Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I think Catching Fire over-performed more than Mockingjay is underperforming. JLaw factor was huge late last year and it really helped both CF and American Hustle. Without JLaw's popularity the second movie may have done $370-380 and Mockingjay numbers would've been more in line with the previous two movies.

That could be a factor, but the books themselves have to be factors too. THG is one of the franchises where virtually the whole fanbase agrees on what the best book is (CF) and what the worst book is (MJ). And then of course there's the part 1 effect too and that terrible lack of marketing. But I still thought this could hit 400 given we had no real movie "event" the whole year. Guess that's just the year it is though.

On an aside, LOTR will remain the only franchise in history to have its first three movies increase in admission. Pretty cool achievement to have to itself. Though there could be a chance Toy Story has done it too, but it's almost impossible to tell without knowing an exact 3D share for its entire run.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums.

It will probably be more than a hour till we have Sat. estimates.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. :) I also got my first like on my first post here so basically I'm on a roll, right? :lol:

While waiting for the #, and I believe this topic might have been done to death here, I really wonder when/how did you realize you were more into the box office side of the movies rather than the actual films? So yeah, I was really bummed about it, when it first hit me that I enjoy looking up the numbers and analyzing/estimating b.o. more than watching movies. Or maybe I'm an exception and you're all avid moviegoers here. :ph34r:

Edited by theendsnotnearitshere