Gopher

READ THE NOMINEES FOR THE 2015 BOX OFFICE AWARDS!

The LEGO Movie and Marvel for BP?

tumblr_inline_nc98dnDxP51rgo7hu.gif

What's wrong with LEGO Movie?  :wacko:

It deserves a BP nod over Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Sniper, Into the Woods and other Oscar bait. It's easily the most original and inventive major blockbuster of this year - and honestly the most fun I had with any film this year. It deserves its spot in a list of 10 nominees. GotG is pretty inventive, too. It also deserves some recognition. 

I would be more upset with Interstellar getting a BP nod than GotG or LEGO. At least those two got critical acclaim. Interstellar had relatively mixed/middling reception. 

Cap 2 doesn't deserve a BP nod, though. It would be 13th or 14th on my list of potential BP nods. 

If I had submitted a ballot (got distracted by school ,work, etc):

1. The LEGO Movie
  2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  3. Boyhood
  4. Birdman
  5. Selma 
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Gone Girl 
  8. Whiplash
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel 
  10. The Fault in Our Stars/Edge of Tomorrow (would be happy with either) 

I don't get the hate for LEGO, though. Easily has more critical acclaim than every major Oscar nominee except Birdman and Boyhood. 

• Like 1

For the record:

BEST PICTURE (10)

Calvary

Force Majeure

Foxcatcher

God Help The Girl

Jodorowsky's Dune

Inherent Vice

Nightcrawler

Noah

Only Lovers Left Alive

Two Days, One Night

Citizenfour would be in over Nightcrawler but I saw it literally hours after I voted.

Vice, Calvary and Nightcrawler came very very close. Cap just had one more #1 vote that put it over the top.

Vice, Calvary and Nightcrawler came very very close. Cap just had one more #1 vote that put it over the top.

I think that is where the problem happened. Some people sent in ballots in alphabetical order instead if ranked. It was never stated we had to rank our noms.

I did, but I think some didn't.

• Like 3

I think that is where the problem happened. Some people sent in ballots in alphabetical order instead if ranked. It was never stated we had to rank our noms.

I did, but I think some didn't.

Precisely. Mine weren't ranked for any category. I just wrote them down as they came to me.

• Like 1

Were these supposed to be ranked?  I listed all my votes alphabetically.

Still, I voted for Cap and Vice.  4 /10 of mine for Best Pic. - Cap, GBH, Birdman and Selma

I wish Vice had made it (I nominated it for I think seven categories)  Though I voted for Russo I disliked Nightcrawler so I'm not sorry it was bumped out of the top 10.

I'm disappointed but not surprised to see Pride didn't even make Best Comedy when it was also one of my Best Pic Noms.  But happy for the noms for Snowpiercer, Ida and cinematography and score for Under Her Skin.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

What's wrong with LEGO Movie?  :wacko:

It deserves a BP nod over Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Sniper, Into the Woods and other Oscar bait. It's easily the most original and inventive major blockbuster of this year - and honestly the most fun I had with any film this year. It deserves its spot in a list of 10 nominees. GotG is pretty inventive, too. It also deserves some recognition. 

I would be more upset with Interstellar getting a BP nod than GotG or LEGO. At least those two got critical acclaim. Interstellar had relatively mixed/middling reception. 

Cap 2 doesn't deserve a BP nod, though. It would be 13th or 14th on my list of potential BP nods. 

If I had submitted a ballot (got distracted by school ,work, etc):

1. The LEGO Movie
  2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  3. Boyhood
  4. Birdman
  5. Selma 
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Gone Girl 
  8. Whiplash
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel 
  10. The Fault in Our Stars/Edge of Tomorrow (would be happy with either) 

I don't get the hate for LEGO, though. Easily has more critical acclaim than every major Oscar nominee except Birdman and Boyhood. 

tumblr_inline_nhfr51M2K91t6vpn5.gif

• Like 1