A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

I didn't want to do a WWW post for How to Train Your Dragon 2 since its OW while disappointing is still high for an animated film but I do notice that Dreamworks Animation has been in decline since Rise of the Guardians and while they've had one hit in The Croods, they've had to take write-offs for three of the last four films released and I wonder how a company that was riding high with Shrek  2 10 years ago has declined in only two years? 

The only reason I can think of is that the animation market have become oversaturated and for films to be hits, they need to stand out and has been the case for Frozen and The Lego Movie whereas Dreamworks Animation hasn't stepped up their game with their films. Looking at Home and to a lesser extent, it appears DWA hasn't really attempted to shake things up aside from maybe making their films less expensive. 

Dreamworks Animation has produced some great films but I think they need to rethink the 3 films a year strategy and to stop having a franchise mentality for every film. 

• Like 1

I didn't want to do a WWW post for How to Train Your Dragon 2 since its OW while disappointing is still high for an animated film but I do notice that Dreamworks Animation has been in decline since Rise of the Guardians and while they've had one hit in The Croods, they've had to take write-offs for three of the last four films released and I wonder how a company that was riding high with Shrek  2 10 years ago has declined in only two years? 

The only reason I can think of is that the animation market have become oversaturated and for films to be hits, they need to stand out and has been the case for Frozen and The Lego Movie whereas Dreamworks Animation hasn't stepped up their game with their films. Looking at Home and to a lesser extent, it appears DWA hasn't really attempted to shake things up aside from maybe making their films less expensive. 

Dreamworks Animation has produced some great films but I think they need to rethink the 3 films a year strategy and to stop having a franchise mentality for every film. 

They are also releasing a lot of animated films, themselves saturating the market.

Last 4 years(2011-2014) they released 8 films - 2 every year (KFP2 & PiB '11, M3 & RoG '12, Turbo & Croods '13, PaS & HTTYD2 '14) http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?view=main&id=dwanimation.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

Pixar has 3 in the same period (Cars 2 '11, Brave '12, MU '13).

WDA has 3 (WiR '11, Frozen '13, BH6 '14).

If Pixar or WDA had 8 films from 2011-2014 I don't see consistency for them too.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Way, way too much.

Yeah, in comparison, here's WDAS:

Big Hero 6 BV 11/7/14
Untitled Disney Animation (2016) BV 3/4/16
Untitled Disney Animation (Nov. 2016) BV 11/23/16
Untitled Disney Animation (2018) BV 3/9/18
Untitled Disney Animation (Nov. 2018) BV 11/21/18

One a year. That's a good amount for a studio.

Here's Pixar:

Inside Out BV 6/19/15
The Good Dinosaur BV 11/25/15
Finding Dory BV 6/17/16
Untitled Pixar Animation (2017) BV 6/16/17
Untitled Pixar Animation (Nov. 2017) BV 11/22/17
Untitled Pixar Animation (2018) BV 6/15/18

I tend to view this as too aggressive.

Here's Blue Sky:

Untitled Peanuts Movie Fox 11/6/15
Ice Age 5 Fox 7/15/16
Anubis Fox 3/23/18

That's very light. I wonder if they're going to slot something else in. But I've also heard that Chris Wedge is going to direct something for another studio, so maybe Blue Sky and Fox are scaling back to give more room to DWA?

And here's Illumination:

Minions Uni. 7/10/15
The Untitled Pets Project Uni. 2/12/16
Untitled Illumination Entertainment (2016) Uni. 12/21/16
Despicable Me 3 Uni. 6/30/17
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2017) Uni. 11/17/17

While it's on pause this year, that's getting to Pixar levels of aggressiveness.

And we know that Paramount and WB are ramping up animation studios of their own, too. Pretty much everyone outside of Blue Sky is either pushing things super aggressively or is already at a saturation point. When you add in the smaller production houses, it looks even worse to slot things in.

This is probably only going to hurt everyone in the future. DWA could drop a film a year from their slate and Pixar could pull back to one film a year, and that alone would probably free up a lot of dollars and audience interest.

DWA could also abandon trying to do non-film projects. I hadn't considered that the HTTYD TV series might be a detriment to movie interest.

• Like 4

Don't forget Sony releases 1-2 films a year as well, there's nothing this year but they've got 1 in 2015 and 2 in 2016, 3 if you include Angry Birds.

Blue Sky have Ferdinand for April 2017

Yeah, I forgot SPA. Here they are:

Popeye (2015) Sony 2015
Hotel Transylvania 2 Sony 9/25/15
Untitled Smurfs Movie Sony 8/5/16
SPA TBA (2016) Sony 9/23/16
SPA TBA (2017) Sony 9/22/17

(Angry Birds doesn't seem to be from the SPA studio, I guess? Kinda like how Book of Life isn't DWA or Blue Sky, but it is Fox.)

Dreamworks is easily the most aggressive, with 3 films a year for the forseeable future. SPA, Illumination, and PIxar all seem to be hitting 1.5-2 films a year starting in 2015. WDAS averages 1 a year, but is on a wonky schedule thanks to the Pixar shakeup that put The Good Dinosaur in 2015. (Combine the 2 studios and they're hitting 2.5 a year, which seems a bit heavy.)

If most studios dropped back to 1 film a year, and DWA even just dropped to 2, it would ease a lot of the stress.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

As a sidenote, on the topic of its financial disappointment at the box office, I think the series playing over Cartoon Network, is underrated as a reason as to why. If a series has been running for two years, and stars all the characters of the movie, I'd think the anticipation level would plummet. I don't watch the series, but I'm sure many do/know about it in the US. Seems to me a surefire way to kill any box office potential, especially opening weekend. The more you dilute the brand, the less people are going to respond. I don't know how good or bad the series is but it must be extremely difficult to keep the quality over 40 episodes that could possibly be equal to the two movies. Mark my words, it will affect Penguins, Croods and everything else they want to or have turned into TV.

Posted that in the HTTYD2 thread. Applicable here, because the TV series are pervasive. Pretty dumb idea to me.

Also, I'm a major fan of animation but with those kind of slates and scheduling, seems like overkill. At least the good ones will hopefully stand out. I've already been avoiding bad ones for years now ever since everyone joined in the act and quality nosedived.

• Like 1

There are way too many fucking animated movies. That's what's wrong with not only Dreamworks (though it hurts them especially since they have the most coming out), it hurts everyone. Even Disney and Pixar. 

The market is over-saturated, which means that studios are just going to have to work with sharing the audience until all the weaker companies have been weened out.

• Like 1

There is no easy solution to the problem. Cutting back on production may mean greater box office hauls for the films they do release, but it's also a blow to the artistic notions they do have. I hate to see an ambitious production getting shoved aside due to budget concerns.

• Like 1