The Stingray

BOF's Top 25 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century | COUNTDOWN

#16:

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE (2013) - 146 points

"People are looking to you, Katniss. You've given them an opportunity."

The-Hunger-Games-Catching-Fire1-616x912.

Director: Francis Lawrence

Premise: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark become targets of the Capitol after their victory in the 74th Hunger Games sparks a rebellion in the Districts of Panem.

uQvvghN.jpg

BOF user review: OMG where to start with this film?! I mean, such a 180 to how I felt when I saw THG at midnight. After I saw THG at midnight, I was reallly confused about the film and didn't know how I felt. Whereas this one, I literally could not stop smiling or crying during this movie. It was so perfect. There was never a dull moment in this. It either had you laughing, craying, smiling, or on the edge of your seat. It was SO TRUE to the book. I mean, at least 60% of the script was literally word for word from the book, especially the first like 10 minutes. I'm just so in love with this film. - k1stpierre

Trivia: The first film with a top-billed female lead to top the annual box office since The Exorcist (1973).
  • Like 18

Wait, is that Sunshine domestic number right?  3 million total?

Wow, it is right.  Didn't realize how much that bombed here in the US.

Fox basically ignored it.  They only put it in about 400 theaters.

#15:

CLOUD ATLAS (2012) - 150 points

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."

cloud-atlas-wbp07-660x439.jpg

Directors: Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski

Premise: An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.

FgRHL8K.jpg

BOF user review: Cloud Atlas is so much more than a look at our souls as they take standing across time, but it is a saga of humanity, a story of the weak becoming strong, an epic anthology of our existence, and so on... The sum of Cloud Atlas's parts is huge, and yet the movie manages to be so much more. It doesn't even feel like a movie, as much as an incredible experience. Whether or not you think you'll like it, please see this movie. It may be one of the best movies that I have ever seen. - Spaghetti

Trivia: With a budget of over $100m, Cloud Atlas is one of the most expensive independent films to date.
  • Like 14

#14:

LOOPER (2012) - 153 points

"This time travel crap, just fries your brain like an egg."

pycljnvmlcetjhamcofx.jpg

Director: Rian Johnson

Premise: In 2074, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent into the past, where a hired gun awaits - someone like Joe - who one day learns the mob wants to 'close the loop' by sending back Joe's future self for assassination.

hQNM70B.jpg

BOF user review: Pretty terrific. Willis is back on my good side with this and Moonrise Kingdom. I'm sure it has plotholes, but that's pretty much unavoidable with anything involving time travel. The film is loaded with thrills and asks very difficult questions about the value of a single life. - tribefan695

Trivia: Emily Blunt revealed that she agreed to star in the movie after reading half of the script. She didn't even know what her character was.
  • Like 15

#13:

SNOWPIERCER (2013) - 160 points

"We control the engine, we control the world."

Snowpiercer-Le-Transperceneige-Photo-Chr

Director: Joon-ho Bong

Premise: Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges.

4k3GLUa.jpg

BOF user review: It's delieriously bleak and upsetting and yet this is a simultaneously witty, unexpected, and constantly inventive film. It aptly runs like a well oiled machine that's headed over a cliff. The political allegory isn't entirely revelatory but the script makes it FEEL revelatory to me. I've got literally nothing bad to say about it. Phenomenal score, ensemble (in a narrative where we actually have to meet Wilfred, Ed Harris is perfect casting), cinematography, editing, and most importantly direction. Expect to see this in my top 10 at the end of the year. It ain't going anywhere. - Gopher

Trivia: Joon-ho Bong had reservations about casting Chris Evans in the lead role because of his muscular physique. He felt that as a resident of the extremely poverty-stricken tail section, Curtis should not be especially physically fit. Costuming and careful camera angles kept Evans' physique from showing.
  • Like 13

#16:

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE (2013) - 146 points

"People are looking to you, Katniss. You've given them an opportunity."

The-Hunger-Games-Catching-Fire1-616x912.

Director: Francis Lawrence

Premise: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark become targets of the Capitol after their victory in the 74th Hunger Games sparks a rebellion in the Districts of Panem.

uQvvghN.jpg

BOF user review: OMG where to start with this film?! I mean, such a 180 to how I felt when I saw THG at midnight. After I saw THG at midnight, I was reallly confused about the film and didn't know how I felt. Whereas this one, I literally could not stop smiling or crying during this movie. It was so perfect. There was never a dull moment in this. It either had you laughing, craying, smiling, or on the edge of your seat. It was SO TRUE to the book. I mean, at least 60% of the script was literally word for word from the book, especially the first like 10 minutes. I'm just so in love with this film. - k1stpierre

Trivia: The first film with a top-billed female lead to top the annual box office since The Exorcist (1973).

Ick.

• Like 4

#12:

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011) - 164 points

"Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!"
"NO!"

rise_of_the_planet_of_the_apes_bridge_20

Director: Rupert Wyatt

Premise: A substance, designed to help the brain repair itself, gives rise to a super-intelligent chimp who leads an ape uprising.

Its premise is similar to the fourth film in the original series, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972), but it is not a direct remake of that film.

cQUnq4d.jpg

BOF user review: One of the best films of 2011.  The slow rise of the apes was fascinating to watch.  I also loved how they had Caesar gain the trust of all the apes, especially the giant dude in the cage.  And of course, for me, the scene that brought a lump to my throat was when Caesar said "NO."  This is the kind of film I wish was based in reality.  I'd love to see abused and mistreated animals rise up one day and turn the tables on their human oppressors. - baumer

Trivia: The jigsaw puzzle that Caesar has nearly completed is a depiction of Taylor and Nova from the original Planet of the Apes (1968), riding on a horse down the beach, just before coming upon the Statue of Liberty.
  • Like 16

Wait, is that Sunshine domestic number right?  3 million total?

Wow, it is right.  Didn't realize how much that bombed here in the US.

Sad but true.  Fox Searchlight was supposed to have a wide release for it but there was some behind the scenes brouhaha and some studio interference with the last act and then when it was finally released it was under marketed and sent to limited release maxing out at around 400 theaters.

#11:

DISTRICT 9 (2009) - 181 points

"Get your fokkin' tentacle out of my face!"

image.jpg

Director: Neill Blomkamp

Premise: An extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on Earth suddenly finds a kindred spirit in a government agent who is exposed to their biotechnology.

The story, adapted from Alive in Joburg, a 2005 short film directed by Blomkamp and produced by Sharlto Copley and Simon Hansen, depicts humanity, xenophobia, and social segregation. The title and premise of District 9 were inspired by events in District Six, Cape Town during the apartheid era.

BEniiF6.jpg

BOF user review: This is the best film of 2009 and ranks among the greatest science fiction films of all time. It paints a fierce portrait of racism, prejudice, and war while never becoming too preachy. It's thrilling, emotional, and thought-provoking. Plus, it features such a powerful leading performance and the last shot of the film is wonderful. - Noctis

Trivia: After the feature film based on the Halo video game series which was to be directed by Neill Blomkamp fell through, producer Peter Jackson went to Blomkamp and offered him $30 million to make whatever he wanted. The result was this film.

• Like 17