find funny because they haven't seen countless comedies that year make the same jokes.

It's hard to really say they're wrong, especially when all the audience ratings are fairly mediocre for this early to.You also have to read some of the reviews, most aren't saying it's terrible, most are saying it's alright but not as funny as it could be and so it's getting a slightly negative rating.Also, critics see a lot more movies than the GA and it's their job to make an evaluation of it. Therefore they are much more prone of being *gasp* critical of a movie. The GA is more likely to enjoy a film because they see less movies and aren't asked to write a review and grade it afterwards.Comedies especially are graded harder because critics see a lot of comedies and many of them use the same jokes, this they aren't as funny when you have seen it done over and over again. The GA doesn't and so many of them they still find funny because they haven't seen countless comedies that year make the same jokes.

Why are you talking to me like this is my first day at a movie website?

It's not a good movie. The tone weirdly shifts in the last 30 minutes in a way that hurts what comes before and after that shift. The character development is lazy. There's no intellectual wiggle room even though the film decides last-minute it wants to have a point. Most of it is lazily shot with lame duck coloring and scenes that usually go on too long. It's yet another movie this summer with shitty parts for women that mostly just glorify their breasts. 

But I do think it's funny, even if I'd never see it again. I think there can be a difference between "good" and "funny." 

• Community Manager

I don't know. I guess the critics are right: Let's Be Cops has a nice comedic pair but ultimately, it's an uninspired and  predictable affair. There's some laughs in there but it's at best, mildly amusing.

C

Because that comment was something somebody would say on their first day on a movie website.

You just don't want to see to accept the fact that critics mean nothing, that audiences don't care about what they say.  Critics are about as useless as your opinion on a movie is to me.  :)

Edited by baumer

You just don't want to see to accept the fact that critics mean nothing, that audiences don't care about what they say. Critics are about as useless as your opinion on a movie is to me. :)

Given the lackluster opening for LBC maybe the audience did listen to the critics? Critics have weight on box office depending on the movie, however the higher the profile the less their opinion will matter on if people go to see it or not.