DussyMob

Is The 100 Million Club a Box-office Hall Of Fame?

I've always loved following the 100 million club. I've studied every movie that's made the list. I also want to see every movie on that list in my lifetime. Do anyone else love the club like I do?

Personally, I love the top 200 domestic grossing movies of all-time (adjusted for inflation) club. It's an exclusive club, and films are getting knocked out of it when another film is a massive blockbuster.

• Like 2

I would say 400m is the immortal line personally, but around 200m today is what crossing 100m was back in the day. Still only 10 or so films out of thousands released that hit the mark. I agree with just having the top 200 or even 100 list adjusted for inflation. Keeps everything simple and gives much needed perspective.

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro
  • Like 2

For me, 400 million is the exclusive barrier today (adjusting for inflation). It is the number that marks the line between a big hit and an enormous hit. It can be considered as an epic run.

My problem with lower amounts, like 100 or 200 is that you can have movies that surprise and become a huge hit (independent/Oscar/low budget movies), movies that are expected to do those amounts (average blockbusters with average/high budgets), and failures (movies with high budgets that should have made over 300). IMO, with 400 million there are no doubts about that the movie has been a megahit.

• Like 1

This just shows how much things have changed in the last 20 years. When I first started following box office in the mid 90s, a movie making $100 million in the US was a big deal as was a $20m-$30m opening. Now those numbers are no big deal unless it is achieved by a lower budget movie.

• Like 6

This just shows how much things have changed in the last 20 years. When I first started following box office in the mid 90s, a movie making $100 million in the US was a big deal as was a $20m-$30m opening. Now those numbers are no big deal unless it is achieved by a lower budget movie.

Same.  I started tracking movies in the early 90s and $30m was the bar for success in my mind.  Then Lost World's OW totals published and my mouth dropped.  

I'd say $100M still is a really impressive milestone for a number of movies. For example, it's still insane to me that Black Swan, possibly the least "mainstream" film to ever hit the mark, made as much as it did nearly four years later.

Agree.  I always thought Vanilla Sky and MBFGW were obscure films that nevertheless found success in reaching that number.  I was finishing up college when Sky came out and remember wishing it, willing it with all that I had to hit $100m.  MBFGW just sort of crept up on me.  It was actually a poster at another boxoffice forum back in the day that created a "Uhh.....guys..." thread about MBFGW as it stealthily climbed up the boxoffice ranks.

• Like 2

Same.  I started tracking movies in the early 90s and $30m was the bar for success in my mind.  Then Lost World's OW totals published and my mouth dropped.  

Lost World's opening was incredible for the time. $72 million back when a $35m-$40m opening was considered huge.

• Like 1

Lost World's opening was incredible for the time. $72 million back when a $35m-$40m opening was considered huge.

Yes.

It's $26m Sunday was also impressive.  It made in one day what a good 3-day opening was back then.

Edited by lilmac

Sad to say, I've only been following box office for 2 years... since the Avengers release. I have so much catching up to do, and have so much respect to all you "veterans" 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the number that really matters.

If Star Wars Episode 7 'only' made 400m DOM, people would call it a failure and say Star Wars is a dying franchise.

Meanwhile, when God's Not Dead nears around 70m DOM it is a break out success and more impressive than Star Wars hitting 400m.

It depends on the movie on whether or not it's impressive or hall of fame worthy.

• Like 1

I always thought Vanilla Sky and MBFGW were obscure films that nevertheless found success in reaching that number.  I was finishing up college when Sky came out and remember wishing it, willing it with all that I had to hit $100m.  MBFGW just sort of crept up on me.  It was actually a poster at another boxoffice forum back in the day that created a "Uhh.....guys..." thread about MBFGW as it stealthily climbed up the boxoffice ranks.

Uh... Vanilla Sky was a Tom Cruise vehicle with a great trailer released in December. It undoubtedly would have been seen as a disappointment if it had fallen short of $100 million.

I agree with filmlover that it's still nuts that Black Swan did as well as it did. It's so not a mainstream-friendly film, and yet it expanded well several weeks in a row and held on well while Natalie Portman was on the Oscar campaign trail. Perhaps I'm biased because I was in college at the time, but I think that college students (or at least the 17-25 demo) really drove that film to the next level; I remember that it was handily the most-discussed movie on my campus between its arrival in Portland in December and its Blu-Ray release in March. Even people who I never would have thought would be interested in a surreal art film loved it. Of course, that scene in which Mila Kunis goes down on Natalie Portman might have had something to do with it. A buddy of mine played it on his computer to cheer me up after things didn't work out with someone who I had asked out.  :lol:

• Like 1

Uh... Vanilla Sky was a Tom Cruise vehicle with a great trailer released in December. It undoubtedly would have been seen as a disappointment if it had fallen short of $100 million.

I agree with filmlover that it's still nuts that Black Swan did as well as it did. It's so not a mainstream-friendly film, and yet it expanded well several weeks in a row and held on well while Natalie Portman was on the Oscar campaign trail. Perhaps I'm biased because I was in college at the time, but I think that college students (or at least the 17-25 demo) really drove that film to the next level; I remember that it was handily the most-discussed movie on my campus between its arrival in Portland in December and its Blu-Ray release in March. Even people who I never would have thought would be interested in a surreal art film loved it. Of course, that scene in which Mila Kunis goes down on Natalie Portman might have had something to do with it. A buddy of mine played it on his computer to cheer me up after things didn't work out with someone who I had asked out.  :lol:

I screened black swan to my ex's family, including her elderly grandparents.  Yeahh....that scene didn't go over too well..