Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Literally the last musical to win the Best Picture Oscar flew over 150 million and adjusts to 243 million dollars. LOL @ arguments that "there's no way an Oscar movie musical makes that much money!" People on here's war against critics and awards is too fucking much, man. It's making this site unbearable at times.

I was actually looking forward to Baumer's O/U 150 m club.

It's always fun to see who severely over or underestimated a movie.

I might make the club myself. 

Just now, grey ghost said:

I was actually looking forward to Baumer's O/U 150 m club.

It's always fun to see who severely over or underestimated a movie.

I might make the club myself. 

I believe there's already a $125M club that everyone (except Baumer) is in.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

January 26. As usual with Oscar movies, we get most of them during January and February.

Chazelle is soon about to become your other new favorite god (in addition to Villeneuve).

Pretty exciting that we've had two directors this decade quickly announce themselves as potential new additions to the all-time greats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Because she's anorexic, right?

Where's the Amazing Amy from Gone Girl when you really need her?

Because she's not attractive in the least, imo.  Maybe I'll be wrong and guys will flock to this.  We'll see.

I did like her in Superbad, House Bunny and Zombieland, though.  She seemed much less "Hollywood" then.

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's all about stanning for their favorites, I guess

This honestly has all of the ingredients to become a pop culture/zeitgeist film the same way Juno did. Once everyone else here has actually seen it, they'll understand.

If you want people to see this, comparing it to Juno isn't the best idea.  People hate that film now and Diablo Cody is already a has-been.

• Like 1

gosh, just came back from it and it was a perfect bow to classic Hollywood and Jacques Demy. and it still feels fresh. what a great film.

and Emma Stone is PERFECTION in this. Even her overacting works amazingly well.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, yjs said:

gosh, just came back from it and it was a perfect bow to classic Hollywood and Jacques Demy. and it still feels fresh. what a great film.

and Emma Stone is PERFECTION in this. Even her overacting works amazingly well.

There are so many scenes that could easily be her Oscar clip, I don't know what they'll pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

14 years ago is a long time & La La Land doesn't have the bombastic,flashy elements of Chicago I am sorry.

Maybe after La La Land, millennials will search for Jacques Demy in their Netflix, who knows ?

And Yes, non sci-fi-CGI Animation-genre movies that do more than 120m is super rarefied air circa mid 2010's.

La La Land has a lot going for it, but we ll see how far it can convince the Joes & Janes of the world that had a blast with Deadpool.

I loved Deadpool and I've eaten up every single trailer and song from this so far. I know I'm gonna have a blast with this one as well.

Sometimes you have some very interesting points and sometimes it's all just vaguely offensive verbal diarrhea from you.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Literally the last musical to win the Best Picture Oscar flew over 150 million and adjusts to 243 million dollars. LOL @ arguments that "there's no way an Oscar movie musical makes that much money!" People on here's war against critics and awards is too fucking much, man. It's making this site unbearable at times.

Youre talking directly to me. And chicago came out 14 years ago. That might as well be 1940. Times have changed in the last 3 years. You can watch movies on line the day they come out. Theres not a lot of mid sized hits anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't know about "people" but Juno is a lovely movie that holds up far better than I would've ever expected it to. As good on rewatches as it was in the theater, if not better. 

It is kinda interesting that Ellen Page was poised to break out big and then kinda faded away. I feel like half of Anna Kendrick's roles could have been Ellen Page roles.