chasmmi

If you could make any bad film good...

Which would you choose?

Sometimes films are disappointing, sometimes they are awful but you expected them to be anyway and sometimes a film is bad in a way that it's not just a disappointed but it actually ruins a genre/style/actor/franchise irrepairably.

I'm thinking about this third list. If you could change any bad film from the past and make it good, which would you choose and why? How could it have changed the face of box office/ cinema?

There are a few I have in mind:

1. D War (Dragon Wars) - One of the worst films ever made and a massive bomb. Many probably have never heard of this film but it was a Korean production using American actors and the first time a Korean directed an English language and wide release film.

It came out in 2007, when Korean Cinema was making waves all over the world and this was the film to showcase Korean filmmaking talent to a non-subtitle reading audience. ... and it is still to this day the worst cinematic release film I've ever seen (well second worst [Date Movie]). It arguably killed Korean cinema and filmmaking as a potential thing in Hollywood ala Hong Kong (John Woo etc) in the 90s.

2. Matrix Reloaded - I think Quentin Tarentino said that this is the one time he had watched a film and it actually somehoww managed to lower the quality of its predecessor and I sort of agree. A matrix trilogy sounded awesome when it was announced but it was so bad that not only did it kill the Matrix as a franchise, its still hurting the Wachowskis as directors AND makes it a little harder to enjoy the original due to being reminded of how it was followed up.

3. Pocahontas - Not as bad a film as the other two but I put it here because it ended the Rennaisance. If Pocahontas had been at least 80% as good as TLM, BATB, Aladdin or TLK then Hunchback may have been more readily accepted for the awesomeness it was as opposed to turning out to be a badly timed dark follow up to a dissappointing outing. This could have meant that Hercules would not have had to try so hard to be the new Aladdin and audiences would have still hung around for the greatness of Mulan and the future.  

Well for me because I am in the minority of people who hates the Star Wars original trilogy so it really did not bother me at all if the prequels were any good or not. Same with episode 7, I will watch it and it could be the first great (for me) Star Wars film and if so hurray. But if not, I'm not bothered.  

Of course I'd choose the Star Wars prequels, but here are some other choices:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - it almost killed the Trek movie franchise. There are bits and pieces of a potential good film in there, but lost under so much garbage. The only worry I have is whether we would have gotten the Star Trek VI we did if not for Star Trek V (though we almost didn't get that either, the studio was looking for any excuse to kill the film due to the failure of V still fresh in their memory, and a major executive change-up at Paramount was the only thing that saved it).

Star Trek Generations - I don't consider it a BAD movie, but I do consider it to be mediocre and a total wasted opportunity. The epic meeting of Kirk and Picard, and they do so little with it. In particular, the angle of Picard's brother and his family having died offscreen seems like a perfect setup for a parallel with Kirk having lost his son, yet that is never brought up at any point. The death of Kirk was also monumentally mishandled - killed by a freakin' bridge (and originally, shot in the back by Malcolm McDowell). Kirk should have gone out in a blaze of glory, in the captain's chair. Even more than V, there is a great movie struggling to get out.

• Like 1

I like the Star Wars prequels so I wouldn't put those.

Maybe Twilight. I love vampire teen stuff and Twilight was a miserable failure of a movie series. I'd love to see it done properly.

That or Transformers. Actually yeah, probably Transformers. Would be awesome to see a good Transformers live-action movie.

I like the Star Wars prequels so I wouldn't put those.

Maybe Twilight. I love vampire teen stuff and Twilight was a miserable failure of a movie series. I'd love to see it done properly.

That or Transformers. Actually yeah, probably Transformers. Would be awesome to see a good Transformers live-action movie.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

See my signature ↓↓

MOS, I really wish it was a great film.

This. It would be so nice to actually feel any genuine hype for the DCCU. 

On a related note, Green Lantern. 

I actually do not consider it bad... but a let-down. I liked the first two and thought the last one would elevate them (and explain some of the stranger choices of the first two). But it only is a 5 or 6 /10 for me... and brought down the entire trilogy a bit for making some of their plotlines redundant...

Glad you liked it :)

I actually do not consider it bad... but a let-down. I liked the first two and thought the last one would elevate them (and explain some of the stranger choices of the first two). But it only is a 5 or 6 /10 for me... and brought down the entire trilogy a bit for making some of their plotlines redundant...

Glad you liked it :)

It made the Tauriel-Kili story a lot worse but I don't think it did much harm to anything else from AUJ/DOS.