CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

2 hours ago, JWR said:

People were "sick" of Spider-Man after The Amazing Spider-Man 2, then Homecoming went on to not only have great reception but outgross TASM2

Point is: If it's good, people will show up.

a little different. Holland Spider-man first appeared in Civil War and then had RDJ guest starring in his first film

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

a little different. Holland Spider-man first appeared in Civil War and then had RDJ guest starring in his first film

No one is suggesting that Gunn’s Superman and the DCU should follow the same formula. The point JWR is making still stands: make good films, gain the audience’s good will that eventually your cinematic universe will turn profit. That’s why I think that John Campea is right about this particular subject, a clock is right two times a day and all that:

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I guess I just don't see the contradiction

It’s not a contradiction, it’s a misconception. From an executive standpoint it might look like having a Spider-Man film and Iron Man showing up (which was more like a feat than an actual team up tbh) might mean ‘omg money’. But for a world building and gaining good will aspect, it’s about setting apart the MCU’s Spider-Man from all the others, giving the sense that Spider-Man is part of this much larger world. I always liked the double meaning of Homecoming too. The high school party aspect of it and also the meaning that Spidey was finally home. This video when it was announced that Spider-Man was going to finally be part of the MCU is unforgettable to me:

It gives me chills every time. We came a long way since this.

41 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

No one is suggesting that Gunn’s Superman and the DCU should follow the same formula. The point JWR is making still stands: make good films, gain the audience’s good will that eventually your cinematic universe will turn profit. That’s why I think that John Campea is right about this particular subject, a clock is right two times a day and all that:

This film will absolutely need to turn a profit though. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

I would imagine budget wise it'll be $150-180m, you can't really do Superman on the cheap. Spider-Man: Homecoming was $175m for example. 

I’m incredibly impressed how beautiful Vol. 3 looks, btw. A lot of big sets, top notch VFX, practical effects mixed up with those, insane fight stunts, photography, etc. Gunn says that Marvel Studios loved him because he always delivered on time and still under budget. I imagine that he is bringing his whole team with him for Superman Legacy.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I would imagine budget wise it'll be $150-180m, you can't really do Superman on the cheap. Spider-Man: Homecoming was $175m for example. 

That's what you should do on any kind of reboot or whatever.  I swear I remember when they cancelled SM4 and said they were gonna reboot it as $100m 'small' film, but then it ended up being $200m.

Both solo Superman movies were saddled with insane budgets that they really can't afford this time around. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not a contradiction, it’s a misconception. From an executive standpoint it might look like having a Spider-Man film and Iron Man showing up (which was more like a feat than an actual team up tbh) might mean ‘omg money’. But for a world building and gaining good will aspect, it’s about setting apart the MCU’s Spider-Man from all the others, giving the sense that Spider-Man is part of this much larger world. I always liked the double meaning of Homecoming too. The high school party aspect of it and also the meaning that Spidey was finally home. This video when it was announced that Spider-Man was going to finally be part of the MCU is unforgettable to me:

It gives me chills every time. We came a long way since this.

Fair or not, Superman: Legacy will have to pay for the "sins" of the DCEU. People will understandably be hesitant to give this brand another chance after 10 years of occasional ups and mostly downs. However, if the movie is good (or even great), it will be able to overcome that stigma and baggage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yes. The 2 actors I was hoping for from the list. Brosnahan just has IT, her performance in the final season of Mrs Maisel was so so good especially considering she had to play so many different ages in it.

I am 100% certain this was supposed to be SDCC reveal but due to the strikes, they had to reveal it now.

• Like 6

The process has gone on for months with Safran and Gunn wanting a thorough search to find the two talents that would lead this new franchise. With these two roles now locked up, Gunn will now look to fill the shoes of Superman’s arch-nemesis Lex Luthor as well as other supporting characters like Kent’s friend Jimmy Olsen.

The project was announced earlier this year when Gunn and Safran laid out their plan for the first phase of this revamped slate and Superman: Legacy was front and center as the project that would help launch this strategy. That presentation also included plans for a new Batman pic Batman: The Brave the Bold (which recently tapped Andy Muschietti to direct) and The Authority. 

For Corenswet, the film will mark his first major leading role in a major studio film having previously appeared in projects like Pearl, The Politician and We Own This City. From the start, his name has floated to the top and following that final audition, sealed the deal on the biggest role of his career thus far.

Brosnahan is coming off her final season of her career making role in Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which has earned a number of accolades including an Emmy win. She also has been at the top of the list of woman to play Lois Lane following what many have described as the best audition of the process.

Justice for Jimmy fucking Olsen. Finally.