kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

Thread idea: Why Didn't Families Flock To Expendables 3 Despite All-Important PG-13? I Mean, The Parents Must Have Seen Passenger 57 When They Were Kids And Wanted Their Children To Experience The Rebirth Of Snipes?

They very clearly did not bet on black.
  • Like 7

And damn, i want to finally be able to see this movie... still not opened here :(

Did you not get the previews? It was very difficult to get tickets here, but...

But in less than 2 weeks.... we saw the trailer yesterday for the first time in the cinema, in GERMAN => grausig, I think the voices partly do not match at all

Box Office Mojo @boxofficemojo 59 secs

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is $21 million away from becoming the #1 movie of the Summer: http://bit.ly/1kMda14 

Jeremy Kay @JKmovies 5 mins

Full int'l #boxoffice report with #China, France, UK updates. #Howtotrainyourdragon2 rules on $33.7M. @Screendaily: http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/dragon-2-soars-to-26m-in-china/5076327.article 

new BOM weekend report / article

Box Office Mojo @boxofficemojo 46 mins

Weekend Report: 'Ninja Turtles,' 'Guardians of the Galaxy' crush weak 'Expendables'... http://bit.ly/1Ap6xp9 

• Like 1

Well my post is going to be redundant, but WOW that is disappointing for EX3! I wonder if the leak really did have a big impact.

That is a GREAT hold for Guardians, this film is doing really well! Far beyond my expectations anyways. I had no idea what to expect with this film, but what the film turned out to be is not exactly what I expected in certain ways. This may bode well for Jupiter Ascending; if it has enough humor smartly mixed in with the action and storyline, then it could do well at the box office. Guardians proves that an obscure-looking film (albeit one with a built-in fanbase) can do well if the film hits the right notes with the audience.

• Like 3

Did you not get the previews? It was very difficult to get tickets here, but...

But in less than 2 weeks.... we saw the trailer yesterday for the first time in the cinema, in GERMAN => grausig, I think the voices partly do not match at all

I am not sure that we got previews for it in the two english language cinemas in Vienna (i really dont want to see this in german)... anyways i really wonder whether the movie will do well in german speaking countries or whether it will perform a bit like the lego movie. The humor in GotG again might be a bit US centric... anyways i am looking forward to seeing the movie :)

Ahhh that fundamental America/Europe cinema difference.

Lucy is not a good example of this - yes, "sexuality" is one of the reasons given in the info box on its R rating, but there were no sex scenes or nipples or really much of anything beyond the stock footage of animals doing it at the beginning, and how Lucy gets the keys from the guard. I'm not even sure if there was even ONE utterance of "fuck." IMO, Lucy is a perfect recent example of a film getting an R primarily because of its violence. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I am not sure that we got previews for it in the two english language cinemas in Vienna (i really dont want to see this in german)... anyways i really wonder whether the movie will do well in german speaking countries or whether it will perform a bit like the lego movie. The humor in GotG again might be a bit US centric... anyways i am looking forward to seeing the movie :)

The previews were in bigger cinemas here (10 cities) in English with German subtitles

As the people laughed so hard a lot, for the first time since a long time I was a bit glad for them (I usually prefer, if at all, the English ones) as they helped a great deal to understand the next sentences :)

Out of the above linked BOM weekend report:

The Top 12 earned an estimated $128.8 million this weekend, which is up six percent from the same frame last year. This August remains on track to be the biggest ever at the domestic box office with around $1 billion.

Fingers crossed the summer will be not THAT bad as it still looked like e.g. in July

• Like 1

Lucy is not a good example of this - yes, "sexuality" is one of the reasons given in the info box on its R rating, but there were no sex scenes or nipples or really much of anything beyond the stock footage of animals doing it at the beginning, and how Lucy gets the keys from the guard. I'm not even sure if there was even ONE utterance of "fuck."IMO, Lucy is a perfect recent example of a film getting an R primarily because of its violence.

Not sure about that, as in my country usually gets seen rather sternly

It might have to do with the

blood / operation scenes or the forced on drug consume?

?

Yeah, that stuff contributed big-time to the R, I think.This is one of those examples where it seems like the American and European reasons for a restrictive rating match up. That was my point, people say "sex is more likely to get a film an R in America, while violence is more likely to get a film the equivalent rating in Europe" but with Lucy it seems that the violence and graphic stuff was the reason in BOTH places.

Edited by TServo2049

We're in 2014. You seem to be in 1994 and I'm super jealous.

Well then this is awkward because youre conversating with a 1 year old :lol: Its an old theater with uncomfortable cloth seats, and the aisle runs down the middle, but for its age, the sound and projection systems are up to date. Popcorn actually costs more than a ticket. I still go to the megaplex every now and then (which is relatively cheap), but this theater is a crown jewel that I must mine. $9 for me and my gf? I can actually afford dinner afterwards! The most expensive for an adult 2D night here is $11. The Liemax is $14. The average is $10. The most expensive in the state is probably $16 for RPX at the busiest theater. At home, normal adult its $9, I pay $8 with my student ID. I dont know what I did to deserve these prices, but Im very thankful lol.
  • Like 1

Yeah, that stuff contributed big-time to the R, I think.This is one of those examples where it seems like the American and European reasons for a restrictive rating match up...

Or not, as we got the '12y' rating...

R-rating means as far as I know at least 17y old or accompanied by an adult

12y means here no matter if an adult is with you or not, you have to be at least 12 years old. It's the only age-classification where an accompanying parent and a consenting cinema might allow an at least 6y old too, but not if the adult os e.g. an older sibling

A lot of your R-rated movies get here a 'at least 16y old' classification. Means even with your parents with you, you are not allowed to watch the movie as a 15y old

=> it looks like this is a case where it is seen less problematic as the usually R-rated movies

We have also movies rated 'at least 16y old' that got in the US PG13

Well my post is going to be redundant, but WOW that is disappointing for EX3! I wonder if the leak really did have a big impact.

I think the leak/pirated copy making a huge impact is up for debate since we have seen time and time again that piracy doesn't really hurt movies (I imagine 99% of people who pirate movies in general are those who either were on the fence about or weren't really planning on seeing the movie in theaters in the first place). The second Expendables saw a drop-off from the first when everyone was expecting it to at least stay flat with the first, and the marketing for this one did little to differentiate itself.

• Like 1