CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

@ DAJK,

Thanks for the welcome!  My numbers $130 million was from the Deadline article I saw about 2~3 days ago.  I tried to find the link for that article again, but the article is down (Deadline may have pulled it down?) .  So I guess your number of $105 million is more correct.

Despite its faults, I have really enjoyed DU, and really wish to see a sequel for this to see where the story goes for the main characters (Vlad, Mina, and Master Vampire).  Having no sequel, but a crossover isn't a total loss, but I would be a bit disappointed, and if situation becomes that no sequel and no crossover (i.e. they decide to completely reboot Dracula), then I would be greatly saddened.

I really hope you're right with your predictions DAJK.  It would be really good to see this film do well.

Edited by jamesjuhn84
  • Like 1

I agree that the movie had its share of problems. I didn't particularly love it, but I saw a lot of potential in the film that if they try again with maybe I different director/screenwriter, a sequel could be really good! Luke Evans was amazing in it, and I'm sure Universal knows this. I would be so disappointed in them if they rebooted this.

If Universal needs to blame someone for the movie's problems, they should blame producers. If you want an PG-13 movie, then you shoot a PG-13 movie. You don't shoot an R movie and then cut 30+ minutes of it out. No doubt some of those scenes were important and with the budget they couldn't go back and reshoot them all.

And you don't market an action film as a horror film if you expect it to get good reviews. The first thing the critics will attack is its lack of horror.

• Like 2

I'm guessing you really liked the movie then ;)

I did, despite it's faults.  I've been kinda sick of vampire films such as Underworld, Blade, Twilight where vampires are basically like enhanced humans who suck on human blood.  No other vampire traits whatsoever shown.  Yes some of those films I like (I liked the first 2 Blade films), but if I had to objectively look at it from portrayal of Vampires, those films did not do that very well..

• Like 2

I agree that the movie had its share of problems. I didn't particularly love it, but I saw a lot of potential in the film that if they try again with maybe I different director/screenwriter, a sequel could be really good! Luke Evans was amazing in it, and I'm sure Universal knows this. I would be so disappointed in them if they rebooted this.

Kinda reminds you of what they did with Marvel Cinematic Universe's Hulk right?  Edward Norton was Banner/Hulk in The Incredible Hulk, but that didn't do so well in the Box office (if I remember correctly) and after negociations broke down for him to star in the first Avengers movie, they recast him with Ruffalo.  

I have nothing against Ruffalo (he did an okay job in Avengers), but personally (and I might as well be in the minority here and many MCU movies forums), I wish Marvel didn't recast Banner/Hulk role (despite Norton's reputation of being tough to work with actor).

That's the thing I fear for this.

• Like 2

If Universal needs to blame someone for the movie's problems, they should blame producers. If you want an PG-13 movie, then you shoot a PG-13 movie. You don't shoot an R movie and then cut 30+ minutes of it out. No doubt some of those scenes were important and with the budget they couldn't go back and reshoot them all.

And you don't market an action film as a horror film if you expect it to get good reviews. The first thing the critics will attack is its lack of horror.

I think a lot of studios are trying to play it safe with the whole PG-13 rating.  Sure, PG-13 is not a guarantee it will be bad, but it's not necessarily a box-office magnet either (I shudder to think how Terminator Genisys will perform, since it's been told it's PG-13)  

I think a lot of people were expecting an R-rated film since it's Dracula (like the Coppola film?).  But news articles by director, the cast etc clearly stated this is more of a family action adventure film.  And the trailer didn't show any signs of it being R-rated.  So I guess I wasn't put off by it being PG-13 as much as other people were.  But oh well, that's just me.

• Like 1

Kinda reminds you of what they did with Marvel Cinematic Universe's Hulk right? Edward Norton was Banner/Hulk in The Incredible Hulk, but that didn't do so well in the Box office (if I remember correctly) and after negociations broke down for him to star in the first Avengers movie, they recast him with Ruffalo.

I have nothing against Ruffalo (he did an okay job in Avengers), but personally (and I might as well be in the minority here and many MCU movies forums), I wish Marvel didn't recast Banner/Hulk role (despite Norton's reputation of being tough to work with actor).

That's the thing I fear for this.

I never actually thought of it like that, comparing it to the Hulk. The difference I could see is that even the negative reviews of Dracula said Evans was good, and the good reviews (most of them anyways) say he was the best part. I don't think Hulk was viewed in the same way, and I think (hope) Evans is an "easier" actor to work with than Norton.

One thing that really surprised me about Dracula were the surveys. 43% of the audience was female and 67% (maybe higher now) said they were Luke Evans fans. He has a bigger fanbase in the US than I thought.

• Like 2

I never actually thought of it like that, comparing it to the Hulk. The difference I could see is that even the negative reviews of Dracula said Evans was good, and the good reviews (most of them anyways) say he was the best part. I don't think Hulk was viewed in the same way, and I think (hope) Evans is an "easier" actor to work with than Norton.

Well, I think he's an easier actor (or better wording would be he gets along well with others, e.g. staff, other cast members, studios etc) too.  But I don't think having role in the crossover will guarantee that he will be in any (possible) sequels.  I think Marvel is still feeling the aftereffects of The Incredible Hulk, that they are active in all other projects (such as Doctor Strange movie etc), but are shirking away from an actual Incredible Hulk/Avengers sequels.  

Heck, only roles Ruffalo had got in MCU was first Avengers movie, minor cameo in Iron man 3, and Age of Ultron.  Not sure when an actual Hulk solo film will be released at this rate.

Even with an actual sequel, the only actors/actress they really need are Evans, Dance and Gadon right?  I guess it all comes down to numbers.  How well they do.  Guess we'll have to wait and see (personally hoping it really does well in overseas.......I'm not too hopeful with the US domestic numbers)

• Like 1

One thing that really surprised me about Dracula were the surveys. 43% of the audience was female and 67% (maybe higher now) said they were Luke Evans fans. He has a bigger fanbase in the US than I thought.

If that's the case, I hope the movie doesn't drop too much in the coming weeks (for US domestic numbers).

• Like 1

If that's the case, I hope the movie doesn't drop too much in the coming weeks (for US domestic numbers).

One positive about the Domestic numbers is that they are actually a lot better than many of us were expecting, and a lot of people working in the industry. It's always good for a film when reports say it "exceeded expectations".

Personally, I don't care if Gordon comes back. I didn't care for her in the movie, but Dance and Evans on the other hand, I would love to see again!

• Like 1

One positive about the Domestic numbers is that they are actually a lot better than many of us were expecting, and a lot of people working in the industry. It's always good for a film when reports say it "exceeded expectations".

It made 23.5M. Lets not confuse it for some big hit.

• Like 1