Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers (Jan 2-4)

MJ1 had no marketing (worth a damn), is a part 1, and was an extremely unorthodox blockbuster that outright lacked any action. Yet it's having the best legs of the franchise. That alone tells me the interest is not gone at all, and the franchise will be back in full swing for MJ2 next year. There will be marketing this time. There will be action to market. There will be a final factor. And most of all there will be goodwill from three movies in a row that have been very well received by the GA. 400 is absolutely happening. Above or below CF is the real question.

No marketing? Lol

No marketing? Lol

There was zero marketing in Colorado, I can tell you that for an unequivocal fact. Not posters in the local theaters, not trailers attached to any of the movies,not tv spots (which obviously would be on a nation-wide level). It was not present here. At all.

There was zero marketing in Colorado, I can tell you that for an unequivocal fact. Not posters in the local theaters, not trailers attached to any of the movies,not tv spots (which obviously would be on a nation-wide level). It was not present here. At all.

This is clearly not true everywhere. I saw just as much marketing as any other blockbuster

• Like 1

This is clearly not true everywhere. I saw just as much marketing as any other blockbuster

But it's clearly true in a lot of places judging by many people on this board who complained about the same thing. I'm sorry, but a movie just doesn't bleed OW admissions for no reason. And we know the reason wasn't poor reception of CF. Marketing is literally all it can be. Either lack of it, or unappealing marketing (not having action/games to show). Either way the problem will be remedied for MJ2. No way LG will let their gold mine go out without awareness, and there will be action to show this time.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

But it's clearly true in a lot of places judging by many people on this board who complained about the same thing. I'm sorry, but a movie just doesn't bleed OW admissions for no reason. And we know the reason wasn't poor reception of CF. Marketing is literally all it can be. Either lack of it, or unappealing marketing (not having action/games to show).

It's more that CF was the peak of the franchise

It's all about planning and shooting for 3D. Native is great, but if the film is not constructed and shot with 3D in mind, then it becomes somewhat irrelevant. A conversion that is planned and shot for 3D will always look better than a native film that isn't. Conversion is also a necessary tool until the cameras become lighter and more maneuverable (Gravity is converted for practical reasons and was completely shot for 3D). Other great conversions – Pacific Rim, STID, MIB 3, TASM 2, Edge of Tomorrow, Titanic, Jurassic Park, Top Gun. 

The 3D in TASM (native) vs TASM 2 (converted) shows that native isn't always better. When it comes to the 3D, the sequel is far superior. 

Alice in Wonderland wasn't shot in 3D but it was designed to be 3D in mind so the conversion is very good. Things like Titanic, The Wizard of Oz and Jurassic Park, they spent ages makes changes to make sure it look right in 3D, the sloppy conversion of Clash of the Titans is a great example of how not to do it.

• Like 1

I thought Alice was also originally intended to be 2D, at least when they did the principal photography? I always heard it wasn't meant to be 3D but was converted because of Avatar. Were people just conflating it with Clash of the Titans?

Edited by TServo2049

I thought Alice was also originally intended to be 2D, at least when they did the principal photography? I always heard it wasn't meant to be 3D but was converted because of Avatar. Were people just conflating it with Clash of the Titans?

Alice was always meant to be a 3D film but wasn't shot in 3D. Clash was meant to be 2D but got converted to 3D in six weeks even pushing back its release date by 1 week. 

400mln for MJ2 is quite hard to break, considering the some avoidance of MJ1, just grossed less than CF WW.

387mln DOM is the safest bet.

If it's not the 'most accurate prediction', it's the 'safest bet'. Are you a fortune teller?

• Like 1