Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

What stigma? Both DH1 and BD1 were incredibly consistent with their previous movies. MJ1 will be the first Part 1 to drop 100m DOM. :slaphead:

THG: M I dropping from the previous two is a given. Expecting it to perform like the first two or drop by just 20 M or so is a big mistake. The 'games' is one big reason why the first two did really, really well. The lack of that here plus the fact that it's probably the least favorite among the books, that the final book was split and that the end product isn't really great (though it is still good) have all affected its performance. 300 M or so is still a good number considering that only one other film has passed that mark this year. But of course, it's no doubt low if you compare it with the previous two movies. Lionsgate doesn't really care of course, because this plus the next one could have a combined gross of 1.7B - 1.9B worldwide.

• Like 2

Next weekend will be even MORE boring. Just one movie out, and that movie will only be at 550 theaters. :sick:

December could be extremely boring until Xmas, unless the Hobbit does do significantly better than its predecessors. I still think Annie is a potential big breakout too.

• Like 1

forg, on 30 Nov 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

Pretty boring Thanksgiving weekend box office :( What more next week

weekend after Thanksgiving is usually one of the worst every year

weak ass openers usually and despite that most films still usually get hefty drops

And even MJ1 is doing worse than anticipated, it's not a flop at all. TF4 fell more from TF3 than what MJ1 will fall from CF and nobody call TF4 a flop. HB2 is a flop

TF4 was a kind of reboot, so nobody really expected much continuity and it made more money in China than Mockinjay will make in in the USA.

MovieMan89, on 30 Nov 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

December could be extremely boring until Xmas, unless the Hobbit does do significantly better than its predecessors. I still think Annie is a potential big breakout too.

Annie should have a decent opening.

Don't sleep on Exodus either. It's certainly not locked, but for now a 40M OW is still a possibility.

THG: M I dropping from the previous two is a given. Expecting it to perform like the first two or drop by just 20 M or so is a big mistake. The 'games' is one big reason why the first two did really, really well. The lack of that here plus the fact that it's probably the least favorite among the books, that the final book was split and that the end product isn't really great (though it is still good) have all affected its performance. 300 M or so is still a good number considering that only one other film has passed that mark this year. But of course, it's no doubt low if you compare it with the previous two movies. Lionsgate doesn't really care of course, because this plus the next one could have a combined gross of 1.7B - 1.9B worldwide.

HP7.1 was the first HP that did not really play in Hogwards but it only decreased by 2%, while MJ1 decreased by 24% that is Star Wars territory (Attack of the Clones the penultimate there decreased by 30%, because people hated Phantom Menace so much). Do people hate Hunger Games?

• Like 1

Watched both Into The Storm and Hercules tonight. Neither were all that good, but neither were awful.

Into The Storm just had zero redeeming or interesting qualities. No interesting characters, not much in the way of dramatic scenes or action setpieces. They basically just crafted some cool tornado special effects shots and tried to throw a movie around them. The movie simply existed. Not good enough to be good, and not bad enough to be outrageous, save for about 2-3 scenes that were worth a laugh.

Hercules was a bit more interesting. It had a few entertaining characters, and at least there was an actual story to go with all the cool shots and effects they worked on. It still left a lot to be desired, but it wasn't the worst movie I saw today. That said, the characters that weren't entertaining, weren't . . . entertaining. But at least there were a few decent ideas behind the story. It sure didn't shy away from the cliches though. Perhaps not perfect execution, but at least this film gave it a shot.

• Like 2

HP7.1 was the first HP that did not really play in Hogwards but it only decreased by 2%, while MJ1 decreased by 24% that is Star Wars territory (Attack of the Clones the penultimate there decreased by 30%, because people hated Phantom Menace so much). Do people hate Hunger Games?

The thing is, 'magic' never left DH I. THG: M I on the other hand didn't have the games. It's all politics, a lot of talk, and some action. Don't get me wrong though because I enjoyed the movie.

• Like 2

Too many kids movies are going to be in theaters over the last 5 weeks of this year.  Big Hero 6?  Penguins of Madagascar?  Night at the Museum 3?  Annie?  Into The Woods?  The Hobbit? Those movies are awesome if you are 10 years old, but what about adult moviegoers who want something thoughtful?  Gone Girl will be the only adult drama this year in the top 25 at the box office.  What happened to making movies like Captain Phillips, Argo, Blood Diamond, Michael Clayton, Lincoln, etc.?  The adult stuff in the fall this year is now low budget indie fare showing on only 1,000 screens.  Terrifying trend.  We basically have to wait 10 months to finally get a glimpse at adult-oriented stories, and now that that time is here we barely get any.

Too many kids movies are going to be in theaters over the last 5 weeks of this year.  Big Hero 6?  Penguins of Madagascar?  Night at the Museum 3?  Annie?  Into The Woods?  The Hobbit? Those movies are awesome if you are 10 years old, but what about adult moviegoers who want something thoughtful?  Gone Girl will be the only adult drama this year in the top 25 at the box office.  What happened to making movies like Captain Phillips, Argo, Blood Diamond, Michael Clayton, Lincoln, etc.?  The adult stuff in the fall this year is now low budget indie fare showing on only 1,000 screens.  Terrifying trend.  We basically have to wait 10 months to finally get a glimpse at adult-oriented stories, and now that that time is here we barely get any.

The Hobbit is a kids movie? Give me a break.