CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

Dat Gone Girl drop. That's even smaller than The Social Network's second weekend drop four years ago despite opening much higher. $150M total is definitely looking possible now. Insane.

Solid openings for Dracula Untold and Alexander. Kind of mediocre for The Judge considering the starpower but the mediocre reviews limited its potential.

Better than expected drop for Annabelle. The Equalizer saw another okay drop. The Maze Runner continues to hold extremely well, movie's been quite a surprise (in terms of both box office and quality). Alright drop for The BoxTrolls, which I guess got hit by competition.

Addicted successfully tapped into its niche demographic.

Kill the Messengers did mediocre, but with merely good reviews and no awards buzz, it was pretty much left for dead. Excellent start for Whiplash, I imagine it'll expand well considering the really glowing reviews. Seems kind of tepid for St. Vincent, but that's the kind of movie that didn't need a limited release to begin with.
  • Like 1

Solid openings for Dracula Untold and Alexander. Kind of mediocre for The Judge considering the starpower but the mediocre reviews limited its potential.

I thought mediocre reviews didn't hurt movies on opening weekend.  Dracula's reviews are worse than The Judge.  No Good Geed's reviews are way worse than The Judge.  More of the blame should go to RDJ's lack of starpower than to a 48% on RT.  Those reviews would affect its legs starting in the 2nd weekend, but a big star would have been able to get this to 18-19 million OW.

I thought mediocre reviews didn't hurt movies on opening weekend.  Dracula's reviews are worse than The Judge.  No Good Geed's reviews are way worse than The Judge.  More of the blame should go to RDJ's lack of starpower than to a 48% on RT.  Those reviews would affect its legs starting in the 2nd weekend, but a big star would have been able to get this to 18-19 million OW.

Dracula Untold - demo is teens and young adults

No Good Deed - young urban audiences

Neither of those demographics care about reviews for a film. They go based on whether they like the marketing or not. They also go primarily to hang out with friends, so the film's quality doesn't mean much. 

The Judge - demo is older adults

Older adults actually do some homework before they go to a movie. They want to know the product they're paying $12 to see is actually worth the cost. 

Gone Girl also held up nicely so that has quite an impact as well. The Equalizer is also adult competition. 

Put RDJ in an action film or a well-made comedy/Oscar contender. I think he could sell it. Just a lot of competition right now. I'm pretty sure even a big star like Denzel wouldn't get The Judge past $20 million. It just looks bleh

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

No actor can sell a movie that doesn't look overly appealing. Such is the case with The Judge. Nice try.

• Like 2