Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

Does that mean CA: TWS was saved by os numbers too?

I think that depends because CA did better than domestic expectations while DOFP simply met them.

Its all relative for how we think. 

Another film is Apes 2, making over 200 million domestic is a big hit but considering the last one made a lot as well, domestically it simply met expectations at most. However its overseas performance makes it into a mega hit. 

• Like 1

We've already surpassed a few early-80s years in tickets sold. They may have had some really good movies, but the 80s were actually pretty shitty for the business in general.

That's completely not true.  Budgets were puny compared to today and tickets were about $5.00 to movies.  

• Like 5

That's completely not true.  Budgets were puny compared to today and tickets were about $5.00 to movies.  

That doesn't really disprove my case. Budgets may be bigger, but the movies are also making more money (and selling more tickets).

Edited by tribefan695

I think that depends because CA did better than domestic expectations while DOFP simply met them.

Its all relative for how we think. 

Another film is Apes 2, making over 200 million domestic is a big hit but considering the last one made a lot as well, domestically it simply met expectations at most. However its overseas performance makes it into a mega hit. 

But not to the point they 'needed' saving. Studios are so confident on spending big budgets on these movies because they know they don't just rely on the domestic market anymore.

• Like 1

We've already surpassed a few early-80s years in tickets sold. They may have had some really good movies, but the 80s were actually pretty shitty for the business in general.

Give the 80s the population of today and all years except 1986 jump ahead of 2012.

Edited by lab276

OK, but put yourself in that year following box office at the time. kinda sucked.

Well unlike 2014, in 2006 you had the opening weekend go down after many years. 

Its performance over the summer was huge to.

Also was the film that really started the billion dollar trend WW. 

DMC in todays prices and 3d likely be over 1.3 billion I imagine. 

Even in 2014 we did not have one mega hit film to follow like that. 

Even in 2005 you had ROTS and Hp4 vs Narnia duel. 

Edited by Lordmandeep