Neo

Jason Bourne | 7.29.2016 | One week IMAX release on August 26 thanks to Ben Hur flopping

Yikes, this is in trouble at the BO with those kind of reviews. Bourne is totally a reception based franchise. I can't imagine a really successful one that doesn't have great reception. I just assumed it would be on par with the trilogy given Greengrass and Damon's involvement all these years later, but I guess the lack of much shown in the marketing really was an indicator the studio didn't have much faith in the quality of it after all. 

I really don't get why this movie was made if it is indeed so underwhelming? Is Greengrass really desperate for the cash? Damon certainly shouldn't be. Doesn't seem fitting of either of them to want to just do a cash grab. Unless it's just one of those cases of critics not "getting" a film and it's a lot better than reviews suggest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really don't get why this movie was made if it is indeed so underwhelming? Is Greengrass really desperate for the cash? Damon certainly shouldn't be. Doesn't seem fitting of either of them to want to just do a cash grab. Unless it's just one of those cases of critics not "getting" a film and it's a lot better than reviews suggest. 

Actors and directors take on projects that scream "easy paycheck" all the time. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Every summer people are like "next summer will be better" and it never is

This really has been a kinda blah summer overall, though. Probably the weakest since 2006 (what does it say that The Devil Wears Prada has endured much longer than its more popcorn-ready competition?).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Actors and directors take on projects that scream "easy paycheck" all the time. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah, easy money is easy money. It's not like Greengrass and Bourne signed up for Jason Bourne exclusively for cash, it's just they were likely primarily motivated by dollar signs when they signed up for the project originally.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This really has been a kinda blah summer overall, though. Probably the weakest since 2006 (what does it say that The Devil Wears Prada has endured much longer than its more popcorn-ready competition?).

And ironically '13 was a crappy summer along with '03. Must be something about those 3's and 6's. 

All summers are gonna be crappy. You'll get a few blockbusters you like and maybe a comedy or two and then a whole bunch of dreck

But every year people hype up the next summer by just listing ten franchise movies and pretending it's gonna be rad

• Like 9