Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Is that surprising? Isn't that how Ridley cast the first one?

"Mmkay let's see, who are all these dang kids twittering about"

Noomi Rapace has been in nothing of note since her 2 big roles in Sherlock Holmes 2 and Prometheus. She was supposed to the next big thing once Hollywood had decided that Olivia Wilde was no longer the next big thing.

Prometheus probably had the best viral marketing for any movie. The Ted talk, the leaked emails, the encoded messages etc. really did help build up anticipation.

Noomi Rapace has been in nothing of note since her 2 big roles in Sherlock Holmes 2 and Prometheus. She was supposed to the next big thing once Hollywood had decided that Olivia Wilde was no longer the next big thing.

Prometheus probably had the best viral marketing for any movie. The Ted talk, the leaked emails, the encoded messages etc. really did help build up anticipation.

Prometheus opened big because fans were waiting for the xenomorphs to pop out anytime on the screen...

Imagine the disappointment. Hence: Alien 5. Judging by the hardware on display from Blomkamp's previous films,

Alien 5 will be chockfull of Space Marines action.

Edited by zackzack

Blomkamp thinks he's the new Verhoeven with his attempts at "satiristical social commentary" coming from a frat dudebro but he's just the Afrikaner's Zach Snyder at the core gleefully blowing shit up in slomo because it looks cool and awesome. He's a one trick pony (His schtick of making a sleek VFX showcase against real shanty backgrounds as a shallow canvas to his simplistic and trite "poor chaps vs nasty rich corporates" narrative that sounds hollow because he got nothing relevant to say. It's just a cartoony pretext for his hardcore gamer sensibility). I smelled the bullshit that he was all style/no substance ever since D9.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 7

Blomkamp thinks he's the new Verhoeven with his attempts at "satiristical social commentary" coming from a frat dudebro but he's just the Afrikaner's Zach Snyder at the core gleefully blowing shit up in slomo because it looks cool and awesome. He's a one trick pony (His schtick of making a sleek VFX showcase against real shanty backgrounds as a shallow canvas to his simplistic and trite "poor chaps vs nasty rich corporates" narrative that sounds hollow because he got nothing relevant to say. It's just a cartoony pretext for his hardcore gamer sensibility). I smelled the bullshit that he was all style/no substance ever since D9.
BOOOOM

I don't get all the Blomkamp hate, I'm actually more excited for Alien 5 and I liked Prometheus

I'm intrigued by Alien 5, but I really have no idea how you make a Ripley story sequel work unless you flat out disregard 3 & 4. I just don't understand what they have in mind.

Honestly, I don't mind if they do that...that's some interesting sequeling I can't think any major franchise has ever done really.

#RebeccaFerguson Being Eyed For #RidleyScott's @PrometheusMovie Sequel

http://t.co/pINxw3YJUD pic.twitter.com/m9cn8Vctas— ComicBookMovie.com (@ComicBook_Movie) October 14, 2015

Even though I'm tired of this Alien/not Alien prequel crap, I'd see it just for her. :)

It's a shame too. D9 was a really good movie until the second half devolves into exactly what you're talking about. Completely abandons the most interesting aspects of the film to make a lot of things blow up (though, boy, it does look cool).

It's a shame too. D9 was a really good movie until the second half devolves into exactly what you're talking about. Completely abandons the most interesting aspects of the film to make a lot of things blow up (though, boy, it does look cool).

It was a cynical marketing ploy trying to pass as a serious and subtle attempt at parabole like Children Of Men filmed like a Paul Greengrass docudrama but then quickly vanish to reveal his real goal to make a big dumb popcorny shoot-em up action romp recycling his Halo project treating its subject like crass with the subtlety of a jackhammer.(Every characters turn into a bloody caricature and stereotypes)

Edited by MADash Rendar

It was a cynical marketing ploy ...

No, c'mon, man. It was a geek having fun with the characters and creatures and weapons he designed. He likes Verhoeven, sure... but I don't think he thinks he is him (or the next generation of him). He's a pretty down-to-earth guy and he's admitted that he gets all caught up in the production design and look of his movies and needs to work on making sure his characters are sound and the story beats are all there.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

No, c'mon, man. It was a geek having fun with the characters and creatures and weapons he designed. He likes Verhoeven, sure... but I don't think he thinks he is him (or the next generation of him). He's a pretty down-to-earth guy and he's admitted that he gets all caught up in the production design and look of his movies and needs to work on making sure his characters are sound and the story beats are all there.

He was "having fun" by shooting his geek wankfest in real ghettos where real poor people strive using cheap Apartheid analogies and crass caricatures while surfing on Greengrass coattails of docudrama cinematography in order to look gritty and serious but that was all it was, a poseur gimmick because that's not where his true interest lied. I smelled the surface-level bullshit when the whole movie is shot documentary style even when it makes no sense diegetically wise once it all turned into Bad Boys 2. His idea of fun is squandering his "Alive In Joburg" short potential into a big generic Hollywoodian action romp. "Having fun"...The guy is at best an opportunistic visualist that likes to make cool and sleek VFX reels surfing on a trend and worn-out dystopic scifi trope to give them a superficial sheen of thematic depth that reeks on shallow and hollow instead of clever and relevant like it certainly wanted to be perceived. The sum doesn't lend to deep analysis and doesn't hold up under scrutiny like Verhoeven's movies. It was sold as that brilliant dystopic parabole on xenophobia hiding a really simplistic and low brow B-movie. Sorry, that's what I call a marketing ploy to lure people into seeing a movie it is not.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

I wish I was as eloquent as Dash but people should stop putting District 9 on a pedestal.

His social commentary was always on the the nose & simplistic, I don't mind it but it was there on his first film.

He s a total bro/gamer/millenial, wishing he was 80's/90's Verhoeven & Captain Jim.

But I like his movies, Chappie being my favorite.

• Like 1

his last 2 movies are pretty much indigestible, too heavy-handed to pass for an simple sci-fi action romp and too simplistic (or dumb, like I like to say) to pass for a serious movie.

D9 was great, though.

Edited by Goffe