grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

BH6 had bigger previews than WIR. Without previews the $14.4 to $23.7 is a 65% jump.  W/e should be 15% above WIR and with the same legs it would make $217m. I think it might have stronger ones.

That's true, but it also has slightly stronger competition in the form of Penguins compared to what WiR had in Rise of the Guardians. 

Dreamworks effectively neglected to run a marketing campaign for ROG altogether, I remember debates in threads about that 2 years ago, I think it was the last movie with the Dreamworks-Paramount deal. So both companies wrote it off.

I guess the movie no Frozen. It doesn't have female audience.  

It's way too soon to say that, it's all about legs and with such marks and praise (it's huge, really) you can be sure these legs will be fantastic, the WOM will be amazing :)

• Like 2

That's true, but it also has slightly stronger competition in the form of Penguins compared to what WiR had in Rise of the Guardians. 

Dreamworks effectively neglected to run a marketing campaign for ROG altogether, I remember debates in threads about that 2 years ago, I think it was the last movie with the Dreamworks-Paramount deal. So both companies wrote it off.

I actually saw a lot of trailers for ROtG that year. I just think the movie looked dull and unappealing...

You're right Penguins is stronger competition for kid appeal. So maybe a slightly worse multi than WiR instead of slightly better then? Either way still puts BH6 comfortably over 200.

• Like 1

I actually saw a lot of trailers for ROtG that year. I just think the movie looked dull and unappealing...

You're right Penguins is stronger competition for kid appeal. So maybe a slightly worse multi than WiR instead of slightly better then? Either way still puts BH6 comfortably over 200.

Yeah, 200M should be no problem.

I guess the movie no Frozen. It doesn't have female audience.  

I saw a fair number of females at the showing I was at... but keep in mind that Frozen wasn't just about getting the female audience... seriously that movie got like... everyone.

• Like 1

Interstellar did fine. It's right in line with better than the norm (I know I'm still new to this site but I've predicted, written on many films)

Gravity was the exception to the rule, Interstellar will do better than average (45-55 was always my prediction)

BH6 was always the forefront to win the weekend and it delivered.  Marketing was so much better.

• Like 1

It's way too soon to say that, it's all about legs and with such marks and praise (it's huge, really) you can be sure these legs will be fantastic, the WOM will be amazing :)

word of mouth could be amazing doesn't mean females will care to see it. By looking at the trailers it looks like a movie only for boys. There is no female hook to go and see the movie. 

If memory serves me, didn't Frozen debut in second place and then gained momentum?

word of mouth could be amazing doesn't mean females will care to see it. By looking at the trailers it looks like a movie only for boys. There is no female hook to go and see the movie. 

You might be surprised.  I don't know why people think that women will avoid a movie that seems to be for boys.  It's far more likely for boys to avoid going to see a 'girly' movie.  I know many female Marvel fans.

Also, there are two women shown on the team - even if their role in the movie is actually kind of minimal - and Baymax is a draw for cuteness.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 3

1). Big Hero 6 (DIS), 3,761 theaters / $15.8M Fri. (includes $1.4M late nights) / $23.7M to $24M Sat. / 3-day est. cume: $56M+ / Wk 1

2). Interstellar (PAR), 3,561 theaters / $16.75 Fri. (includes $2.7M Thursday) / $18.4M to $18.7M Sat. / 3-day est. cume: $47M to $48M / Total cume: $49M to $50M (includes $2.15M previews) / Wk 1

3). Gone Girl (FOX), 2,224 theaters (-610) / $1.8M Fri. / $2.8M Sat. / 3-day est. cume: $6.1M / Total cume: $145M+ / Wk 6

4). Ouija (UNI), 2,680 theaters (-219) / $1.9M Fri. / $2.7M Sat. / 3-day est. cume: $5.9M / Total cume: $43M+ / Wk 3

5). Fury (SONY), 2,834 theaters (-479) / $1.6M Fri. / $2.4M Sat. / 3-day est. cume: $5.4M / Total cume: $69M / Wk 4

I see no reason why BH6 will crack 56M with that saturday bump. I'm kinda disappointed tbh.

That 48mil OW for IS is solid IMO, likely ends around 135-150mil, OS another conservative 250mil, likely around 400mil WW.

Again it is a beautiful film, for all the viewing in different formats I went for, there were people stay right after the credits rolled just to discuss about the film. It never happened for other films before.

I will say the marketing was great for BH6.  It was the first animated film I wanted to see in theaters since Ratatouille and The Simpsons Movie.  Obviously I saw TS3, but I was invested in that story.  Best trailers since Incredibles IMO

• Like 2