CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

I don't know how everyone's so surprised that Gone Girl held so well. It's a critically acclaimed adult drama. Nothing this weekend looked that appealing. 

Makes sense there'd be legs... why was everyone expecting a 35-45% drop?

There was some talk about it having a rush factor due to a female-driven fanbase.

• Like 1

some RDJ bashinh going on, huh? i haven't seen the movie yet but i never expected it to do huge numbers, its a pet project of robert and his wife, he doesn't always have to do big budgets productions , he tried something else ! i've seen lotsof people tweeting about how they enjoyed the film and topic of father/son 

maybe some people expected tony stark , and he's not tony stark always ! some actors actually do films for the films sake and not the bottom line !

• Like 1

You got two Lifetime dramas choices now showing, which one do you prefer, the sleek cynical one everyone is raving about at the coffee machine or the dull and uncool one nobody gives a fuck about that happens to star Tony Stark but is not directed by David Fincher. Tough choice indeed...

(Ironic since RDJ starred in one of the best if not the best Fincher movie and few gave a crap as well)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

some RDJ bashinh going on, huh? i haven't seen the movie yet but i never expected it to do huge numbers, its a pet project of robert and his wife, he doesn't always have to do big budgets productions , he tried something else ! i've seen lotsof people tweeting about how they enjoyed the film and topic of father/son 

maybe some people expected tony stark , and he's not tony stark always ! some actors actually do films for the films sake and not the bottom line !

I think the only problem with it is it was a big budget movie. $50 million and no one can really understand why? 

• Like 1

RDJ has had a great run with Marvel and even with the Sherlock films but "The Judge" performance is what shows you how Big Tom C, Tom H. and Will Smith are.  They can take unknown properities and make them hits. 

Impressed by The Maze Runner. It's locked for $300m worldwide. 

It's domestic performance seems to be tapping out though. But not enough for the sequel to not happen. 

RDJ has had a great run with Marvel and even with the Sherlock films but "The Judge" performance is what shows you how Big Tom C, Tom H. and Will Smith are.  They can take unknown properities and make them hits. 

It's domestic performance seems to be tapping out though. But not enough for the sequel to not happen. 

It's been having great holds. 

$32m OW and a likely $100m+ finish. 

It'll finish with over $300m worldwide and the budget was a mere $34m and the film was only in 2D.

• Like 2

RDJ has had a great run with Marvel and even with the Sherlock films but "The Judge" performance is what shows you how Big Tom C, Tom H. and Will Smith are. They can take unknown properities and make them hits.

It's not that The Judge is merely unknown, it's that it's unknown and doesn't look appealing to the general audience...Will Smith couldn't make Seven Pounds or After Earth happen, Tom Hanks missed with The Terminal and that one with Julia Roberts where he was in a community college. Cruise had Lions for Lambs, though generally, he tends not to stray too much from the action umbrella with his starring roles these days, which minimizes his odds of flopping.
  • Like 1

Tom Hanks is my #1 actor but I agree he is not immune to flops as well, he had a string of box office disappointments before Captain Phillips but during his peak in the 90s, I think he could have taken a movie like The Judge to bigger box office. I think if The Judge had better reception or if Gone Girl was not doing as well as it is, it could have performed a tad better

• Like 1

Tom Hanks is my #1 actor but I agree he is not immune to flops as well, he had a string of box office disappointments before Captain Phillips but during his peak in the 90s, I think he could have taken a movie like The Judge to bigger box office. I think if The Judge had better reception or if Gone Girl was not doing as well as it is, it could have performed a tad better

Tom Hanks was also my favorite actor.  Still is.  Loved him in Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, etc.  Every actor has their big moments and flops.  Some care and some don't.  Probably wanted to do interesting projects but may not be as appealing to the audiences.

• Like 1

People want Downey to excite (Sherlock, Iron Man) or make them laugh (Due Date). Drama doesn't seem to be the genre they want to see him in. You add in direct adult competition, weak reviews for this kind of movie and mediocre marketing? You get this kind of opening.

• Like 1

Have no interest in seeing The Judge and watching Robert Duvall poop in his pants, but I have to give RDJ credit for going on every talk show to try and promote it and doing non-stop social media work on Twitter to help it's prospects.  

It's obviously a project that he wanted to make and it just happened to not end up being very good.

I agree about the demographic groups, but you are being too easy on RDJ.  He shouldn't get his butt kicked and thrashed by a cheap horror movie in its 2nd weekend of release.  Or by a kid's movie without any buzz.  If the officials come in Monday and put his number at 12.99 million then maybe you will rethink how easy you are being on him.

So RDJ:Ando81::Otto:Fishnets?