#ED

John Wick (2014)

John Wick  

60 members have voted

1. 1. John Wick

I honestly liked everything.

The world they created was awesome.

The gold coins.

The hotel where rules state that no hitman or hitwoman can carry out any kind of violence towards one another while there.

If you do, your membership is revoked, this means you die.

The cleaning service.

The guy at the desk.

Keanu was terrific in it. His acting was fine but his physical acting is top notch.

I love how they made him out to be the boogeyman...the one guy that the nastiest fuckers in the world are afraid of.

I love that he was not invincible, both physically and mentally and emotionally, he was flawed.

The frenetic direction was brilliant.

The color schemes were awesome.

I liked how there was honour among hitmen as well.  Dafoe would not kill his friend, but he would protect him.

I loved loved loved Leguazamo's small role.

The humour was brilliant as well.  

"Why did you lay a hand on my son."

"He stole John Wick's car and killed his dog."

"Oh."

And that's it.  That's all that needed to be said.

Undoubtedly one of the most original action films I've seen.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 11

Great action, and surprisingly, really good humor.

I was expecting the action angle but not the humor angle at all. Unexpected but very much welcome.

Loved the club scene and the home invasion sequences, those were well done.

As many have stated here, music was put to good use.

A bit slow in the start for me and some action sequences don't have enough...tension in them (IMO, only some) but overall, a good time.

7/10

• Like 2

I gotta say I really liked it, it didn't feel cliche (like most films of the assassin sub-genre), the dialogue was great and genuinely funny.

Visually, this is in a whole new level, one of the best looking films of the year, it certainly is between the films I have watched so far. First time seeing Keanu kicking some serious ass and he's pretty damn good at it. Also, what a great and interesting universe: the coins, the hotel no kill policy, etc.

It's not my kinda of movie, but enjoyed the hell out of it.

75/100

Edited by Goffe Ascending
  • Like 1

I love the world they created for this movie.  The coins, the laundry service, the "Switzerland" hotel, where you cannot break the rules.  The script was brilliant for a film that was predominantly action-centric.  And the humour was top notch as well.

"Care to explain why you slapped my son around tonight."

"He stole John wick's car and killed his dog."

(Grave look on his face, like he just saw his own death) "Oh."  Hangs up the phone.

I loved it.

9/10 

BAUMER AND I AGREE ON THE GRADE OF A SHOOT EM UP MOVIE WHAT ON EARTH

John Wick is a wonderful film--an easy contender for my top 20 of the year--and I can't wait show it to my friends and have them freak out the same way I did. 

• Like 2

Excellent entertainment 

Baumer listed everything that was great about it and so did mattmav so I'll just add a few thinsg I would've preferred to be different 

1. It takes too long to kick off ... it could've been done 10 minutes sooner IMO ... these movies do generally take a while to get things going and while the house attack is the 'official' start of the action I think that it really kicks off at the club which is a tad too late 

2. Ian Mcshane, Dafoe and Leguiazmo were a bit underused especially Dafoe but since they were striving to clock in at a much desired time for a movie like this ( under 100 minutes ) its alright I guess 

... oh another thing I liked was how much it draw inspiration from Hong Kong action cinema of which I was always a major fan ( my second favorite film of all time is The Killer ) 

Jason Statham must be so jealous right now this is what he's striving for but his movies usually fail him

Bring on the sequel ! 

... grading doesn't matter to a film like this but I'd say 8/10 

• Like 2

Wow, this movie was a blast.

Keane Reeves is a pretty bad actor imo but he's so likable that I couldn't care less. As baumer said, his physical acting was great, and looks like the guy can drive a car well too. The back story on John wick was brilliant, everyone was afraid of this guy and also had upmost respectful for him and when the gun fire started going off the character certainly lived up to the hype.

Now the choreography was just amazing, there isn't many films where the hero is able to take down about a hundred guys without the audience thinking 'surely he would have been shot by now' but it was so well done that it was believable. Loved the small parts of humour too. There's a scene where Wick hits a guy in the face and reloads his pistol before finishing him off, it doesn't sound funny but onscreen this had me in tears. Great characters, great work building and a great action movie.

IMO this is miles better than the overrated Raid 2

A-

Edited by jessie

Really fun and exciting movie. A pretty standard revenge story but with brilliant action choreography (the closest they've got to The Raid films), well shot and it doesn't take itself too seriously. The dark off beat humor elevates it. The film knows its limits and it gets almost the maximum out of them. Great supporting cast (i loved the bad guy) and great world building around John Wick.

Unforunately one serious problem i had with it was that Wick's main goal ends about 70 minutes or so into the film and Dafoe's character is just there so the movie can reach a feature length. It's pretty obvious his character is there for no other reason.

Still a really damn good action flick.

im going to say it right now, I preferred the choreography in this than the Raid movies. Problem with the raid is all enemies seem to attack in order, never at once so my eyes always roll into the back of my head thinking 'why not all attack at once?' In this they did attack at once and when John Wick took them out, it was more believable.

im going to say it right now, I preferred the choreography in this than the Raid movies. Problem with the raid is all enemies seem to attack in order, never at once so my eyes always roll into the back of my head thinking 'why not all attack at once?' In this they did attack at once and when John Wick took them out, it was more believable.

First off, when was the last time you watched The Raid?  There are plenty of fights where Rama takes on more than one person at a time.  

Secondly, this is a movie!  It's not supposed to be realistic in anyway, shape, or form.  

Third, I've never understood that argument, "Why don't they all attack at the same time?!"  I don't think you can actually have more than 3, maybe 4 people attacking one person at the same time, especially in hand-to-hand and CQ combat, otherwise, they would get in each others way!  Especially when they are fighting with machetes!  

I have only seen John Wick the one time and I'm dying for Tuesday to get here so I can see it again.  From what I remember, the action in Wick was a lot more focused on gunplay rather than the straight martial arts of the Raid films, with some very sick CQC mixed in.   They are different enough to both be awesome and bad ass in their own way.  John Wick is better than The Raid 2, but not The Raid.

• Like 1

Loved this film, also liked one reviewers comment I saw when he said the universe built was so good you'd be happy to see a spin off film just about the hotel, let alone Wick.

And I agree. I'd love to see a John Wick 2, but I's also like to see a film called 'The continental' too.