grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

I saw Maze Runner last night with about 75-80% full screening. Very good movie, I enjoyed it more than Divergent and THG. :D Amazingly the budget was only 34M. It felt more like a 100-120M dollar movie. Holds have been great as well which bodes very well for the sequels.  :D

• Like 3

I still think it will be hard for TMR to reach 100M, while Equalizer is locked to do it.  So I agree with this statement. 

Maze Runner has no direct competition the entire month of October. Best of Me and Ouija might hurt a little, but by then its legs will have settled in completely. Interstellar is the only film directly targeting its genre (sci-fi) within the next 30 days. I see 20-30% drops for almost all of October. 

$9 million ($86 million)

$6 million ($95 million)

$4 million ($100 million)

$2.5 million ($103 million)

$1 million ($104 million) 

$100 million+ seems pretty doable after this weekend's hold. 

• Like 2

October has always been a good month for films aimed at adult audiences, look at how well Captain Phillips did last year and that faced Gravity as its main competition. 

The real story is that three R rated films in two weeks have done over $30m that must be a first for studios, maybe we'll see a resurgence in more adult thrillers. Fox optioned Sharp Objects and I think Dark Places so I imagine they'll be up for adaptations in the future.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Weekend estimates starting to come in now.

Unfortunately the first is Boxtrolls:

THE BOXTROLLS took in an estimated $12.43M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $32.54M. #TheBoxtrolls

That is very good for Boxtrolls, much stronger hold than Paranorman. It's OS gross also seems to be way ahead.

ANNABELLE opened with an estimated $37.2M this weekend. #Annabelle

WOW! Amazing OW for it. It could actually make close to 100M.

Edited by James

Media need to stop with the "First horror hit" angle.

The Purge Anarchy grossed $29.8m on it's way to over $70m this summer.

The man who produced the film, Brad Fuller, has confirmed on Twitter "It's a horror film with thriller elements."

End of discussion.

• Like 1

Wow! Good hold for Boxtrolls after the string of weak legs among animated/family movies in the past few months, glad to see it doing well on Week #2. Too bad Book of Life could cut its legs

The first weekend of October, like the last weekend of September seems to have become a good weekend for certain films. Maybe Disney should move The Jungle Book to October 2nd or Sony moves HT2 to that slot although given how well did in its late September slot, they'll keep it there. 

There could be some fudging going on:

As per The Hollywood Reporter:

"Some rivals have the two pictures closer; final weekend numbers will be released Monday."

Both WB and FOX want to win to be able to make dat number 1 movie in MURICA spot. 

• Like 1