Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I love pretty much everything that Vaughn has done and this is just another confirmation that his movies simply rock. He pulls you in with the very first scene and never lets go. I had a huge grin on my face during almost all action scenes and add to that great performances by Firth (and the courage to kill him off midway), Strong and the best Bond villain maybe ever from Jackson and you get an amazing movie.

9/10

• Like 1

"I'm a Catholic whore, currently enjoying congress out of wedlock with my black Jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic. Hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon madam." need I say more?

• Like 13

Can someone tell me why Eggsy is the top dog set on the mission to kill Valentine when Roxy is the actual Lancelot aka the new "Kingsman"? I mean he failed to be the new Kingsman against Roxy and somehow in the third act she's relegated in the backgound for the thankless nerd job of shooting a satellite strapped alone in the middle of nowhere while Eggsy is doing the supposed Kingsman's job (shooting cartoony bad guys in fancy ramped up slowmo and fancy outfits without a sweat on cool music for the crowd to cheer). Did I miss a reel?

Edited by Red Room of Dash
  • Like 3

Can someone tell me why Eggsy is the top dog set on the mission to kill Valentine when Roxy is the actual Lancelot aka the new "Kingsman"? I mean he failed to be the new Kingsman against Roxy and somehow in the third act she's relegated in the backgound for the thankless nerd job of shooting a satellite strapped alone in the middle of nowhere while Eggsy is doing the supposed Kingsman's job (shooting cartoony bad guys in fancy ramped up slowmo and fancy outfits without a sweat on cool music for the crowd to cheer). Did I miss a reel?

I think it was that through Firths death, Eggsy really grew up and became a true Kingsman following in his footsteps, thus he was actually the best candidate. But I do agree with your point, it didn't bother me to much though. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

Because Eggsy basically cracked the case and im guessing he wanted to avenge his mentors death. Besides it would have been anti climatic if the main star throughout the movie not to take part in the action at the end if the film. I don't get why she couldn't do more though, I thought it would be her to take put Jackson's muscle at some point.

Edited by jessie

I think it was that through Firths death, Eggsy really grew up and became a true Kingsman following in his footsteps, thus he was actually the best candidate. But I do agree with your point, it didn't bother me to much though. 

Yeah I get the "Ben Kenobi-Luke passing the mantle" aspect of Hart's death to put Eggsy in the foreground as his worthy padawan but it kinda tramples on the Kingsman's order in the process. So Eggsy intronized himself Kingsman unofficially disrupting the protocol and bypassing the actual and official Kingsman Lancelot aka Roxy. What manners are those? Not that gentleman-ish. :lol:

• Like 1

Because Eggsy basically cracked the case and im guessing he wanted to avenge his mentors death. Besides it would have been anti climatic if the main star throughout the movie not to take part in the action at the end if the film. I don't get why she couldn't do more though, I thought it would be her to take put Jackson's muscle at some point.

Yeah I was waiting Roxy vs Gazelle showdown and it never came.

• Like 1

Yeah I get the "Ben Kenobi-Luke passing the mantle" aspect of Hart's death to put Eggsy in the foreground as his worthy padawan but it kinda tramples on the Kingsman's order in the process. So Eggsy intronized himself Kingsman unofficially disrupting the protocol and bypassing the actual and official Kingsman Lancelot aka Roxy. What manners are those? Not that gentleman-ish. :lol:

They replace anyone who dies as well so it would be logical for eggsy to become part of kingsman, it's as if he slithered his way back through the doors and never discussed it lol

End of the day, yes you are right hahah.

• Like 2

I assume it's because they needed Eggsy to impersonate Arthur (since Chester King is a rather unlikely name for a woman) and since they needed someone to fire the missile and they had no-one else available (since Merlin was running Mission Control), they had to send Roxy rather than use her as back-up for Eggsy and Merlin.

I'll admit though, I would've preferred to see her kick ass as well.

• Like 2

I assume it's because they needed Eggsy to impersonate Arthur (since Chester King is a rather unlikely name for a woman) and since they needed someone to fire the missile and they had no-one else available (since Merlin was running Mission Control), they had to send Roxy rather than use her as back-up for Eggsy and Merlin.

This is what I assumed.

Thanks for the Arthur's impersonation explanation but wouldn't Valentine have busted the trick way earlier since he knows what Arthur looks like since (I assume) he met all the people he put a chip onto personally inquiring them to join his evil plan. For a technology savvy genius, his firewall and ID security management devices kinda suck if young lad Eggsy can impersonate a 75 year old guy barefaced. Well, at this point, I didn't care if it made any sense at all, I was just rolling with it and went through the motions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Arthur's impersonation explanation but wouldn't Valentine have busted the trick way earlier since he knows what Arthur looks like since (I assume) that he met all of the people he put a chip onto personally to ask them to join his evil plan. For a technology savvy genius, his firewall and ID security management devices kinda suck if young lad Eggsy can impersonate a 75 year old guy barefaced. Well, at this point, I didn't care if it made any sense at all, I was just rolling with it and went through the motions.

They mentioned the cell phone was the invitation and disabled the missile defense system and the people who greeted Eggsy apparently didn't bother to match with pictures because...well that's pretty dumb. Valentine wasn't actively monitoring.

• Like 1

The movie was a really fun time and Samuel L Jackson rocked it as the villain. The movie is everything the new bond films lack, it is highly stylized and enjoyable. It does take some time for it to pick up the pace but once it does it's a fun ride.

A very solid B+

• Like 1

It's amazing!

Vaughn goes for broke and doesn't give a rat's ass about movie making formulas, going with sharp and clever storytelling, with a lot of brilliant subtext thrown in (especially the Church sequence). The result is one hell of a good time. Smart, entertaining, and hilarious in so many different ways.

Forget Kim Jong Un and Firework, dat Pomp and Circumstance sequence.

• Like 1

The movie was a really fun time and Samuel L Jackson rocked it as the villain. The movie is everything the new bond films lack, it is highly stylized and enjoyable. It does take some time for it to pick up the pace but once it does it's a fun ride.

A very solid B+

Sam Jackson really does go all in, I loved him.

Nothing like greeting your hero with a 'Sup, man'

This movie is just lots of fun! It's funny, it's action packed,and overall I liked it especially Samuel L. Jackson as the villain man he was fun and I liked the lead character as well. A few other things I also liked the opening with dire straits playing and the church scene with freebird playing wow that scene was badass and I also liked the princess's ass that was nice. Anyway the most fun film I've have had a movie this year and the most fun and good spy movie Grade:B(87)

• Like 3

Superb! 

Best of the year!

...out of two movies.

However, probably the only movie which will be good, or I would have seen until Avengers. The other was Blackhat, which was crap. Nothing else interests me.

But, seriously, this movie is a massive crowd pleaser. Need to rewatch it again to see where it ranks in terms of other crowd pleasing blockbusters with style, wit and fun. Great movie.

• Like 3