CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

On 12/17/2022 at 5:48 AM, excel1 said:

Disagree to a point. Pissed Cavill fans will be undermining everything now ala Battinson. The Batman is no doubt a borderline box office disappointment, don't think they didn't make a difference.

Cavill fans are not that powerful, guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

@grim22  What the hell went down, here???  😄  D. Johnson denies it all... 

Man, the DC drama reveals never end... it's better than any soap opera! 

https://thedirect.com/article/henry-cavill-fired-manager-superman

I have no insight into personal managerial relationships.

Remind me on Feb 18 2023 and I will provide a complete timeline including what exactly went down around Comic Con which is something literally no trade or otherwise has even mentioned, with really good reason why they haven't mentioned it. It's the most stupid exclusive I know, and trust me it's very very very stupid that it even happened.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I have no insight into personal managerial relationships.

Remind me on Feb 18 2023 and I will provide a complete timeline including what exactly went down around Comic Con which is something literally no trade or otherwise has even mentioned, with really good reason why they haven't mentioned it. It's the most stupid exclusive I know, and trust me it's very very very stupid that it even happened.

Why Feb 18, 2023?

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Because that's the day I'm allowed to talk in specifics. I'll provide the reason for the date on that date as well.

Ok, I am gonna set an alarm on my phone then. I want all the juicy details.

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Well-written and logical take. Gunn no doubt has to be the odds on favorite to fully realize his vision. Week before Christmas 2025 release would be ideal as well.

SR and MOS both tried to reinvent the wheel in their own way, and this is a path that Gunn would be wise to avoid. Without question, JG's Superman should have more "humor" than Snyder's did, but it needs be toned down from the style of Gunn's other films. Also in Gunn's favor is that, similar to Matt Reeves and totally unlike Zack Snyder, he is widely respected by film critics which means they'll approach his Superman film more openly and less skeptically than critics approached, say Man of Steel.

There is a serious craving for traditional Superman with a tone similar to that of Wonder Woman or a Captain America movie. That fans never got to see Cavill in that role was part of their desire for him to return. General audiences will response to a modernized version of the Richard Donner take. Logical updates would mostly apply to the Daily Planet deal - maybe maybe it a 24 hours news network instead of newspaper, Lois should quickly figure out that Clark/Superman are the same person, etc. 

Gunn has it in him to deliver.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I like Gunn, but he is going have to show some sides of himself he has not shown so far if he is going to make a Superman movie.He can't depend on snarky humor like has has done.

Yes, I wonder if he is the right choice for Supes.

Counterpoint: Nobody thought Peter Jackson, who mostly been known for low budget dramas and B horror movies could handle Lord of the Rings. 

15 hours ago, JWR said:

Counterpoint: Nobody thought Peter Jackson, who mostly been known for low budget dramas and B horror movies could handle Lord of the Rings. 

Jackson's LOTR, Nolan's TDK, even Singer's X1 and X2 seem to be remarkable exceptions.