Impact

Weekend Prediction thread 5/24-5/26 Play the Derby

What will be the next big opener? Sully? When the Bough Breaks? Magnificent Seven? (or maybe 20M+ opener or even a 30M+ opener-as I said for M7 it is stilly iffy even if it does amazing in the state I live in that means nothing elsewhere as westerns tend to always do well here)

4 hours ago, Impact said:

What will be the next big opener? Sully? When the Bough Breaks? Magnificent Seven? (or maybe 20M+ opener or even a 30M+ opener-as I said for M7 it is stilly iffy even if it does amazing in the state I live in that means nothing elsewhere as westerns tend to always do well here)

nuc3qCu.jpg

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I know you've been stout about Mag 7 not doing much more than typical Denzel numbers but there's a shot.

I could see The Magnificent Seven and Storks (which could take advantage of a barren family marketplace since Ice Age/Pete's Dragon/Kubo didn't really excite them) pulling a The Vow/Safe House where they both open to $40M.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I could see The Magnificent Seven and Storks (which could take advantage of a barren family marketplace since Ice Age/Pete's Dragon/Kubo didn't really excite them) pulling a The Vow/Safe House where they both open to $40M.

So you can see $40M, but it's not in contention for $50M?

I do admit that for now things seem a bit... subdued regarding this OW, but there's still a month left and I think it's gonna kick into high gear following the premiere and reviews from TIFF. I could definitely see it breaking the September record. I don't think that's a crazy prediction.

5 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I do admit that for now things seem a bit... subdued regarding this OW, but there's still a month left and I think it's gonna kick into high gear following the premiere and reviews from TIFF. I could definitely see it breaking the September record. I don't think that's a crazy prediction.

$40M is a great opening for a Western (always a tricky genre at the box office).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I don't think it's crazy either.  I don't know if it will happen, but a lot of people seem to at least think this looks good, and it has Denzel and Pratt.  I think it will be more about splitting the reduced adult audience at that point, but I think Pratt appeals to younger people too. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Impact said:

Well I was talking about the next 20M+ opener. (I could see Deepwater doing that well also-well 20M that is)

Edit: Or 30M as I put in the post on the last page.

Potential for a $20m opener this weekend if the theater count is high enough.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Internal tracking looking good for Don't Breathe, heh?

There are a ton of positives going for it.  Looks like the trailer views are up, good marketing campaign, stellar reviews for a late August horror movie and a waste land of competition.  No other horror on the market and all the openers from the previous week underperformed.  

The only thing concerning me is theater counts.  It would be nice is Sony can push and get around 3,200 or so.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

There are a ton of positives going for it.  Looks like the trailer views are up, good marketing campaign, stellar reviews for a late August horror movie and a waste land of competition.  No other horror on the market and all the openers from the previous week underperformed.  

The only thing concerning me is theater counts.  It would be nice is Sony can push and get around 3,200 or so.  

I honestly think it might not even go above 3000 theaters. 

• Like 1