A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

Wall Streets POM domestic expectation was $175 million. Apparently, its only gonna make $80-$95 million domestic. The farther the international numbers are from $350, the bigger the write down. Its looking like $250-$270 million international. One thing hurting them is their investors ridiculously impossible expectations.  Puss In Boots made $149 not $175 million... I mean these investors really don't do the proper research. 

• Like 3

How bad is Home looking? Turbo made $282 million total on $135 budget while Mr. Peabody made $272 million on a $145 budget. Turbo lost $13.5 million and Mr. Peabody lost $57 million. That was a result of investors bailing on them and a slightly higher budget as well. Penguins will definitely lose more money then Turbo because of the movies extremely ridiculous expectations. That means Penguins will have a far nastier impact on Home's investors then Turbo did on Mr P&S. Another thing added to the impact is Penguins is 4 months before Home. Mr. P&S was 8 months after they released Turbo. Last thing is that theres no HTTYD2 shortly after to replenish profits. They will have to wait until February 2016 to reap the KFP3 profits. 

Edited by zombietj101
  • Like 1

Well, I guess not everything went wrong:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/dreamworks-animation-sells-stake-in-awesomenesstv/?_r=1

So Katzenberg still can make a deal when he has to. This should make up for whatever Penguins of Madagascar might lose, so this quarter and DWA itself are hardly sunk just yet, although I think that they'll need a lot more to make it through the next couple of years, let alone how long they will likely have to wait for their next mega-hit.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/dreamworks-animation-sells-stake-in-awesomenesstv/?_r=1

So Katzenberg still can make a deal when he has to. This should make up for whatever Penguins of Madagascar might lose, so this quarter and DWA itself are hardly sunk just yet, although I think that they'll need a lot more to make it through the next couple of years, let alone how long they will likely have to wait for their next mega-hit.

With only one film currently in 2015, they'll need to make more deals as Home is likely to be a writeoff as well. I guess the back catalogue must make some money as they've written off three of their last films. 

I wouldn't be surprised if DWA ends up being sold next year, it's more a question of when not if.

• Like 1

With only one film currently in 2015, they'll need to make more deals as Home is likely to be a writeoff as well. I guess the back catalogue must make some money as they've written off three of their last films. 

I wouldn't be surprised if DWA ends up being sold next year, it's more a question of when not if.

Maybe this is the beginning of a possible Hearst deal to buy DWA...

• Like 1

Spielbergs DreamWorks studios are so embarrassed of the negative press surround DWA, they're gonna rebrand and change their names.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/14/spielbergs-dreamworks-studios-may-dream-up-a-new-name/

Dreamworks Animation owns the trademark to the Dreamworks name and SKG licenses the name from them. Probably will save money if they rebrand

Edited by Jonwo

Of course they would say that.

do you know what "insider" means?

they wouldn't say that if it wasn't true.

Insiders say there’s no truth to the gossip and that there’s no plan for a name change.

DreamWorks Studios’ officials declined comment

Edited by Goffe Ascending

DreamWorks Animation Names Bonnie Arnold, Mireille Soria Co-Presidents of Feature Animation

After a string of disappointing releases at the box office, DreamWorks Animation has named Bonnie Arnold and Mireille Soria co-presidents of feature animation, the toon studio announced Sunday.

Bill Damaschke will step down as chief creative officer, as part of the move.

Arnold and Soria were the lead producers behind the “How to Train Your Dragon” and “Madagascar” fanchises.

At the moment, those are two of DWA’s most reliable moneymakers, after being forced to take writedowns on the poor performance of its films. It took an $87 million loss on “Rise of the Guardians,” a $13.5 million hit on “Turbo” and $57 million writedown on “Mr. Peabody & Sherman.”

“Three of our last four films have not delivered in terms of audience turnout or financial performance,” Katzenberg told analysts in April 2014, before “The Penguins of Madagascar” also underperformed in the latter part of the year.

Full article here:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/dreamworks-animation-names-bonnie-arnold-mireille-soria-co-presidents-of-feature-animation-1201392307/

• Like 1

Bonnie Arnold getting placed in a higher position of power at DWA is still good. If they want to turn things around, they need more films of quality like Dragon. Yes, that underperformed domestically, but they still need an identity that doesn't involve juvenile potty humor and wall-to-wall snark, and putting the producer of HTTYD1+2 and the original Toy Story in a position like this would be a good first step in moving toward a more sincere and earnest identity.

The producer of Madagascar being co-president, that's not as heartening. I think DWA needs to get away from the kind of comedy films they've done in the past if they want to see successes again. They can't keep trying to catch that Shrek/Madagascar brass ring, those days are over and that's not what audiences want anymore.

I think Bonnie Arnold as sole president, and Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois and Jennifer Yuh-Nelson as the creative brain trust, could turn DreamWorks around the way Catmull/Lasseter turned WDAS around. Also give Brenda Chapman her directorial job, she's at DWA and she has a project she wants to make, but it has never been greenlit.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

Katzenberg IS DWA, he can't give himself the boot. He either has to voluntarily resign, sell the company on acceptable terms that don't involve him staying in power and then resign, or the shareholders have to revolt and throw him out like the Disney shareholders did to Michael Eisner.

If someone in the future wants to buy DWA but has a condition that Katzenberg has to go, couldn't the shareholders theoretically approve such a takeover over Katzenberg's objections if they have enough votes?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

They will likely have to take write downs on POM and Home as well. That's 5 out of the last 6. Geez, no wonder they're in such trouble. At least they did wake up and realize they were sending KFP3 to the slaughterhouse in that Xmas 2015 release spot. It has an infinitely better chance of being a nice money-maker for them in its new March '16 spot.

They will likely have to take write downs on POM and Home as well. That's 5 out of the last 6. Geez, no wonder they're in such trouble. At least they did wake up and realize they were sending KFP3 to the slaughterhouse in that Xmas 2015 release spot. It has an infinitely better chance of being a nice money-maker for them in its new March '16 spot.

Forgot Home was their next release. Looks unbelievably awful, and I have no idea why they would think it would appeal to kids. What a terrible last few years for them. Murphy's law in action

• Like 1