CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

On 10/1/2020 at 4:55 PM, Hangman said:

What???? No way that's true. I doubt he said that.  

A. I see that a lot of producer credits are pretty much "courtesy  credits"  is an idea that seems to just zip by some people's head. Ghe Weinsteins getting producers credit on the LOTR films when they had almost nothing to do with actual making of the films is a good example.

B. Snyder was Kicked Upstairs by Warners...ie he kept his title and salary are producer, but  had his actual power taken away from him. Common maneuver in business where you can't fire somebody who is messing up for various reasons, but need to remvoe him from any real power or influence.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, WittyUsername said:

Upon looking back at Man of Steel, I think I’ve regained some of my past appreciation for it. It’s a flawed movie for sure, but I do like the ideas behind it, and I  do genuinely like the prologue on Krypton, even if it perhaps goes on longer than it needs to. I was actually one of those people who defended the movie back in the day, and despite its rough spots, I was cautiously optimistic that it would lead to something better and brighter. I mean, the last shot of the movie is literally Clark Kent smiling. 

MOS is a frusating film because a lot of iit is good, but a lot of it is flawed.

I h ad really hoped that last shot showed that Snyder was through with the "moody,moping, feeling Sorry of himself " Superman ..that Kent had worked through that problme and we would have a more optimistic Supes in the future, but instead we got the self pitying moping Superman worse then ever in BvS.

I have to give Snyder credit for the battle of Smallville;one of the best comic book action scens ever filmed. That is because SNyder exercised some self control in that scene. Too bad he lost his self control in the battle of Metropolis.

At one point in the Supers vs Zod fight there is so much CGI crap on the screen you cannot follow the actual fight.

Spontaneous Director Wants to Make An All-Star Superman Movie

All-Star-Superman-Comic-Cover-Art.jpg?q=

Brian Duffield, writer-director of the sci-fi rom-com Spontaneous would love to direct a more relatable Superman film based on the All-Star series.

Brian Duffield, writer and director of the sci-fi horror romantic comedy Spontaneous, has expressed interest in directing a Man of Steel sequel based on the All-Star Superman line of comics. Screenwriter Duffield made his directorial with the October 2 release of Spontaneous, in which teenage eccentrics Mara (Katherine Langford) and Dylan (Charlie Plummer) find love as students all around them start spontaneously exploding at random. Though the film began production long before the coronavirus pandemic, its poignant setting in the midst of an indiscriminate pandemic is exceedingly relevant.

Opposite an independent high school comedy, Superman is another world of cinema entirely. One of DC's most recognizable heroes, the Kryptonian, has appeared on the big screen for decades, starring in action-packed blockbusters since the 1970s when Christopher Reeve launched the first modern saga. Though the first film was widely lauded, its three sequels progressively worsened until Reeve threw in the towel for good. Since then, Superman sequels have been ever elusive. Henry Cavill is the latest to don the red cape and boots, debuting in 2013's Man of Steel and portraying Clark Kent/Kal-El in the DCEU films. Despite rightful praise for Cavill's portrayal, Man of Steel has yet to receive a proper sequel, owing to past catastrophes and the difficulty in finding engaging new challenges for an all-powerful superhero.

Speaking to ComicBookMovie.com, Duffield presented his own idea for a Superman sequel based on the All-Star series of comics. Though he confirms he has not spoken to anyone about heading a Superman flick, Duffield says he believes people are mistaken when they say Superman isn't an interesting character. He says that what Superman needs is a more down-to-earth rendition rather than the nonstop action that generally defines the Man of Steel's film outings.

"Now is the time where a really human and hopeful Superman living in this kind of world that we're in right now could be uplifting and funny and cool in a way. My buddy Mattson [Tomlin] wrote the new Batman movie which is obviously on the darker, and awesome, looking side of things, but I feel with Superman, you could do something not too dissimilar in tone to Spontaneous with it where it's just a lot of fun, but you're dealing with bigger issues."

The All-Star comics exemplified much of what Duffield discusses, a more relaxed and human Superman who carries the air of a man who is essentially impervious to physical damage or discomfort. The enduringly popular DC comics give equal weight to Superman and Clark Kent, emphasizing that though he may be unmatched in skill and strength, he is still a person who must navigate interpersonal relationships and emotional tribulations that he cannot simply trounce in a physical contest. In a Superman film, this theme may just be what a sequel needs, with Duffield at the helm or otherwise.

Cavill has made no secret of his eagerness to return for a sequel, coyly stoking rumors about a future Superman film. His humanizing performance of the character would lend itself well to a film focusing on Clark Kent's interpersonal relationships, especially one which captures the contemporary zeitgeist. Duffield almost presciently tapped into the fears of our time with Spontaneous, predicting a world in which ordinary people must persist in the midst of a deadly pandemic. The place of an impervious Superman in a directly analogous world presents interesting and sobering narrative questions. How does the Man of Steel combat an enemy he cannot fight and which can affect everyone he knows and loves, but not himself?

https://screenrant.com/all-star-superman-movie-spontaneous-director-brian-duffield/

Edited by belblazer

3 hours ago, belblazer said:

Spontaneous Director Wants to Make An All-Star Superman Movie

All-Star-Superman-Comic-Cover-Art.jpg?q=

Brian Duffield, writer-director of the sci-fi rom-com Spontaneous would love to direct a more relatable Superman film based on the All-Star series.

https://screenrant.com/all-star-superman-movie-spontaneous-director-brian-duffield/

So long as that scene with the teenager is included, I'll buy it.

5 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

So long as that scene with the teenager is included, I'll buy it.

All Star Superman is a good idea for a film, but not sure this director is the right pick. I would want somebody withmore then one sucess under his belt.

• Like 1

Didn’t Grace Randolph embarrass herself regarding The Mandalorian recently? Still, if she’s right about this, I would think they’d try to get Henry Cavill back, now that he’s become a bigger name. A J.J. Abrams Superman movie doesn’t exactly excite me, but it would be nice get at least one more Superman movie before I die. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Didn’t Grace Randolph embarrass herself regarding The Mandalorian recently? Still, if she’s right about this, I would think they’d try to get Henry Cavill back, now that he’s become a bigger name. A J.J. Abrams Superman movie doesn’t exactly excite me, but it would be nice get at least one more Superman movie before I die. 

JJ Abrams isn't meant to exciting, he's meant to ensure a safe crowd-pleaser with 4 quadrant appeal. Which, Superman needs as a jumping off point.

• Like 1

Jodie Comer would be a huge get for either Marvel or DC, which is why I'm approaching this with cautious optimism (all I'll say is she'd be a good Sue Storm).

Abrams being involved isn't surprising if true, though after Rise of Skywalker, I'd rather he stay off the script himself and maybe just produce.

I think it will be announced this year as one of the movies for 2023. If it doesn't happen this year, it won't happen anymore... 2023 will be the 10th anniversary of Man of Steel.

I'm just curious if they will recast or no. Seeing Cavill in The Flash, Shazam 2 and Shazam vs Black Adam will be good so I wouldn't bother with a recast since it's a Calvin Ellis else-world movie like The Batman.