grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Deadline's famous weekend estimates are off at the best of times. When you have an unusual weekend such as this, it's quite hard to predict so I think the final numbers may well certainly change. I also think Deadline could be wrong about the Friday numbers for both films.

Early Deadline estimates mean almost nothing in terms of accuracy.

It ain't just a river in Egypt.

• Like 3

Deadline's famous weekend estimates are off at the best of times. When you have an unusual weekend such as this, it's quite hard to predict so I think the final numbers may well certainly change. I also think Deadline could be wrong about the Friday numbers for both films.

Early Deadline estimates mean almost nothing in terms of accuracy.

You need to be more pessimistic

Interstellar could still end with an OW under 50m.  

• Like 2

Fatal attraction was a big deal, highly discussed, headline movie back int the day; not comparable at all. 

Well Gone Girl is a big deal, highly discussed, headline making movie too lol. Have you seen the number of articles written about it, from feminism to marriage? 

Dunno. This movie was being touted as being a billion dollar grosser. I myself couldn't get behind the hype because the trailers looked boring as fuck, and the movie itself looked to be too preachy.

The trailer and ads for Interstellar struck me as boring and preachy, too. For whatever reason MM looked like he was either drugged or half-asleep, while the reading of that overused poem sounded pompous. The marketing wasn't going to mobilize the public to turn out in droves. The material needed to give at least the illusion that the movie is exciting and has spectacular action, even if those elements are actually lacking. Also, the studios may be impressed by Nolan's name but the GA apparently doesn't share their reverence. They might reconsider relying on the director's rep to move the product.

Literally only a few people actually believed that and most of them were doing it for the sake of doing it, not because they actually thought that Interstellar could make that much.

Most expectations were around 500 to 600m worldwide.

Plenty of people on this forum acted as if they believed that Interstellar would make a billion. Only one of them is a shill. Backpedaling is understandable under the circumstances, of course.

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

:P
  • Like 4

Funny how Gone Girl is such a huge leggy smash, and yet it still hasn't grossed what Fatal Attraction did nearly 30 years ago. lol 

Fatal Attraction was the #2 movie of the year. Safe to say that Gone Girl won't even sniff the top 10.

I'm hoping the Deadline estimates are a bit on the low side, but I don't imagine they'd be more than 2-3 million off... which kind of sucks.  I was hoping for a bigger weekend all around.

Well Gone Girl is a big deal, highly discussed, headline making movie too lol. Have you seen the number of articles written about it, from feminism to marriage? 

not at the level of Fatal Attraction. far from it.

ofc, the media diversity is a big factor here. too many attention grabbers to compete for being the big news. back then, it's a much simpler time. 

Not even close to the phenomenon that was Fatal Attraction that also had bigger stars at the time in Douglas and Close. 

There's a reason the term "bunny boiler" is now part of the vernacular.

• Like 2