grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

Number 18

American Sniper – 68 points, appears on 9 lists, #1 on 2 lists

EAA0bYE.png

gEaZywg.png

American Sniper is on its way to set records, be the #1 movie of 2014 and challenge “Passion of the Christ” for highest grossing R-rated movie of all time. It is also generating heated debates regarding the politics of the movie as well as Chris Kyle’s real life heroics. I found the movie to be pretty entertaining and on an IMAX screen, the war scenes really stand out. I felt the movie could have gone into his PTSD more than it did, and the episodic nature while lending itself to telling a single story did slow things down and didn’t let us get a clear idea of him as a family man. Bradley Cooper was really good in the movie. Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper teamed together to give us a movie you either love or hate, but it’s run cannot be ignored. Even fake baby agrees.

AwkjIYI.gif

Boxoffice: 227M Domestic / 275M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

It is quite traditional story telling at first.  You have  a man raised in a quite a conservative setting, who is very patriotic. Then sees his country under attack and responds to the call and wages war.

Starts the war with him being a hero and wanting to make a difference. However the movie then takes a more modern approach when the patriot sees the war play out (sort of like at first many were gleefully beating the War Drums to Baghdad and then public opinions changed). He tries to stick the old ways but everyone else around him isn't and grows disillusioned.

So it seems to be at first a very pro war film but its actually sort of anti war film.

B+” – LordMandeep

An intense and effective examination of Chris Kyle, American Sniper avoids both politics and picking a side on war and instead looks at the man caught in the battle. The embellishments that have been made to make Kyle's story feel more "cinematic" work for the film, and it never once becomes preachy. The film's biggest strength is Bradley Cooper, giving what is easily his best performance yet (and I've been a big fan of his for years). It's a fully-realized performance that makes us understand Kyle's actions. The only other person in the cast of importance is Sienna Miller, who brings life to what could've been a thankless supportive-but-distanced wife part. Some of the pacing in the middle could've been strengthened while some sections could've been fleshed out a bit, which are really my only complaints about the film. This is easily Clint Eastwood's best movie since Million Dollar Baby, and is also one of the better war movies of the last several years altogether. A must-see just for Cooper's excellent performance alone. A-” – Filmlover

• Like 5

After that barrage of 6 movies, here are the movies which are at the extreme bottom of the list of movies received, these movies received at least 1 vote in the "Best movies of the year" list.

Wish I Was Here

What If

300: Rise of an Empire

Oculus

Paddington

We Are The Best

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

The Other Woman

Blended

Hercules

Proxy

The Trip To Italy

Rich Hall

Art and Craft

The Grand Seduction

Non-Stop

3 days to kill

A Most Wanted Man

Life Itself

As Above, So Below

Into the Storm

Horrible Bosses 2

Sex Tape

The Hundred Foot Journey

That Awkward Moment

Wild tales

Magic in the moonlight

Laggies

The Lunchbox

Men, Women and Children

Out of that list the only one I voted for was Horrible Bosses 2. It was the funniest movie I saw last year. :ph34r:
  • Like 1

Some more movies which got at least one vote for "Best movies of 2014"

Penguins of Madagascar

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE

Blue Ruin

The Dance of Reality

Predestination

Nymphomaniac

GOD HELP THE GIRL

Dracula Untold

This Is Where I Leave You

Vampire Academy

TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT

Stranger by the Lake

Virunga

The Book of Life

The Rover

RoboCop

Need for Speed

I, Frankenstein

Maleficent

Edited by grim22

Penguins of Madagascar

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE

Blue Ruin

The Dance of Reality

Predestination

Nymphomaniac

GOD HELP THE GIRL

Dracula Untold

Vampire Academy

TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT

Stranger by the Lake

Virunga

The Book of Life

The Rover

RoboCop

Need for Speed

I, Frankenstein

Maleficent

What is wrong with you people?

• Like 6

Penguins of Madagascar

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE

Blue Ruin

The Dance of Reality

Predestination

Nymphomaniac

GOD HELP THE GIRL

Dracula Untold

Vampire Academy

TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT

Stranger by the Lake

Virunga

The Book of Life

The Rover

RoboCop

Need for Speed

I, Frankenstein

Maleficent

Two Days, One Night was #2 on my list. Disappointed it didn't make the list, but not surprised since not many on here have seen it.

I, Frankenstein?

Maleficent?

:WHATanabe:

The arrogance of posters is thinking the awful movies in the world are in their control...when it is the other way around.

Let them troll.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 5