A Marvel Fanboy

Wednesday 12/21/11 Numbers

Oh dear. All the indications had been that the $5.1M on Wednesday was in addition to the $1.6M from Tuesday, which would have been pretty good. But if the $5.1M actually includes the $1.6M from Tuesday, that's not so good.

yeah i'm also confused. need to investigate.i think bom made an error tho. 5.1 doesn't include tuesday Edited by kyky

yeah i'm also confused. need to investigate.

i think bom made an error tho. 5.1 doesn't include tuesday

No, unfortunately it looks like the $5.1M does include the Tuesday previews, here's a blurb from boxoffice.com:

Sony's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opened with $5.07 million. It should be noted that an estimated $1.6 million of that daily figure came from late evening and midnight screenings on Tuesday night. Given that preview grosses made up a sizable percentage of Wednesday's take, the anticipated David Fincher​ directed remake should fall behind Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows over the weekend (and very possibly behind Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked as well). Based on yesterday's performance, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo appears to be headed for a modest 3-day weekend gross in the neighborhood of $13 million to $14 million.

Yeah. 5 million Wednesday(+Tuesday evening) is a disappointing number. This movie is unlikely to have a great WOM either because it has limited appeal outside the fanbase so I'll be surprised if it manages to do TSN numbers from here on.

I think it will do something like that, but most were expecting more.

I doubt it can get that high from an opening day of $3.5M. Fun with Dick and Jane, a somewhat more Christmassy feeling movie, only managed $14.4M for the 3-day weekend from a $3.76M opening day. I'm also worried about frontloading due to the popularity of the books. Edited by Chrestomanci

The epic jump is because they included Tuesday.

Yes and no. The original estimates, at least from Nikki, were for $8M including Tuesday. The increase to $8.9M is still a big jump from that (over 10% overall and around 15% for the Wednesday portion) and has nothing to do with the inclusion of Tuesday.