Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Ruin it? What, can't you sleep at night because someone somewhere didn't laugh at the joke you thought was funny?

Not laughing is fine, claiming its a sour note is inaccurate, anyone who finds this movie deeply offensive needs to get a life, find themselves a hobby or something, I don't care how offensive that sounds, it's true.

Edited by jessie

Lol, thinking a movie shouldn't be sexist makes me dumb?

Opinions are subjective.

In your opinion, it succeeded.

In my opinion, it failed.

You didn't state it as an opinion... you stated it as a fact.

• Like 1

Considering the film is hugely successful and going by both of my screenings in which the cinema was in uproar laughter during that final scene, it's safe to say it only left a sour taste for the minority whereas most people saw the humour in it.

For every hundred people that enjoyed it, there's always one who has to ruin it.

Sorry, how exactly am I ruining it? Not everyone has the same opinion. I'm well aware that most people like the film and don't have the same problems I do.

On Rotten Tomatoes, there are 47 critics and 11,600 users who didn't like the film. I suppose they are all ruining the film for you too?

And as said several times above, by myself and others, it is not just the final shot. The whole thing about how he gets to fuck a princess if he rescues her (20 mins before the end), in addition to the other gender issues in the film, it makes the film a huge problem for me. And, as I said before, I would still think it is a bad film even without it being sexist, as I think the movie has some major flaws.

You didn't state it as an opinion... you stated it as a fact.

Would you like me to say "In my opinion..." before every sentence regarding a topic which is inherently, necessarily, subjective? No one needs to remind others that it's just their opinion, because it is obviously just their opinion. Read any review of any film on any website, I doubt you'll find them saying, "In my opinion" before every word.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Sigh. We're not doing this again are we? 

Kingsman suffers from an unsettling amount of sexism. The only characters who don't think for themselves? Women.

But wasn't the whole reason the princess was locked up was because she was thinking for herself, instead of doing what Valentine wanted?

Even ignoring that, Roxy and Gazelle both often take their own initiative during tasks/missions they're in. The only reason we never see them disobey orders is because they're never in a situation where it makes logical sense for them to do so.

The only secret service agent too scared to jump out of a plane? The sole woman. 

You appear to mistaking 'sexism' with 'basic character flaw'. Roxy's fear of heights has nothing to do with her being a woman. It's simply a phobia she has to make her a more rounded character, the same way Indiana Jones is afraid of snakes. Claiming that a female in an action movie needs to be perfect in every way is almost as damaging as having her be useless. Also, let's point out, Roxy's the only female in the movie who shows that phobia. The logic here is akin to claiming Kingsman is prejudice against men because Charlie is a massive git.

Honestly, the reason people are getting so frustrated with you is less because of your opinion of the film and more because of your incredibly dodgy reasoning as to why its sexist. The only moment I could accept as arguably sexist was the ending shot and even then, I'd still say that's arguable at best. And like I said in the main Kingsman thread, considering the posts you made before watching it and your weak reasoning here, it feels like you already made up your mind that it was sexist before you saw it and simply nitpicked pieces here and there to support your arguments. And I, quite frankly, can't take that seriously, whether you're a woman or not. If you don't like the film, fine, more power to you. But don't try and push some preconceived notion that it's incredibly sexist without some better arguments.

• Like 8

That post reaches amazing levels of ignorance and idiocy, and reminds me why you are the dumbest poster on the forum, ruk.

Coming from you, I shall take that as a compliment.

Not noticing any real counterargument though.

Why would I bother providing a counter-argument to you?

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Mark Twain

Because when you respond to a detailed argument with nothing but insults at the person posting, it tends to, to put it eloquently, make it look like you're full of shit. And I'm sure neither of us would want people thinking that.

• Like 6

I partially agreed with you Treeroy (For me, Kingsman is still a male fantasy appealing to the "lads" and "bros" more than anything no matter how subversive it pretends to be so male chauvinism residuals are expected to remain in the material, its Millar's crass can't be washed away entirely) up until your childish insults formulated against one of the few articulate posters on here that politely takes his time to make argumented rebuttals to entire walls of text no matter if you agree or not, you're stooping pretty low instead of keeping a respectful conversation and I can't support your position anymore.

Edited by Red Room of Dash
  • Like 6

I partially agreed with you Treeroy (For me, Kingsman is still a male fantasy appealing to the "lads" and "bros" more than anything no matter how subversive it pretends to be so male chauvinism residuals are expected to remain in the material, its Millar's crass can't be washed away entirely) up until your childish insults formulated against one of the few articulate posters on here that politely takes his time to make argumented rebuttals to entire walls of text no matter if you agree or not, you're stooping pretty low instead of keeping a respectful conversation and I can't support your position anymore.

Fair enough. I just don't wish to argue with ruk. Man's gotta be honest.

Sigh. We're not doing this again are we?

But wasn't the whole reason the princess was locked up was because she was thinking for herself, instead of doing what Valentine wanted?

Even ignoring that, Roxy and Gazelle both often take their own initiative during tasks/missions they're in. The only reason we never see them disobey orders is because they're never in a situation where it makes logical sense for them to do so.

You appear to mistaking 'sexism' with 'basic character flaw'. Roxy's fear of heights has nothing to do with her being a woman. It's simply a phobia she has to make her a more rounded character, the same way Indiana Jones is afraid of snakes. Claiming that a female in an action movie needs to be perfect in every way is almost as damaging as having her be useless. Also, let's point out, Roxy's the only female in the movie who shows that phobia. The logic here is akin to claiming Kingsman is prejudice against men because Charlie is a massive git.

Honestly, the reason people are getting so frustrated with you is less because of your opinion of the film and more because of your incredibly dodgy reasoning as to why its sexist. The only moment I could accept as arguably sexist was the ending shot and even then, I'd still say that's arguable at best. And like I said in the main Kingsman thread, considering the posts you made before watching it and your weak reasoning here, it feels like you already made up your mind that it was sexist before you saw it and simply nitpicked pieces here and there to support your arguments. And I, quite frankly, can't take that seriously, whether you're a woman or not. If you don't like the film, fine, more power to you. But don't try and push some preconceived notion that it's incredibly sexist without some better arguments.

Drag a bit, sis.