miketheavenger

Wed #'s: IS 2.022, DADT 1.638, BH6 1.162, GG 0.341

Of note here, Whiplash and Beyond the Lights both decreased. Birdman increased, but only by 5, which makes me think it could be looking at a drop next week. So this is probably as wide as Birdman gets.

The Birdman release and expansion was pretty badly managed - unless it becomes a big awards player. It had white hot buzz a few weeks ago, and it was only playing in 10 theaters. By the time the theater count caught up, the buzz had almost disappeared. A semi-wide release out of the gate may actually have served the movie better.

Birdman is not a movie that is is going to play outside of major cities without a strong awards run. If anything, they expanded it too fast and are now doing the right thing by waiting for its Oscar run to start in December/January.

• Like 1

Birdman is not a movie that is is going to play outside of major cities without a strong awards run. If anything, they expanded it too fast and are now doing the right thing by waiting for its Oscar run to start in December/January.

Mrs Wrath saw it and was actually pretty underwhelmed.  She thought it wasn't really in the same league as Whiplash or Boyhood (both of which she loved), and she even liked St Vincent better because she thought St Vincent delivered a little better on what it was trying to do.  We'll see what the critics say when the Oscar nominations roll around.

I think the expansion was handled about as well as it could have been.  A faster expansion probably would have brought in a few more dollars in the short run, but then the GA disappointment would have crashed right into the hype and possibly hurt it at awards time.  As it was, the two trends narrowly missed each other and it'll probably get a re-release after it gets a nomination or two and the end box office will be about the same.

Edited by Wrath

Be careful. I created a weekend thread once, lost my signal at Home Depot so I couldnt update, and these people started forming a lynch mob. 

I'll never forget that. Bastards.

*sighs* 

Ah, those were great times. 

*sings Memories*

• Like 1

Be careful. I created a weekend thread once, lost my signal at Home Depot so I couldnt update, and these people started forming a lynch mob. 

I'll never forget that. Bastards.

I remember that. Good times. :rofl:
  • Like 1