grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

2 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Fuck it might as well get yelled at endlessly for my list.  Top 10 

1) Jurassic Park

2) Jaws

3) Raiders of The Lost Ark

4) Schindler's List 

5) Temple of Doom

6) The Last Crusade

7) Saving Private Ryan

8) Catch Me if you Can

9) ET
10) The Lost World (here comes another 10 pages of people tagging me to bash this movie haha) 

WHERE JURASSIC PARK 3 THO?!?!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

War of the Worlds was the most disappointing movie of its respective year for me. Great visuals, very eh storytelling (and awful ending). And I just wanted the aliens to zap Dakota Fanning's annoying character into oblivion.

War of the Worlds is a great oppressively dark thrill ride with timeless visuals. In contains some of Spielberg's best directing ever, only SPR showcases his action chops better.

2005 was a great double whammy for Spielberg, because War of the Worlds was his darkest blockbuster, and Munich was his most unsentimental drama.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I love War of the world remake of The Searchers ending (Cruise character is a lot Ethan in this), it is sad that movie loose steam in that basement.

I find the basement scene to be very intense, it's literally the last two minutes where the film fumbles a little with the cheap reunion with the son (which is taken from the book in a way, but it didn't work in the film).

Other than that, I really don't have any issues with WOTW. I consider it to be on about the same level as JP.

Edited by HockeyPads

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

War of the Worlds was the most disappointing movie of its respective year for me. Great visuals, very eh storytelling (and awful ending). And I just wanted the aliens to zap Dakota Fanning's annoying character into oblivion.

I'd like Cruise and Spielberg to do another film together but maybe a drama rather than a blockbister

1 minute ago, HockeyPads said:

War of the Worlds is a great oppressively dark thrill ride with timeless visuals. In contains some of Spielberg's best directing ever, only SPR showcases his action chops better.

2005 was a great double whammy for Spielberg, because War of the Worlds was his darkest blockbuster, and Munich was his most unsentimental drama.

2002 was unusual in that the blockbuster, Minority Report was quite dark and Catch Me if You Can was very fun.

25 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

War of the Worlds is great, besides the son subplot which I hated tbh.

The sounds of the alien tripods were terrifying.

AI I haven't seen it in over a decade, don't remember it much. 

I was always lukewarm on War of the Worlds. Yes it's excellently directed as usual but I hate the script. Hate it. All the characters are unlikable assholes. Then again I've never been a huge fan of traditional alien invasion disaster movies. 

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ready-player-sxsw-steven-spielberg-social-media-beats-baby-driver-1202336598/

Coming away from the Baby Driver world premiere here last year, RelishMix reported that #BabyDriver hashtags surged to 3,7K in the 24-hour period following its world premiere at SXSW.

Well, how did #ReadyPlayerOne do?

Over the last week, the pic’s hashtags were ranging from 250 to 2,5K per day and building. However, since the Ready Player One world premiere last night at the Paramount theater, hashtags have exploded to an amazing 19,3K. That’s what happens when you bring Steven Spielberg to town.

Separately Spredfast Social Analytics is reporting a Twitter increase in chatter for the Village Roadshow/Amblin pic of +94% with a reach of 106M from close to 10K posts during the 12 hour period following the premiere. Both “Ready Player One” and “Steven Spielberg” trended in Austin last night.

Certified entertainment journos here have been singing their praises on Twitter about the pic which currently has a 75% fresh Rotten Tomatoes score (that’s only from 15 reviews; it’s still early, but a good start).

We’re still 17 days away from the opening of Ready Player One on March 29. Tracking is quite wild for this pic at this point with various agencies seeing between $36M-$42M over four-days with a shot of the Spielberg pic opening to $66M-plus.

LMAO at the tracking :hahaha: 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

LMAO at the tracking

Maybe it is the best they could find for the similar festival, but using an 100% original movie 45m movie like Baby Driver with an under 35 million world global opening as a comparable is a bit strange for a Spielberg giant budget movie with a long running marketing campaign and adapted best seller adaptation.

I mean that movie regular twitter volume before anyone had seen it was already close to what Baby Driver festival premiere reaction peak according to the article.... Does not tell us much if that 19K is good or bad.

Edited by Barnack

"Tracking is quite wild for this pic at this point with various agencies seeing between $36M-$42M over four-days with a shot of the Spielberg pic opening to $66M-plus."

Yep, that sounds like typical deadline tracking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

"Tracking is quite wild for this pic at this point with various agencies seeing between $36M-$42M over four-days with a shot of the Spielberg pic opening to $66M-plus."

Yep, that sounds like typical deadline tracking. 

Wider the range, Lesser we’ll miss!