grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

That's what I expected for GG on Saturday but that's a fucking huge number for Annabelle.  It actually increased from Friday, minus the preview number.  This could be neck and neck for number one this weekend.

• Like 8

Hell yes, Gone Girl.  HELL YES.

Film of the year for me.  I mean, the book was good, but the film was a damn near masterpiece. 

Would be an absolute shame if Affleck, Pike and Fincher get overlooked come Oscar season.  They put in serious work.

I think unfortunately Affleck will be forgotten. Unless Moore's movie comes out though, I can see Pike winning right now.

• Like 2

Great numbers!

Gone Girl

36.9 OW

Annabelle

37.6 OW

I see Annabelle winning the weekend. The opening is near The Conjuring OW....wow.

I think GG's Sunday will be closer to 10.

I think unfortunately Affleck will be forgotten. Unless Moore's movie comes out though, I can see Pike winning right now.

GG is way too cynical and dark for the Academy... and Affleck's and Pike's characters are both total assholes. They might get nominated, but they won't win.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

GG is way too cynical and dark for the Academy... and Affleck's and Pike's characters are both total assholes. They might get nominated, but they won't win.

Yup, there are too many things against it. 

Unsympathetic characters (even though Affleck's character slowly becomes the sympathetic one), and an ending in which the most crazy character gets away with the whole thing.

Honestly though, I found myself rooting for Pike's character.

I wanted that Queen to get her revenge and slay them all.

Iconic role. So glad she got this role. It's a role that doesn't come by very often for women.

She probably won't win, but I hope The Academy stops being extra as fuck and wack. She deserves it.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 2

Yup, there are too many things against it. 

Unsympathetic characters (even though Affleck's character slowly becomes the sympathetic one), and an ending in which the most crazy character gets away with the whole thing.

I don't really think

Affleck ended up very sympathetic at all

. I thought the ending was pure poetic justice:

they deserved each other.

• Like 3

The scene in Gone Girl where Rosamund Pike 

waits for Neil Patrick Harris to ejaculate inside her and then grabs the box cutter and slits his throat open

is one of the best of the decade. 

The lead up montage for it was fantastic too.

Holy shit what a great movie

Unless you have a love for horror, you'll never get the affinity for everything horror.  Sometimes bad horror is still good.  I like to see the genre succeed as well.

Alright, I'll give you that. I can't stand horror though so :P

I don't really think

Affleck ended up very sympathetic at all

. I thought the ending was pure poetic justice:

they deserved each other.

Weird. I don't think

Affleck character came out that bad.

Now Pike I hated. What a total bitch and that scene where she plays up the 'rape' for the video cameras was chilling.

Edited by theultimatebiu
  • Like 2

*stares at Christoph Waltz, Monique, and Heath Ledger.* Uh...

I don't think Affleck will be nominated unfortunately. Pike though... that was a role and performance of pure iconicness

• Like 1