grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Interstellar's unusual release pattern throws off the numbers a bit, combined with the weekend having BH6 which makes for a somewhat unique situation.

yeah, the pattern is that is has been putting up smaller-than-hoped-for numbers for 3 days instead of just 1.

That's called "the writing is on the wall".

• Like 1

Interstellar opening to 52-55 mill means it opened to exactly the range of Gravity and Prometheus, without 3D.  So the number is good.  It's just this site that had unreal and out of whack predictions.  When's the last time an original film not directed by James Cameron earned a billion dollars (to answer my own question...after looking it up, that would be Frozen).

Ouija's drop is quite surprising, especially as it is coming the week after Halloween and it will drop less than 50%.

Nightcrawler also didn't drop all that hard.

St. Vincent is one of the best films of the year imo, so glad to see it doing well.

John Wick isn't getting quite the legs I'd hoped but it's not bad either.  

Have you seen Nightcrawler yet?

I loved it.

Interstellar's unusual release pattern throws off the numbers a bit, combined with the weekend having BH6 which makes for a somewhat unique situation.

I don't think it's unique to have competition,  and I also don't think it's that unreasonable to have a range that IS will open to.  Could it be off 2-3 mill?  Sure.  Gut it's not going to gross 60 or 40 mill, so the numbers being levied about now are a good range.  

exactly, so BOOOO for locking the WWW thread

It's locked because it's a knee jerk reaction thread and nothing has gone wrong.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

Have you seen Nightcrawler yet?

I loved it.

I'm really wanting to see it, but my crew doesn't go for these kinds of films so I may get stuck waiting until it's on DVD.

Guys, you can discuss this in the Interstellar thread but when a film opens to EXACTLY the same amount as two recent high profile space themed sci fi films, how can you say anything went wrong?

because Nolan

Hmm, I don't see IS getting to 50 now with that new range. Maybe, if it does the high end of the Friday range.

I'm gonna go ahead and call it that IS will be very comparable to Prometheus at the box office. Albeit with maybe a slightly smaller OW and slightly better legs.

And I adored Prometheus, so that's not meant as a slam by me. Rather that the WOM between the two will be very comparable as highly polarizing sci-fi flicks.

Deadline 

The Friday charts:

1). Big Hero 6 (DIS), 3,761 theaters / $16M Fri. (includes $1.4M late nights) / 3-day cume: $54M to $56M+ / Wk 1

2). Interstellar (PAR), 3,561 theaters / $16.5M to $18M Fri. (includes $2.7M Thursday) / 3-day cume: $50M to $52M / Total cume: $54.2M (includes $2.15M previews) / Wk 1

3/4/5). Ouija (UNI), 2,680 theaters (-219) / $2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $6.2M to $6.5M / Total cume: $44M / Wk 3

Gone Girl (FOX), 2,224 theaters (-610) / $2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $6M to $6.4M / Total cume: $145.5M / Wk 6

Nightcrawler (OPRD), 2,766 theaters (0) / $1.8M to $2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.8M to $6M (-44%) / Total cume: $18M to $20M / Wk 2

6/7). Fury (SONY), 2,834 theaters (-479) / $1.65M to $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.3M to $5.5M / Total cume: $69M / Wk 4

St. Vincent (TWC), 2,455 theaters (-97) / $1.65M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.2M to $5.4M / Total cume: $27M+ / Wk 5

8). John Wick (LGF), 2,152 theaters (-437) / $1.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.3M / Total cume: $34.7M / Wk 3

9). Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (DIS), 2,381 theaters (-515) / $1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.6M / Total cume: $59M+ / Wk 5

10). The Book of Life (FOX), 2,166 theaters (-628) / $700K Fri. / 3-day cume: $3M+ / Total cume: $45M / Wk 4

NOTEWORTHY:  27). The Theory of Everything (FOCUS), 5 theaters / $58K Fri. / 3-day cume: $200K / Per screen: $40K / Wk 1

Top 10 143.4m vs 157.9m last year. That's disappointing.

$50M is great for Interstellar. Its the Nolanites who kept comparing it to Inception. Inception looked fun and action packed. Interstellar looks like a IMAX documentary. 

I agree.

The Nolanites pay the early hype they created themselves ^^"

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

I don't think it's unique to have competition,  and I also don't think it's that unreasonable to have a range that IS will open to.  Could it be off 2-3 mill?  Sure.  Gut it's not going to gross 60 or 40 mill, so the numbers being levied about now are a good range.  

I was actually referring to the early Tuesday release for Interstellar.

$50M is great for Interstellar. Its the Nolanites who kept comparing it to Inception. Inception looked fun and action packed. Interstellar looks like a IMAX documentary. 

I've been saying this for over a year (that 50m was a perfectly fine start for it and much more would be unreasonable). The 70m+ predictions were always 100% unjustified when you looked at all the facts.

• Like 3

yeah, the pattern is that is has been putting up smaller-than-hoped-for numbers for 3 days instead of just 1.

That's called "the writing is on the wall".

I'm not even concerned about the OW itself. For a while I've been saying it's all about the legs for Interstellar.

• Like 1

Guys, why was Gravity so overhyped? :ph34r:

Gravity was fun. It never tried to be anything but a straight thriller movie with a solid performance from Sandra Bullock. This irritating need to down play Gravity to praise Interstellar (not accusing you of doing this) is really irritating.

• Like 9