Thrylos 7

Movies that inexplicably didn't receive a sequel ...

E.T. It was a massive all-time hit at the box office. You would think that they would have found a way to get a sequel out of that film.

Uh huhhh, no. That movie was perfect as a standalone story.

Anyway, I'm surprised Disney never attempted any sort of franchise (either on the big screen or a television spin-off) with Sky High, which actually did pretty well considering the relatively low budget. Probably the most pleasantly surprised I've ever been by a movie that I remember not having much interest in seeing initially.

True Lies was scheduled for 2002 start date until 9/11 and Cameron officially left.  They say the story was reworked and eventually became Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Commando 2 was reworked to Die Hard. I read that too. And Arnold's part in Predator 2 was completely minimized and turned into Gary Busey's role.

Dick Tracy

Wild Hogs (They had scripts for years before it was finally cancelled)

National Treasure 3 (But they say the reasoning behind it was Cage couldn't commit to just one film during all of his financial problems and signed on for 12 quick $3-6 million paychecks for him) now 7 years have passed and it just seems like it wouldn't work.

A Roger Rabbit  and Bettlejuice sequels were given multiple scripts but nothing ever materialized.