Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The mermaid attack sequence is spectacular and ranks among the best scenes in the series. Cruz was enjoyable, but some of this felt really tried (why weren't there any ship battles?!). But it didn't bore me much and the mermaid subplot made it somewhat interesting.

B-

Edited by Noctis

Saw this on TV for the first time not too long ago. Really dull and boring that had nothing good from the originals. Atleast AWE was a great unintentional comedy. And Cruz with her annoying as fuck accent really got on my nerves, especially the very last scene.F

Just horrible, not two ways about it. They don't get right even easiest things, like sound editing or visuals. Example?

from 1:43 to 1:45

Enough said.

For anyone who thinks this is the best of the sequels, I advise you to rewatch all of them in order.

• Like 1

Just horrible, not two ways about it. They don't get right even easiest things, like sound editing or visuals. Example?

from 1:43 to 1:45

Enough said.

For anyone who thinks this is the best of the sequels, I advise you to rewatch all of them in order.

I'll say this before and I'll say it again. The first two sequels at least tried to rise above the typical summer blockbuster. This reeked of cash grab.

• Like 2

Pretty fun and good movie. Really liked Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow in this. :)

I did enjoy the mermaid attack scene and the cool swashbuckling scenes. Also, Penelope Cruz was really good in this flick. Another "Pirates" movie that i liked along with DMC, COTBP & AWE.

A

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

I am so late for this, but it just popped up in the review list so here I go.

I have always been a big fan of PotC, speacialy the first one (A grade (90) ), how ever I didn't realy like the 2nd and the 3rd one. That said they grow on me in the last years and bot are nice adventure movies. But PotC 4 is still a bit beter then them. I like the feel this instalment has, it's more like back to the basics. Yeah the story wasn't superb but it was well acted, lots of funny jokes, great chemistry and a more Pirate film feel than the 2-3rd instalments. Overall a A- (85)

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides takes the two primary reasons the first three films in the franchise are legitimately special blockbusters: strong ensemble work and Gore Verbinski's wonderful mix of strong worldbuilding and innovative action. This go-around, Jack is the only interesting character, with Barbossa feeling horribly out of character for the entire first half of the movie, with a very poor explanation why when the film finally comes around to explaining it. McShane and Cruz are both wasted in toothless roles, and the other two new characters are entirely forgettable. The action is never really exciting, and as a whole, the film feels longer than any other film in the franchise, despite being the shortest one yet. Marshall clearly does not know how to direct action, and its really just painful. However, Jack Sparrow, Gibbs, and (for half of the movie) Barbossa all feel somewhat right in this film, although making Jack the main character was a terrible choice. It's not a great film, but it's watchable simply because neutered Pirates of the Caribbean is still pretty unique in tone compared to most of the other franchises out there. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides should be a complete failure; it's only the strength of the franchise's tone and its returning elements that will prevent one from abandoning ship. C-