CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

I do know that. And its not possible. No one is getting 15 mill to star in a film like The Judge.

Well Downey was a producer, so it was likely a back-end deal. I imagine he got paid a good amount upfront and expected more money in the case the film was a hit, which obviously it wasn't.

However a 50m for a movie that doesn't look all that expensive seems kinda ridiculous, so RDJ must have gotten a good paycheck regardless (maybe not 15m, but somewhere around the 10's, I don't know).

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

What percentage of The Judge flopping gets blamed on the strong word of mouth/legs of Gone Girl?  And what percentage of it flopping gets blamed on RDJ for not being a big enough box office draw himself to get that movie to an OW of 20 million?

I'd say 80% on GG, 15% on bad reviews, and 5% on RDJ's lack of draw power. This isn't the kind of film people want from him. However, if this had come out October 24th or 31st, I think it could have gotten $18-22 million OW. 

The Judge isn't acclaimed like Captain Phillips, so expecting a $20-25 million OW is a little much when GG and Annabelle both broke out the week before. 

• Like 1

Well Downey was a producer, so it was likely a back-end deal. I imagine he got paid a good amount upfront and expected more money in the case the film was a hit, which obviously it wasn't.

However a 50m for a movie that doesn't look all that expensive seems kinda ridiculous, so RDJ must have gotten a good paycheck regardless (maybe not 15m, but somewhere around the 10's, I don't know).

Hey poke :the the strong.. If its a low budget film, he actually could have received just scale and his pay would be reaped if BO went well.  So it could be under 100k just as easily. Though I have to admit Robert is definitely aiming to be greedy lately.

Looks like hes pushing how far he can go with Disney. Demanding 50-60M upfront and a take of the BO for IM4.. Damn disney should pay it, but they could make this a statement to those who are greedy we wont bend and just hire another actor.

Cant wait to see how this plays out.

Is 50-60M  upfront plus a share of BO that could amount to another 50-100M too much for one film?

Share your thoughts

• Like 1

I'd say 80% on GG, 15% on bad reviews, and 5% on RDJ's lack of draw power. This isn't the kind of film people want from him. However, if this had come out October 24th or 31st, I think it could have gotten $18-22 million OW. 

The Judge isn't acclaimed like Captain Phillips, so expecting a $20-25 million OW is a little much when GG and Annabelle both broke out the week before. 

Agreed Mahn,  I certainly wouldnt be rushing out to see a film like this from RDJ.. So I dont think it has anything to do with his drawing power, just the content is interesting to pay 9-12+ dollars for. And people stayed away.

They want more epic adventure films from him, Iron Man and Marvel films, big romantic adventure comedies etc.

Judge definitely looked like a flop from the getgo. RDJ will be back though.

• Like 1

Hey poke :the the strong.. If its a low budget film, he actually could have received just scale and his pay would be reaped if BO went well.  So it could be under 100k just as easily. Though I have to admit Robert is definitely aiming to be greedy lately.

Looks like hes pushing how far he can go with Disney. Demanding 50-60M upfront and a take of the BO for IM4.. Damn disney should pay it, but they could make this a statement to those who are greedy we wont bend and just hire another actor.

Cant wait to see how this plays out.

Is 50-60M  upfront plus a share of BO that could amount to another 50-100M too much for one film?

Share your thoughts

Well a 50 - 60m salary upfront makes sense considering how much the last Iron Man movie made.

Although Downey may seem greedy, just about every actor does it when they star in a hugely successful series. It's good planning all things consider, even if it does seem like way too much, especially with the back-end deal. He could make over 100m just from DVD sales and airings on TV. Astonishing!

There's also the possibility that there may not even be an Iron Man 4. Downey Jr. confirmed that Marvel isn't making an Iron Man 4 just yet, if at all. Him saying that there was going to be a 4th Iron Man was probably just him trying to get publicity for The Judge.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 3

Since I have no idea what the budget was for the Judge, its hard to say if it flopped or not.  I think the opening is obviously underwhelming but flop is a strong word.

BTW....I thoroughly enjoyed the Judge.  A terrific character study and a good story as well.

Is it true that there's  scene where Robert Duvall craps his pants?

I'd say 70% of the blame goes to Gone Girl's legs, 25% goes to RDJ's lack of star power, and 5% goes to mediocre reviews.  The final RT score is about 47-48%, so I wouldn't call the reviews bad or poor.  It isn't like the reviews are in Transcendence territory. They are middle of the road.

I don't think you can pin down a "bad guy" in the RDJ/Marvel thing. Is he greedy for wanting too much, or is Marvel stingy for not wanting to pay him that much even when they know that RDJ as Iron Man will likely net them more than enough revenue to balance it out?

I can see both sides - if increased BO take from the Stark Effect isn't greater than the payout required to get him, it's kind of a wash. (But if it is...Kevin...you will have opened the pocketbooks of MILLIONS of potential moviegoers.)

And of course, if RDJ really just doesn't want to do it, even a Depp-sized paycheck won't bring him on. (And does anyone really want to see a Pirates 4-style "only in it for the money" sleepwalk performance?)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I'd say 70% of the blame goes to Gone Girl's legs, 25% goes to RDJ's lack of star power, and 5% goes to mediocre reviews.  The final RT score is about 47-48%, so I wouldn't call the reviews bad or poor.  It isn't like the reviews are in Transcendence territory. They are middle of the road.

But with older adults, a 47-48% RT score won't get them in the theater if it's a drama and there's other more appealing adult fare out (Equalizer and GG). 

RDJ got Sherlock to $200 million. Without him, I'd say $130-150 million in the face of Avatar. 

Due Date... $70-80 million without RDJ. 

The Judge isn't a movie worth paying $12 for no matter who's starring. I don't even think Denzel could get past $20 million OW with it. 

• Like 2

I would say The Judge failed because it looked unappealing and WB had no idea how to sell it so every TV Spot sold a different type of movie. The amount of BS being throwed around here about the reviews or the lack of star power of RDJ is crazy.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5

But with older adults, a 47-48% RT score won't get them in the theater if it's a drama and there's other more appealing adult fare out (Equalizer and GG). 

RDJ got Sherlock to $200 million. Without him, I'd say $130-150 million in the face of Avatar. 

Due Date... $70-80 million without RDJ. 

The Judge isn't a movie worth paying $12 for no matter who's starring. I don't even think Denzel could get past $20 million OW with it. 

Agreed when I heard RDJ and the title thought it would be a more epic tour deforce film dealing with canniving law industry or some thing. The trailers looked weak. Not Densil, Not Hanks or Mel at his peak could have saved the film.

Bomb on arrival. lol

• Like 1

I imagine RDJ took a paycut for The Judge but with a backend deal, many actors do take paycuts for smaller films but with backends. Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz took paycuts for The Blind Side and Bad Teacher and ended up making more than if they had taken a salary upfront.

Now that Luke Evans has come out, wonder if Lee Pace will eventually come out. I don't think he has but its been rumoured for years

• Like 1

Well a 50 - 60m salary upfront makes sense considering how much the last Iron Man movie made.

Although Downey may seem greedy, just about every actor does it when they star in a hugely successful series. It's good planning all things consider, even if it does seem like way too much, especially with the back-end deal. He could make over 100m just from DVD sales and airings on TV. Astonishing!

There's also the possibility that there may not even be an Iron Man 4. Downey Jr. confirmed that Marvel isn't making an Iron Man 4 just yet, if at all. Him saying that there was going to be a 4th Iron Man was probably just him trying to get publicity for The Judge.

I guess you cant say its greedy at all if IM4 has the potential to make Disney nearly 2billion in revenue from merchandising

and movies alone.. Just saying RDJ was a troublemakeri n the past, and one could say he owes his new career to the director of IM and especially Disney for giving him shot at redemption. Do you go so hard at the company that made you?

Hmmm

Still in this new way of earning.. RDJ if he stays could go on to make more than keanu Reeves and Mel Gibson/Passion deal put together..

RDJ the billion dollar man? Very interesting here.

Mel got 600+M for Passion

Keanu Reeves 450M for Matrix in total!! (Bet yu guys didnt know how paid in the shade the one was right lol) 

He was so loaded he didnt like how the crew was paid and give them 30-40M to make sure they were taken care of.

Now thats my kind of hero. :)

• Like 1

I don't think you can pin down a "bad guy" in the RDJ/Marvel thing. Is he greedy for wanting too much, or is Marvel stingy for not wanting to pay him that much even when they know that RDJ as Iron Man will likely net them more than enough revenue to balance it out?

I can see both sides - if increased BO take from the Stark Effect isn't greater than the payout required to get him, it's kind of a wash. (But if it is...Kevin...you will have opened the pocketbooks of MILLIONS of potential moviegoers.)

And of course, if RDJ really just doesn't want to do it, even a Depp-sized paycheck won't bring him on. (And does anyone really want to see a Pirates 4-style "only in it for the money" sleepwalk performance?)

Thankfully Ive never seen Robert do one of those, and Id like to think he would do Im in for the money performances ever. And thats why we all love him. :)

I think he loves to do the films and how big the marvel universe is , but he and his wife and agents just wantto make sure hes paid his due.. IM and Avengers and the marvel universe will when its said and done yield over 500B dollars..

So in that right Robert and his fellow actors I guess are in their right to get their small portion.. lol

I just hope it doesnt go to their heads and they want absurd amounts of money in most big budget films they do without a steady proven BO hand  other than with Disney Marvel

• Like 1

I guess you cant say its greedy at all if IM4 has the potential to make Disney nearly 2billion in revenue from merchandising

and movies alone.. Just saying RDJ was a troublemakeri n the past, and one could say he owes his new career to the director of IM and especially Disney for giving him shot at redemption. Do you go so hard at the company that made you?

Hmmm

Still in this new way of earning.. RDJ if he stays could go on to make more than keanu Reeves and Mel Gibson/Passion deal put together..

RDJ the billion dollar man? Very interesting here.

Mel got 600+M for Passion

Keanu Reeves 450M for Matrix in total!! (Bet yu guys didnt know how paid in the shade the one was right lol)

He was so loaded he didnt like how the crew was paid and give them 30-40M to make sure they were taken care of.

Now thats my kind of hero. :)

Mel Gibson financed Passion with his own money which at the time was seen as a crazy idea but he did great business out of it.

Didnt realise that Keanu was made that much. Good that he gave some of it to the crew.

• Like 1