iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

I think Anton Ego reading his review at the end of Ratatouille is better than anything in Wall-E.

I honestly feel like that monologue is the sole reason Ratatouille even contends with the likes of Nemo, TS3, Wall-E, Up, and Incredibles. Take that away and I bet it would fall more in line with Monsters Inc and ABL with a lot of people.

I honestly feel like that monologue is the sole reason Ratatouille even contends with the likes of Nemo, TS3, Wall-E, Up, and Incredibles. Take that away and I bet it would fall more in line with Monsters Inc and ABL with a lot of people.

Woah there, Monsters Inc is a classy film and not in ABL category. Personally, I think most Pixar films rely on certain moments/segments to carry the rest of the film (which is entertaining but nothing that makes the true Pixar connection). For example, Ratatouille without the end monologue is a fun high class animation but lacking substance to even be considered that high.Up without the beginning (or Ellie moments) is a really good animation but nowhere near BP quality. Toy Story 3 without its ending wouldn't be regarded nearly as well as it was (it was still high quality the whole time). It was the ending that made it.Without the third act Monsters University would have been near Croods quality.The only great Pixar films that really break this trend are Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Both of continual moments throughout the movie that captivate you and your soul.
  • Like 2

Woah there, Monsters Inc is a classy film and not in ABL category.Personally, I think most Pixar films rely on certain moments/segments to carry the rest of the film (which is entertaining but nothing that makes the true Pixar connection).For example, Ratatouille without the end monologue is a fun high class animation but lacking substance to even be considered that high.Up without the beginning (or Ellie moments) is a really good animation but nowhere near BP quality.Toy Story 3 without its ending wouldn't be regarded nearly as well as it was (it was still high quality the whole time). It was the ending that made it.Without the third act Monsters University would have been near Croods quality.The only great Pixar films that really break this trend are Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Both of continual moments throughout the movie that captivate you and your soul.

While I strongly disagree with you on Up and TS3 (I think they're fantastic throughout), I do agree with you most Pixar films rely on certain moments or segments to really elevate them. Up, TS3, Nemo, and Incredibles are the 4 I would mark as truly special all the way through. The only reason Wall-E gets into their category for me is because the first half is even more special than those other 4 are throughout. There's nothing wrong with the second half either, but I think it's just very "good" animated film-making. Nothing to really write home about. I also feel the same way about most of Ratatouille's first half (good but not amazing).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Woah there, Monsters Inc is a classy film and not in ABL category.Personally, I think most Pixar films rely on certain moments/segments to carry the rest of the film (which is entertaining but nothing that makes the true Pixar connection).For example, Ratatouille without the end monologue is a fun high class animation but lacking substance to even be considered that high.Up without the beginning (or Ellie moments) is a really good animation but nowhere near BP quality.Toy Story 3 without its ending wouldn't be regarded nearly as well as it was (it was still high quality the whole time). It was the ending that made it.Without the third act Monsters University would have been near Croods quality.The only great Pixar films that really break this trend are Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Both of continual moments throughout the movie that captivate you and your soul.

You know what? This moments/segment reasoning is exactly why I prefer Aladdin, Mermaid and Mulan over Lion King and BatB when it comes to the Disney Renaissance as well. While TLK and Beauty have these brilliant cinematic moments (Beginning and Stampede scenes for TLK, Transformation scene in BatB), they are also far more inconsistent than those other three films in terms of impressive storytelling. I mean, take away the breathtaking transformation sequence from BatB and it would just be an incredibly schmaltzy Broadway show that somehow stumbled onto the big screen. And don't get me started on the pacing issues in the second half of TLK.

That and I far prefer the Aladdin/Mermaid/Mulan cast of characters to TLK/BatB too. Again, there are many, many things to like about Lion King and Beauty and the Beast (Beast's storyline is incredibly captivating), but the fact that they are treated like these untouchable sacred cows beyond compare always seems ridiculous to me.

• Like 1

Aladdin has a higher RT score. :shades:

Actually, out of the "Big Four" Renaissance films (Mermaid, BatB, Aladdin and TLK), surprisingly it is The Lion King with the lowest RT score. 

As older movies RT only has a fraction of the reviews then published but a closer look at RT numbers reveals:

The Lion King: an  8.2 avg.(99/110) with a 90% rating.and 91% top critics.

If you look at the 11 Rotten reviews, 3 are about the sub par 3D or IMAX conversions for the re-release and 4 of them are from two sites Slant and Film Freak banging on about Disney's unsavory output and a 5th by Urban Cinefile Take away the 4 rottens for the re-release conversion and the RT score is 93%. Limit Slant & Film Freak to just one review each and it's a whopping 95%

Beauty & The Beast: 8.4 avg with a 93% (85/7) and 96% Top Critics.

1 of it's 7 rottens is about the sub par conversion of it re-release and 3 are reviews from Slant, Film Freak and Urban Cinefile.  Take away the one review about bad conversion and the listed reviews are 94%

Little Mermaid: 8.2 avg (61/5) with 92% and 92% Top Critics. With Rottens from Slant and drumroll Film Freak.  But Urban Cinefile like it.

Alladin: 8.1 avg with 94% (61/4) and 92% Top Critics with 4 rottens, one from again Slant, no Urban Cinefile review at all and look Film Freak called it the "least spurious" of the Disney Renaissance films - so there you go Film Freak liked it!  That's a win!  :lol:

So, overall RT score sans 3D conversion rotten range from 92%-94%. Top critics from 91-96%  Avg rating from 8.1-8.4.  Beauty & The Beast is at the top of each category so it "wins".  :P .

How I rank them Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King (first part is magnificent but it's loses a bit when Simba grows up) - all wonderful.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

#50: Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) - 280 Points

Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Po and his friends fight to stop a peacock villain from conquering China with a deadly new weapon, but first the Dragon Warrior must come to terms with his past.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Kung Fu Panda 2 is the only Dreamworks animation flick between the Croods at #73, and the next one at #28.

IMDB trivia:
Late in the movie Master Croc leaps onto the boat and lands in a wide split position. This is a characteristic move of Jean-Claude Van Damme, who voices him.

BOF User Review:
Awesome sequel that logically builds theme and meaning from its predecessor, features a kick-ass villain in Gary Oldman, some great action sequences, some smart comedy and cool use of traditional animation. Disappointed that the Furious Five wasn't given much to do (besides Tigress) but considering this is really Po's story I can excuse that.

B+ 
-Gopher, 2012

STOP LIKING THIS MOVIE PLEASE

Edited by JohnnY

You know what? This moments/segment reasoning is exactly why I prefer Aladdin, Mermaid and Mulan over Lion King and BatB when it comes to the Disney Renaissance as well. While TLK and Beauty have these brilliant cinematic moments (Beginning and Stampede scenes for TLK, Transformation scene in BatB), they are also far more inconsistent than those other three films in terms of impressive storytelling. I mean, take away the breathtaking transformation sequence from BatB and it would just be an incredibly schmaltzy Broadway show that somehow stumbled onto the big screen. And don't get me started on the pacing issues in the second half of TLK.

That and I far prefer the Aladdin/Mermaid/Mulan cast of characters to TLK/BatB too. Again, there are many, many things to like about Lion King and Beauty and the Beast (Beast's storyline is incredibly captivating), but the fact that they are treated like these untouchable sacred cows beyond compare always seems ridiculous to me.

I'd definitely disagree with your reasoning on TLK and BatB being inconsistent, they are some of Disney's most consistent films.

• Like 2

I'd definitely disagree with your reasoning on TLK and BatB being inconsistent, they are some of Disney's most consistent films.

The second half of TLK could have been a lot tighter. While Hakuna Matata is awesome, the other Timon and Pumba scenes tend to drag. Also, as Talisman said, Adult Simba never fully regained the charm and chutzpah of Kid Simba. As for BatB, while the pacing is a lot better than TLK's, replace the transformation sequence with something mundane, and you end up with a movie that is far, FAR less impressive.
  • Like 1

Well, it's good to see my list wouldn't have made too much of a difference, Lion King won by a country mile so me having Beauty and the Beast #1 wouldn't have changed anything. Miyazaki and Bluth got crapped on though. And Nightmare Before Christmas, Iron Giant, and South Park had no business being below Prince of Egypt.

And...Over the Hedge above Mask of the Phantasm?

Posted Image

Other than that, not a bad list overall! This woulda been mine:

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Spirited Away
3. Wall-E
4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
5. Grave Of The Fireflies
6. Toy Story 2
7. The Lion King
8. Fantasia
9. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
10. The Nightmare Before Christmas
11. Toy Story 3
12. Akira
13. Finding Nemo
14. The Iron Giant
15. Toy Story
16. Aladdin
17. Pinocchio
18. Ghost In The Shell
19. Up
20. Peter Pan
21. Shrek
22. Frozen
23. The Little Mermaid
24. An American Tail
25. Alice in Wonderland
26. Bambi
27. Cinderella
28. Mulan
29. Ratatouille
30. Sleeping Beauty
31. Coraline
32. The Incredibles
33. Tangled
34. How To Train Your Dragon
35. The Land Before Time
36. Princess Mononoke
37. Monsters Inc.
38. The LEGO Movie
39. All Dogs Go To Heaven
40. Beavis and Butthead Do America
41. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
42. Lilo and Stitch
43. Wreck-It Ralph
44. 101 Dalmatians
45. An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
46. Brave
47. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
48. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
49. How To Train Your Dragon 2
50. Dumbo
51. Lady and the Tramp
52. Hercules
53. The Jungle Book
54. A Bug's Life
55. Anastasia
56. Howl's Moving Castle
57. Paranorman
58. Monsters University
59. My Neighbor Totoro
60. The Princess And The Frog
61. Rango
62. The Secret Of NIMH
63. Tarzan
64. Cars
65. Chicken Run
66. Fritz The Cat
67. The Emperor's New Groove
68. Kung Fu Panda
69. A Goofy Movie
70. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
71. Ninja Scroll
72. The Prince Of Egypt
73. Tim Burton's Frankenweenie
74. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
75. Shrek 2
76. The Simpsons Movie
77. Kiki's Delivery Service
78. Despicable Me
79. The Great Mouse Detective
80. The Brave Little Toaster
81. Persepolis
82. Despicable Me 2
83. Watership Down
84. The Black Cauldron
85. Castle in the Sky
86. The Rescuers
87. Pocahontas
88. Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost
89. The Polar Express
90. The Secret World Of Arrietty
91. Waltz with Bashir
92. The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh
93. Transformers: The Movie
94. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
95. The Triplets of Belleville
96. Bolt
97. The Castle of Cagliostro
98. Wallace & Gromit: Curse Of The Were-Rabbit
99. Charlotte's Web
100. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Edited by RySenkari
  • Like 3

Well, it's good to see my list wouldn't have made too much of a difference, Lion King won by a country mile so me having Beauty and the Beast #1 wouldn't have changed anything. Miyazaki and Bluth got crapped on though. And Nightmare Before Christmas, Iron Giant, and South Park had no business being below Prince of Egypt.

And...Over the Hedge above Mask of the Phantasm?

Posted Image

Other than that, not a bad list overall! This woulda been mine:

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. Spirited Away

3. Wall-E

4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

5. Grave Of The Fireflies

6. Toy Story 2

7. The Lion King

8. Fantasia

9. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

10. The Nightmare Before Christmas

11. Toy Story 3

12. Akira

13. Finding Nemo

14. The Iron Giant

15. Toy Story

16. Aladdin

17. Pinocchio

18. Ghost In The Shell

19. Up

20. Peter Pan

21. Shrek

22. Frozen

23. The Little Mermaid

24. An American Tail

25. Alice in Wonderland

26. Bambi

27. Cinderella

28. Mulan

29. Ratatouille

30. Sleeping Beauty

31. Coraline

32. The Incredibles

33. Tangled

34. How To Train Your Dragon

35. The Land Before Time

36. Princess Mononoke

37. Monsters Inc.

38. The LEGO Movie

39. All Dogs Go To Heaven

40. Beavis and Butthead Do America

41. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

42. Lilo and Stitch

43. Wreck-It Ralph

44. 101 Dalmatians

45. An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

46. Brave

47. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

48. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

49. How To Train Your Dragon 2

50. Dumbo

51. Lady and the Tramp

52. Hercules

53. The Jungle Book

54. A Bug's Life

55. Anastasia

56. Howl's Moving Castle

57. Paranorman

58. Monsters University

59. My Neighbor Totoro

60. The Princess And The Frog

61. Rango

62. The Secret Of NIMH

63. Tarzan

64. Cars

65. Chicken Run

66. Fritz The Cat

67. The Emperor's New Groove

68. Kung Fu Panda

69. A Goofy Movie

70. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

71. Ninja Scroll

72. The Prince Of Egypt

73. Tim Burton's Frankenweenie

74. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

75. Shrek 2

76. The Simpsons Movie

77. Kiki's Delivery Service

78. Despicable Me

79. The Great Mouse Detective

80. The Brave Little Toaster

81. Persepolis

82. Despicable Me 2

83. Watership Down

84. The Black Cauldron

85. Castle in the Sky

86. The Rescuers

87. Pocahontas

88. Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost

89. The Polar Express

90. The Secret World Of Arrietty

91. Waltz with Bashir

92. The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh

93. Transformers: The Movie

94. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

95. The Triplets of Belleville

96. Bolt

97. The Castle of Cagliostro

98. Wallace & Gromit: Curse Of The Were-Rabbit

99. Charlotte's Web

100. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

You should have submitted your list, it would have put Spirited Away in the top 10 :P

• Like 1