eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

This is kinda redundant, but don't forget that whether a movie is actually any good does have *some* impact on how it does.  I mean, I know you can point to TMNT and argue that reviews have no impact, but would anyone really argue that TMNT would have done worse had it been reviewed at 70%?  No, it probably would have done better.

So while 8-9 years is way, way too long for a sequel imo and time slowly drains away awareness and excitement, you also have to add in that the original 300 was 60% fresh while 300:2 was 42%, and the original SC was 78% while SC2 is currently at 43%.  HB, on the other hand, came in at 81% and HB2 was 87%.  

HB2 might have gotten more value from increased awareness had it been released 3 years after HB instead of 4, but it certainly got more lift than had it been released 9 years later.  Add in that it got better reviews and its no surprised it did better.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

He was ok in GOTG. He doesn't have to much to do, they actually give him to many lines. 25% to much if you ask me.

I don't know anything about his character in GOTG, but isn't he supposed to be this deadpan hardass with no sense of humor?I wasn't expecting to, but he made me laugh.
  • Like 8

He was ok in GOTG. He doesn't have to much to do, they actually give him to many lines. 25% to much if you ask me.

I can't wait to see his deleted scenes (and the ones with the other actors)

=> disagree

• Like 1

I don't know anything about his character in GOTG, but isn't he supposed to be this deadpan hardass with no sense of humor?I wasn't expecting to, but he made me laugh.

I know, he made me laugh too. He did his job, but they give him to many lines still. He's funny 75%, like the movie. I think when the jokes hit they hit but there were to many for me. 3/10 got no reaction, but I guess its worth it if 7/10 hit.

• Like 1

He played the role as intended

My cinema co-visitors laughed so hard, I was for the first time since years happy about the subtitles they added in the preview (no idea why they did that btw, all people knew beforehand it will be in English), as so we understood at least the next words still fighting to find composure again

And I do usually do not even like comedies or very comedic movies....

• Like 2

How did the pan get dead?  And an a*** that is hard sounds painful.

• Like 5

He played the role as intended

My cinema co-visitors laughed so hard, I was for the first time since years happy about the subtitles they added in the preview (no idea why they did that btw, all people knew beforehand it will be in English), as so we understood at least the next words still fighting to find composure again

And I do usually do not even like comedies or very comedic movies....

That actually would have been really handy even for native English speakers.  The movie has a number of lines that are either mumbled in the movie, coincide with loud sound effects, or are right after big laugh lines and even after 3 viewings I'm not 100% sure what was said.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for Universal to come out and say there won't be a sequel to PR and that they were just trollin us.

China alone will make 200M so sequel to PR is probably happening whether people like it or not. Personally I loved PR and was just thankful that GDT got to do his dream project so if sequel doesn't happen so be it. 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

China alone will make 200M so sequel to PR is happening whether people like it or not. Personally I loved PR and was just thankful that GDT got to do his dream project so if sequel doesn't happen so be it.

I didn't't think GDT was THAT keen on doing Pacific Rim was he?
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for Universal to come out and say there won't be a sequel to PR and that they were just trollin us.

They totally could cancel it, but Universal has a pretty good track record for taking chances where others might not(ahem, Hellboy 2). They might not all succeed, hell most of them don't really. Plus, they are on a pretty good roll and why not try to pick up another franchise? There's no chance it will be marketed worse than the first one was, so it already has that going for it.
  • Like 1

China alone will make 200M so sequel to PR is probably happening whether people like it or not. Personally I loved PR and was just thankful that GDT got to do his dream project so if sequel doesn't happen so be it. 

You are aware about China still not always having those big results? A lot had far less

BOM has sadly only a few years of Chinas BO, but it is probably a start to look into (e.g. Avenger's year is missing) $200m is still not naturally

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2014&p=.htm

If needed I now a site for Chinese admissions in e.g. 2012... too, but it's not in English

• Like 1

You are aware about China still not always having those big results? A lot had far less

BOM has sadly only a few years of Chinas BO, but it is probably a start to look into (e.g. Avenger's year is missing) $200m is still not naturally

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2014&p=.htm

If needed I now a site for Chinese admissions in e.g. 2012... too, but it's not in English

If its a movie involving giant robots and does even halfway decently, it'll score huge in China.  Pacific Rim did more BO in China than in the US.  So $200M isn't a lock in China, but $100M probably is.

• Like 1

If its a movie involving giant robots and does even halfway decently, it'll score huge in China.  Pacific Rim did more BO in China than in the US.  So $200M isn't a lock in China, but $100M probably is.

That I can see to a degree, it's only the very seldom reached $2xxm or higher I wouldn't automatically expect (if the censorship people don't delay the release again - to stir/control the market - so the movie will get a non-ideal or even bad release date).

Other genres get far less, see American Hustler

• Like 1

If its a movie involving giant robots and does even halfway decently, it'll score huge in China. Pacific Rim did more BO in China than in the US. So $200M isn't a lock in China, but $100M probably is.

Yeah, but when the Chinese unveil Crimson Typhoon 2.0 and it whoops a bunch of ass, you better believe it's gonna go big in China.
  • Like 2

Yeah, but when the Chinese unveil Crimson Typhoon 2.0 and it whoops a bunch of ass, you better believe it's gonna go big in China.

No joke.  If they're smart, they'll make most of the action happen in China and have the Chinese team end saving the day.  Which, iirc, isn't really entirely dissimilar to the first movie.

• Like 1