CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Watchmen is a pretty faithful adaptation, so I’m not sure what your argument is. All I was saying was that they clearly read things besides Frank Miller. 

Watchmen is the exact opposite of a faithful adaptation. It's faithful in terms of the comic panels but not the meaning behind the panels. The comic's message is "superheroes are pathetic, stop looking to them to save you", the movie's message is "superheroing is so damn cool, especially Rorschach". The Watchmen show had to go out of it's way to try and fix that.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Watchmen is a pretty faithful adaptation, so I’m not sure what your argument is. All I was saying was that they clearly read things besides Frank Miller. 

It's faithful in that it recreates panels and moments from Watchmen. But missed the point of the source material.

It glorifies in the violence the graphic novel was satirizing/condemning. It lionizes Rorschach, who in the book is a conspiratorial bigoted asshole.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

That show was brilliant but they never explained how Rorschach became a public figure as Ozymandias's plot was still a secret.

Rorschach's journal came out and it was treated as conspiracy theory nonsense since it was published in a hateful right-wing rag (The New Frontiersman), so no-one believed ozy was actually a criminal outside of some lunatics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Watchmen is the exact opposite of a faithful adaptation. It's faithful in terms of the comic panels but not the meaning behind the panels. The comic's message is "superheroes are pathetic, stop looking to them to save you", the movie's message is "superheroing is so damn cool, especially Rorschach". The Watchmen show had to go out of it's way to try and fix that.

I didn’t get the impression that the movie was trying to suggest any of that was cool. I sure as hell didn’t think they were trying to glorify Rorschach. He commits the same kinds of violent and unhinged actions he does in the source material. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, eddyxx said:

Well I guess this is my most anticipated film of 2025 now.

I’m hyped as fuck, yes. This is a surprisingly in depth conversation on his thought process as a storyteller and the road from Guardians to Superman Legacy, I highly recommend listening the podcast I’ve linked above. Kinda meta listening to the new director of Superman talking with his old buddy Lex Luthor lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m hyped as fuck, yes. This is a surprisingly in depth conversation on his thought process as a storyteller and the road from Guardians to Superman Legacy, I highly recommend listening the podcast I’ve linked above. Kinda meta listening to the new director of Superman talking with his old buddy Lex Luthor lol.

I think he meant that since the avengers was delayed lol

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I think he meant that since the avengers was delayed lol

Well aware. I say let them cook, not worried with release dates. If this gets delayed, the same thing. We aren’t in the clear yet, we could get a SAG strike and that could delay literally everything.

Just now, Warmaster506 said:

If Gunns nail this film it will explode to over 1 billion.

Not necessarily. I expect it around more or less what The Batman cleared at a box office. I wouldn’t like to go with wild expectations for this one. You need this to be the Iron Man of the DCU, it’s not competing against Marvel, it’s building the founding rock for the new DC Universe.

• Like 3