iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

The show it inspired was also pretty decent, at least I dug it when I was a kid. It was always on when I got home from school!

I remember. Wasn't it about Lilo and Stitch trying to get the balls back? I remember always looking forward to see what new kind of alien they would find. They all had their own power. Oh, how amazing it was =( 

• Like 1

I remember. Wasn't it about Lilo and Stitch trying to get the balls back? I remember always looking forward to see what new kind of alien they would find. They all had their own power. Oh, how amazing it was =( 

Yeah. The experiments. They could often be very clever in design and ability.Watched a show a lot when I was young. I quite liked it.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 3

They basically found Jumba's other experiments and gave them a new, constructive purpose in society. 

• Like 2

#43: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) - 304 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A deformed bell-ringer must assert his independence from a vicious government minister in order to help his friend, a gypsy dancer.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Hunchback of Notre Dame has an average score of 19, which puts it in the middle of the pack of 1990s Disney animation films.

IMDB trivia:
While Quasimodo is singing 'Out There', the camera pans over Paris and zooms in on a street. In this scene, Belle from Beauty and the Beast (1991) is seen walking and reading her book (walks out the bottom of the screen, to the right of the well), Pumbaa from The Lion King (1994) is being carried on a pole by two men (carried out of the bottom of the screen, but left of the well), and another man (in a gray blue tunic) is shaking out the Carpet from Aladdin (1992).

BOF Blurb(s)
Chasmmi: 
One of the best and most complex villains in Amination. This was really quite shocking to watch last week and think that this was a 90s Disney animation as it tackles some really unexpected issues. 

Pokearcher:

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame is simply put one of my favorite Disney films ever (heck it might be my favorite Disney animated movie ever). The music, the animation, the characters, just about everything in this film works.

While not being exactly as dark as its source material (do people really go into a Disney film expecting it to be faithful to its source material?) the film still deals with themes as attempted genocide, sexuality, prejudices, tolerance and does so in such a terrific fashion, with some lighthearted comical moments to balance off the dark plot.

Quasimodo is a memorable protagonist and his story about disfigurement and learning to be accepted, not just by the townsfolk but also by himself is extremely well done. Frollo is a terrific antagonist, because he does not see himself as a villain and instead views what he's doing as right. His schemes and death is irony at its best. Songs such as The Bells of Notre Dame, Out There, God Helps The Outcast and The Court of Miracles are very memorable and beautiful. Hellfire is also not only one of the best Disney villains song, but one of the best animated song sequences in a Disney animated feature ever. Just beautiful"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 8

#42: 101 Dalmatians (1961) - 308 Points

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When a litter of dalmatian puppies are abducted by the minions of Cruella De Vil, the parents must find them before she uses them for a diabolical fashion statement.

Iceroll's list trivia:
101 Dalmatians is the second highest ranked 1960s Disney animated film in the Top 100.  However there were only 3 in that period, and all three made the Top 100. To recap, The Sword in the Stone ranked #94.

IMDB trivia:
Characters from Lady and the Tramp (1955) are shown in brief cameos during the Twilight Bark scene: Jock is first shown coming out of a doghouse and then barking into the drainpipe to a dog in an upper apartment. The strays Peg and her friend the bulldog are seen in a pet shop with various puppies, and both Lady and Tramp are shown very briefly with several dogs at the end of the scene when the barking reaches across the entire city.

BOF User Review

A classic film with a classic villian. 

-Captain Jack Sparrow 2013
(He's a man of few words and few likes in this thread  :ph34r:) 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 15

#43: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (2002) - 304 Points

Posted ImagePosted Image

Plot:

A deformed bell-ringer must assert his independence from a vicious government minister in order to help his friend, a gypsy dancer.

Iceroll's list trivia:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame has an average score of 19, which puts it in the middle of the pack of 1990s Disney animation films.

IMDB trivia:

While Quasimodo is singing 'Out There', the camera pans over Paris and zooms in on a street. In this scene, Belle from Beauty and the Beast (1991) is seen walking and reading her book (walks out the bottom of the screen, to the right of the well), Pumbaa from The Lion King (1994) is being carried on a pole by two men (carried out of the bottom of the screen, but left of the well), and another man (in a gray blue tunic) is shaking out the Carpet from Aladdin (1992).

BOF Blurb(s)

Chasmmi: 

The movie is 1996, not 2002.

Pokearcher:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

http://youtu.be/XbNj68RrKuI

• Like 2

#41: My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - 309 Points

Country of origin: Japan (Studio Ghibli)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wonderous forest spirits who live nearby.

Iceroll's list trivia:
My Neighbor Totoro is the first Japanese film in 20 ranks, since Grave of the Fireflies at position #61, also from Studio Ghibli. Studio Ghibli films also have pretty high average scores, and Totoro replaces Fantastic Mr. Fox for the 4th highest average so far with an average of 22.1

IMDB trivia:

The film is partially autobiographical. When Hayao Miyazaki and his brothers were children, his mother suffered from spinal tuberculosis for nine years, and spent much of her time hospitalized. It is implied, yet never revealed in the film, that Satsuki and Mei's mother also suffers from tuberculosis. He once said the film would have been too painful for him to make if the two protagonists were boys instead of girls.

BOF Blurb:

Spaghetti:

If you ask me, every child needs to see this movie. It's a wonderful fantasy that combines the anxieties of growing up, particularly moving to a new place, as well as the separation from a parent, with pure and magical whimsy. The world of Totoro is magical and beautiful, a pure product of great imagination. It also presents an environmental message not by going the trite "Humans are A-holes" route, but just by simply showing how fun and exciting exploring nature can be. It's a subtle, emotional, and all around lovely animated tale.

BOF User Review
A perfect movie in every way. One of the best fantasy films ever

5/5 
-Jack Nevada, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 14

#40: Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - 315 Points

Country of origin: Japan (Studio Ghibli)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking home.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Howl's Moving Castle coincidentally ranks 1 spot ahead of My Neighbor Totoro. It received the same number of votes as Totoro, and 8 more points total, so it edges out Totoro as the film with the 4th highest score average so far.

IMDB trivia:

Upon seeing Spirited Away (2001), Christian Bale immediately agreed to play any role in this film.

BOF User Review
I'd say it's my 2nd fave of Miyazaki. 
-Travod, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 17

#39: Coraline (2009) - 329 Points

Country of origin: USA (Laika)
Animation style: Stop Motion
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Coraline and ParaNorman both placing on this list means that Laika has a perfect 2/2 record of being in the Top 100. Let's see of they can continue the success with The Boxtrolls.

IMDB trivia:

At one point in the movie, Coraline shows 16 different expressions in a span of 35 seconds. :blink:

BOF User Review
One of the best stop-motion animated pictures all time and second behind Up for best animated film of 2009. 
9.5/10
-Hiccup, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 11