eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

The Best- And Worst-Marketed Movies Of Summer 2014

Forbes article

About: Godzilla, ASM 2, DoFP, Edge of Tomorrow, The Fault in Our Stars, Hercules, Lucy, And So it Goes..., GotG, and a few honorable mentionings

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/08/25/the-best-and-worst-marketed-movies-of-summer-2014/

I'm not sure how much better Edge of Tomorrow could have gotten in terms of marketing. From what I saw, they did a decent job. 

I think they made it look too much like a generic alien invasion thriller.

I thought it had some fantastic trailers highlighting the Groundhog Day thing, but I guess it did look like a generic sci fi alien invasion flick too. 

I'm not sure how much better Edge of Tomorrow could have gotten in terms of marketing. From what I saw, they did a decent job. 

Haven't seen it, but what I hear from people who saw it, the movie wasn't near as average, 'another one of those...' as the trailer made it look like, including ignoring the main non-average detail

Forbes article

About: Godzilla, ASM 2, DoFP, Edge of Tomorrow, The Fault in Our Stars, Hercules, Lucy, And So it Goes..., GotG, and a few honorable mentionings

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/08/25/the-best-and-worst-marketed-movies-of-summer-2014/

(April’s father dies in two separate fashions according to whomever is delivering the exposition)

Woah :lol: I can't wait to see the epic mess TMNT is now :lol: 

Hardly a good comparison. Spiderman 1, TDK and TA (you conveniently forgot that one ;)) all roughly sold the same amount of tickets and there's at least a 4 year gap in between each film. Toy Story 3 aside, Pixar hasn't even managed a 300m grosser since Nemo, not even with inflation and 3d. None of their films even compare in tickets sales where as the superhero genre is clearly selling similar tickets averagely than previous efforts.

There are a lot more Superhero films that come out this year than those juggernauts, and Spider Man came out 12 years ago. That's not what I would call contemporary in this example, since the superhero market has changed relentlessly in the past few years. The superhero example may not work perfectly in your eyes, but it doesn't take a clairvoyant box office follower to see that this kind of thing happens all of the god damn time, and given the influx of superhero films in the future, don't be surprised if it fits your palate more in the next few years.

And no computer animation has clearly not become a novelty just yet. Did you seem to miss the fact that frozen became the highest grossing film last year with 400m and 1.3b?, and Despicable me 2 earning over 350m and pretty much 1b WW? Clearly there is still massive potential for animation movies, Pixar just hasn't managed to reach it lately and im telling you why.

That's not what I meant. What I'm saying is that the success of the earlier Pixar films, especially Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and Monsters. Inc, were propelled by audience interest in this new form of animation, something that really affected a lot of animated films (Jimmy Neutron, of all movies, adjusts to over $100m today. That's crazy.)

Frozen is actually a funny example, especially considering how John Lasseter, Pixar's head honcho from the start, began working greatly with Disney as early as Meet The Robinsons, but I digress.) Regardless, Frozen was playing a different ball game than pretty much any other animated film today. Disney has the animated musical formula down to a science, and the advent of social media helped the film propel to a level of tickets sold akin to the Early Renaissance. Of course audiences thought it was fun, but unless any other film strikes a "Let It Go" moment, this seems like a capture of lightning in a bottle that will be hard to repeat.

As for Despicable Me, it's an example of more comedy focused animation than what Pixar goes for (also a huge part of Dreamworks, Sony Pictures Animation, and Blue Sky's mantras, yet they often wish they could gross as much as Pixar.) Despicable Me appealed to the masses because they threw out agressive marketing campaigns centered around the minions, with all the cutesiness of a viral video to get audiences in seats. Despicable Me 2 blew past pretty much every film in the summer of 2013, including Monsters University (which did pretty well for a sequel no one really wanted, yet mostly enjoyed)

Audiences obviously still adore Pixar, and they can get amazingly enojyable and heartfelt products out of pretty much any idea (There's no way anyone but Pixar could have gotten a film about an old man, a chubby Asian boy scout, and a talking dog flying a house to South America to $300m.) Do audiences enjoy movies like Despicable Me and Frozen more than most recent Pixar output? Perhaps, but there's more to these movies than just going for fun, and that's, believe it or not, why Pixar continues to be a force to be reckoned with at the movies.

• Like 1

Forbes article

Why is Winter Soldier cited as grossing $257M in his articles. It's just short of $260M.

I love how WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot just enters the thread like, "...ok?".

I always enter every conversation that I come in on at the tail end with a reaction similar to my initials -- WTF?!

I am also torn between entering the off-topic fray and staying on topic LOL! 

And then I try to say something smart about the numbers and shit, but before I've had my coffee, and I end up sounding stupid (in my head…) 

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

Why is Winter Soldier cited as grossing $257M in his articles. It's just short of $260M.

Maybe he started to write the article before the final number got released? There was a bit of a break in the reporting of the numbers for a time (as usual at the end of a movies rum). Beside that, he seemed to have had a rather bad weekend, see some other mistakes. But he wasn't alone with that, Subers made at least one too

edit to an a meaning changing 'e', see bold

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Maybe he started to write the article before the final number got released? There was a bit of a break in the reporting of the numbers for a time (as usual at the end of a movies rum). Beside that, he seemed to have had a rather bad weekend, see some other mistakes. But he wasn't alone with that, Subers made at least on too

Yes... I thought I noticed it somewhere else as well.

Hardly a good comparison. Spiderman 1, TDK and TA (you conveniently forgot that one ;)) all roughly sold the same amount of tickets and there's at least a 4 year gap in between each film. Toy Story 3 aside, Pixar hasn't even managed a 300m grosser since Nemo, not even with inflation and 3d. None of their films even compare in tickets sales where as the superhero genre is clearly selling similar tickets averagely than previous efforts.And no computer animation has clearly not become a novelty just yet. Did you seem to miss the fact that frozen became the highest grossing film last year with 400m and 1.3b?, and Despicable me 2 earning over 350m and pretty much 1b WW? Clearly there is still massive potential for animation movies, Pixar just hasn't managed to reach it lately and im telling you why.

You really can't bring Frozen into this argument because it was one of those incredibly rare movies that caught the attention and imagination of almost everyone. Of the 6 computer animated movies to make more than $300m, 4 of them are sequels to very well regarded movies. Only two of those 6 are original movies! It isn't just Pixar that has trouble hitting that mark, it's just really hard to do with animation period. They have INCREDIBLE consistency in terms of box office. Any studio would KILL to have 80% of their movies open between $60-70m and make between $220-260.
  • Like 7