Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

But we have seen in the past a lot of movies nommed despite a dificult subject matter and a dark/cold approach. It's difficult to say when they're going to support a movie.

Like what? Winter Bones, a total anomaly?

I'm just saying, Beasts of No Nation had so many thing going against and I'm skeptical to believe it even had the intention of being some awards-player.

How about subject matter and its approach? Ultimately two (arguably three if you are listening to the pundits) titles that seemed they could make a splash this year have fallen through because they are too dark or cold: Beasts of No Nation, Son of Saul and (in coldness) Carol.

That seems to harm Beasts Oscar chances coming out of the gates. Even when it was buzzing a bit people would shut it down for these reasons.

It might exclude them from winning but cold, distant and brutal movies get nominated for BP all the time. Although they must have some critical support behind them and do good in the BO relatively to their budget. 

Beasts of No Nation has the critic support but no boxoffice. But i think its biggest obsticle was the release pattern. If it was an only-at-theatres  movie at least for 1 or 2 months, it would be fine. Even if it made under 10M in that time, it would look more legit. No it looks like a TV movie that also played in some theatres because Netflix got money to burn. The movie is certainly a success for Netflix's brand and prestige but if they were seriously aiming for some award attention, that was a terrible release strategy. 

Like what? Winter Bones, a total anomaly?

I'm just saying, Beasts of No Nation had so many thing going against and I'm skeptical to believe it even had the intention of being some awards-player.

The Pianist, No Country for Old Men, Amour, There will be blood...

Okay I believe this is my first attempt for BP predicts this year!

Here I go:

Bridge of Spies

Carol

Hateful 8

Inside Out

Joy

The Martian

The Revenant

Steve Jobs

The Walk

I could see Brand in Crisis getting nominated, possible Black Mass as well-depends on how big the film is. The Walk is something I am iffy on-but given the director and the old school feel of it.  Heart of the Sea? Maybe-it did get delayed till Oscar season after all.

Not sure if the Walk will be nominated anymore.

As I said earlier I could see Joy winning, but the thing is that dark comedies don't win best picture-it has the Fargo vibe going for it.

Update:

Bridge of Spies

Carol

Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Joy

The Martian

The Revenant

Steve Jobs

With In the Heart of the Sea looking in right now.

I think Joy and Spotlight have a much better chance to win it than the Revenant. You have to figure in that Inarritu had his moment just a few months ago.

Agree

Some are saying the martian could also take it if joy tanks..

not so sure but i think it's loved across the board so..

The real question is this:

If Joy tanks (i seriously hope it succeeds), what will win BP? Assuming they don't wanna go a second year for Innaritu, we're only left with..

Spotlight? Jobs? 

Or even the Big Short?

Looks like a weird year

Edited by MinaTakla

For what it's worth, apparently the Big Short blew the roof off the place at a WGA screening last night. Standing ovation and everything. Might be more of a contender than alot of us thought, especially for Carrell and Bale.