CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

If Hobbit does somehow miraculously get to #1 can I please ask all the smug hunger games fans here to take pictures of their faces when they realize it's gonna happen and post them on the forum?

I accept your challenge. 

Man, I think all studios might be shitting their pants right now. First, we had a weak summer (although somewhat expected). Then, Interstellar opens lower than anyone thought possible and then MJ1 opens way, way, way lower than anyone in their wildest dreams thought possible. 

What the fuck is going on?

• Like 1

Personally this is what I think worked for the split are several of the characters and their arcs, I'm not going to say why but having a three hour movie, not that it would have been a bad thing, but long before seeing the movie I had always felt some of the biggest scenes coming up now for Part 2, the impact could be lost or even rushed to an extent if it was stuffed in all at once. They paced out Part 1 very well.

Man, I think all studios might be shitting their pants right now. First, we had a weak summer (although somewhat expected). Then, Interstellar opens lower than anyone thought possible and then MJ1 opens way, way, way lower than anyone in their wildest dreams thought possible. 

What the fuck is going on?

WB and Lionsgate are shitting their pants with the amounts of money those movies are making, you are damn right.

Paramount is probably cleaning real shit since Interstellar is kind of a flop for them. But they are still using the dollars Bay brought in for them during the Summer so they are also fine.

By the way guys, if this year is meant to signal that audiences are truly abandoning going to the movie theater, next year is going to be the most brutal thing ever as we watch some of the most hyped releases in years/ever get massacred in under-performance. I may need a defibrillator by next December.

• Like 3

Nah. I'm telling you, CGI Walker will get butts in seats.

The only people who cared about Paul Walker liked him for Fast and Furious. Those people are the ones watching Furious 7 regardless of how much Walker is in it. Really isn't going to make one bit of difference.

Hobbit , Hobbit, Hobbit

Oh yeah, duh. I'm really excited for it, dunno how I forgot it...

Edited by treeroy

Why is MJ1 underpeforming suddenly getting Hobbitsies all hard and erect that it's going to become the #1 film of the year?

It did $257m.

Even a 10% increase in admissions would only give it $283m.

don't think it will be number 1. Though depending on how MJ1 holds up I think it has a chance to beat that movie though. I think Battle of the Five Armies no doubt will get more interest than the last one and I think WB will bombard us with marketing in the last month. Also if it gets the best reviews of the three movies that can help massively as well. 

Edited by John Marston

I don't care which movie's going to win the domestic crown this year. I loved both GotG and Mockingjay. And I know that I'm going to love Hobbit as well :) All this drama between the fanbases is beyond ridiculous.

Ridiculous but highly entertaining.

I don't care which movie's going to win the domestic crown this year. I loved both GotG and Mockingjay. And I know that I'm going to love Hobbit as well :) All this drama between the fanbases is beyond ridiculous.

I don't really care, I love GOTG, haven't seen Mockingjay yet ( or Hobbit obviously) but if I'm rooting for one to win it's Hobbit, even if I actaully like the other two better it makes up for DoS bot winning last year.