#ED

John Wick (2014)

John Wick  

60 members have voted

1. 1. John Wick

First off, when was the last time you watched The Raid?  There are plenty of fights where Rama takes on more than one person at a time.  

Secondly, this is a movie!  It's not supposed to be realistic in anyway, shape, or form.  

Third, I've never understood that argument, "Why don't they all attack at the same time?!"  I don't think you can actually have more than 3, maybe 4 people attacking one person at the same time, especially in hand-to-hand and CQ combat, otherwise, they would get in each others way!  Especially when they are fighting with machetes!  

I have only seen John Wick the one time and I'm dying for Tuesday to get here so I can see it again.  From what I remember, the action in Wick was a lot more focused on gunplay rather than the straight martial arts of the Raid films, with some very sick CQC mixed in.   They are different enough to both be awesome and bad ass in their own way.  John Wick is better than The Raid 2, but not The Raid.

Of course they can attack all at once. My only problem with the raid is after seeing all my guys getting destroyed by Rama i'd just pull out a gun, but instead they carried on attacking with machetes  and fists instead of ending the fight nice and early because it was coooool. I understand its a martial arts film and it would defeat the point if they just shot your main character but then again the films wants to be take seriously so imo it doesn't quite work.

John Wick is just a better film, I cared more about the main character, it was funny, had a better script with much more interesting back stories.

John Wick>The Raid/Raid 2

• Like 1

Of course they can attack all at once. My only problem with the raid is after seeing all my guys getting destroyed by Rama i'd just pull out a gun, but instead they carried on attacking with machetes  and fists instead of ending the fight nice and early because it was coooool. I understand its a martial arts film and it would defeat the point if they just shot your main character but then again the films wants to be take seriously so imo it doesn't quite work.

So then, oh wise one, how do you solve this problem that every single martial arts movie in the history of the universe has always had?

The fight scenes/action in The Raid 2 are undeniably better than anything in John Wick, but John Wick is a more enjoyable movie overall because of its wit, cinematography, world building, pacing, characters, and use of music.  The Raid 2 just gets too bogged down in its plot to the point where I just fast-forward through it to all the action parts.

• Like 1

Just got it on Blu-Ray and am rewatching it a lot.

Yeah I bought it yesterday and just got finished watching it again.  I think I like it better than even before

You learn something new everyday. Today I learned that the definition of bad ass is everything that John Wick is.

well when you are the guy they send to kill the boogeyman, yeah I say that makes one a bad ass ;)

• Like 1

Check out what it says stamped on the clipboard with the dog at the end.

John%20Wick%202014.mp4-01_34_0600001_zps

He wasn't taking the dog for the sake of stealing it.

Nice subtle symbolic touch in a movie that is literally a blatant shot to the head of adrenaline.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

John Wick's attention to detail is remarkable. I'll be buying this on BR even though I have it on disc.

It's worth it for just the few features on it. The amount of time Keanu trained alone was amazing

• Like 1

It's worth it for just the few features on it. The amount of time Keanu trained alone was amazing

I honestly love Keanu.  He works really hard for every role he gets.  I've seen some interviews with him on Canadian television and he is very candid and the stuff he does for his roles, as you say, is quite amazing.

John Wick's attention to detail is remarkable.  I'll be buying this on BR even though I have it on disc.

There were some inconsistencies in terms of geographical details. The license plate on his car was New Jersey, and the gas station he stops at is in New Jersey, but he pumps his own gas which in NJ is not allowed. However, they seem to show the funeral scene somewhere east of Manhattan and then later show him driving across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan suggesting he was coming in from Long Island instead of NJ.

But that stuff was ultimately inconsequential.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

There were some inconsistencies in terms of geographical details. The license plate on his car was New Jersey, and the gas station he stops at is in New Jersey, but he pumps his own gas which in NJ is not allowed. However, they seem to show the funeral scene somewhere east of Manhattan and then later show him driving across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan suggesting he was coming in from Long Island instead of NJ.

But that stuff was ultimately inconsequential.

Yeah, that's stuff that someone like me and millions other wouldn't catch.

You really can't pump your own gas in New Jersey??

It's not legal to. It's not because we're incapable of it. :lol:

Exactly.  It was original done for job creation and has stayed that way.  

So yes, as Jay said, it is actually illegal for us to pump our own gas.  Plus it gives the running gag of any time we leave the statue of "how'd you do pumping your gas" going :P